Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > A Grave Celebration: Minus 1 Star

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments A Grave Celebration (Lady of Ashes, #6) by Christine Trent

A Grave Celebration, Christine Trent

MINUS ★

Holy Mole, Posole! What an unmitigated waste of time, paper, & ink!

This was once such a wonderful & novel (pun intended) series. Lady Violet, 1890's, England's only Female undertaker, Snoop for Queen Victoria.

Originally Violet's undertakings (again a pun intended) dealt with her undertakings, deaths, funeral practices, sleuthing out murders & murderers. Really interesting & attention holding stories.

This one focused mostly on the machinations of politicians & the opening ceremonies of the Suez Canal.... Sure there were murders, but as the bodies were whisked away before Violet had any time with them; the reader wasn't treated on any of Violets usual observations or preparations.

The people were ugly, egotistical, & without redeeming qualities. There really wasn't much of a tangible story and the underlying story wasn't at all apparent until the very last chapter when Violet explained "who-done-it" in the most improbable place & manner.

All the pomp & pomposity of the "dignitaries" was boring; so much so that I was almost bored to death (again a pun intended) and Violet (had she been in attendance) would never have been able to figure this one out.

I had to request this from another Library System.... Glad we didn't waste our budget $$$$ on this one. So, I guess I will no longer be reading anything more in this series.

message 2: by annapi (new)

annapi | 4914 comments LOL I love your reviews of bad books!

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly Ann (auntie-nanuuq) | 753 comments annapi wrote: "LOL I love your reviews of bad books!"

Might as well make the best of a bad thing.... I aim to entertain!