A Stitcher's Book Club discussion

Archives > Buddy picks TBR for February 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 110 (110 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie (purplebookishfrog) | 345 comments Mod
I’m terribly sorry for the long delay and extremely short notice for the Buddy Picks TBR for February 2020. Please forgive me!
Sign ups for this fun event will run from today until 25 January 2020. I’m in the UK so the deadline for sign up will be midnight GMT London time 😀.

Each person participating needs to create a new Shelf on their TBR profile and Name it “Stitcher’s Book Club” or “SBC” and fill it with a minimum of 3 books that you would like to read (if you participated on The previous rounds, ensure that your shelf is up to date). You must keep it updated and only put books that you already own or can source quickly from Libraries etc. It must be ready for your Buddy to browse and pick a book for you by 26 January 2020.

To make things easier I shall make a schedule list below so you know what will happen and when until 01 February 2020 when you are able to read the book. You can find this at the bottom of this post.

If you would like to join up please comment below.

I shall pair you all up using a random app and announce your Buddy on 26 January 2020. You must have your TBR shelf updated by midnight 26 January 2020 (GMT) to allow your buddy to begin browsing and choose a book for you by end of day 28 January 2020. This will allow time for you all to source the book chosen for you.

There are no prompts or themes for this however you are welcome to use the prompts from the other challenges when choosing your book for your shelf if you like.

Any questions or opinions please let me know in the comments below 😀

Schedule:

22 - 25 January 2020: Sign Ups and creating or Updating SBC TBR Shelf.

26 January 2020: Buddy Selected and announced. SBC TBR Shelf to be fully updated.

26 - 28 January 2020: Buddies to browse and announce each other’s chosen book.

28 - 31 January 2020: Get the chosen books ready for 01 February 2020

01 February 2020: Happy Reading!

message 2: by Eden (new)

Eden | 661 comments Mod
I’m signing up!

message 3: by Bonnie (new)

Yay! Me too of course! 🤩

message 4: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments I'd love to participate again, so please sign me up too.

message 5: by Bonnie (new)

3 of us so far. Might be a cozy event this time Round 🤗.

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Sign me up!

message 7: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments Bonnie wrote: "3 of us so far. Might be a cozy event this time Round 🤗."

There's an added bonus to having a small group Bonnie... we could pick a book for two people each instead of one! #crazy

message 8: by Bonnie (new)

Oooh you mean step it up a notch!! I’m game if everyone else is!😃

message 9: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments Bonnie wrote: "Oooh you mean step it up a notch!! I’m game if everyone else is!😃"

I'm game! I need to read 6 books each month to reach my annual goal of 75 books so I don't mind if a buddy chooses two of them 😃 I guess we need to see if anyone/everyone else is game too.

message 10: by Bonnie (new)

Perhaps the nice everyone has been assigned their buddy, each person can define how many books needs to be chosen for the month.

message 11: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments Bonnie wrote: "Perhaps the nice everyone has been assigned their buddy, each person can define how many books needs to be chosen for the month."

Great idea, or we could tell you when we sign up so you can match ppl with a buddy who wants to read the same amount.

message 12: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 184 comments Hello everyone, I'm in!! I'm new to the group, and this is my first buddy read, so please be patient with me :) Not really sure how this works. So, once we have a buddy, do we each choose a book off each other's SBC, so essentially reading 2 books?

message 13: by Bonnie (new)

Hi. Welcome to the club!

The Buddy Picks TBR event is more of a choose a book for your buddy to read kind of thing. The amount of books your buddy can choose for you is entirely up to you 😀.

A buddy read is two or more people reading the same book I think 🤔 which might be a thing within this book club later on in the future 🤓.

message 14: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 184 comments Bonnie wrote: "Hi. Welcome to the club!

The Buddy Picks TBR event is more of a choose a book for your buddy to read kind of thing. The amount of books your buddy can choose for you is entirely up to you 😀...."

Ah ok, that makes sense! Pick vs Read... gotcha :) Thanks for letting me know.

message 15: by Bonnie (new)

No worries 😃. I can see you are reading the whisper man, it’s on my TBR. How far I to it are you?

message 16: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 184 comments Bonnie wrote: "No worries 😃. I can see you are reading the whisper man, it’s on my TBR. How far I to it are you?"

I literally just finished listening to it on audiobook about 10 minutes ago, it's really good - 5 stars!! The narrator was a little flat, so I think reading it in ebook or print format would make for an even better reading experience.

message 17: by Bonnie (new)

I have it on my Stitcher’s book club shelf as an option for the February buddy picks TBR. Thanks for the tip re thy r audiobook. Glad you enjoyed the book.

message 18: by Bonnie (new)

Tracey I’m happy with your suggestion te stating how many books you wish to read for
Each month during sign ups and then I try to pair up accordingly as best I can.

message 19: by Bonnie (new)

Can all those who have already signed up to the February buddy picks TBR state how many books you wish to read.

Any who hasn’t already signed up, please do sign up and state the number of books you wish to have chosen.

Thanks everyone x

message 20: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments Awesome, thanks Bonnie! I'm definitely up for having 2 books chosen for me in February's buddy pick. So glad you'll be joining us Janice 😃

message 21: by Bonnie (new)

I will just have 1 book chosen for me (with the potential for a second book 😝)

message 22: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Fantastic idea - Tracey! I have two books picked for me!

message 23: by Eden (new)

Eden | 661 comments Mod
Hi Janice!!! So so so happy to have you join us!!

As far as having 2 books picked, I’m game! But I haven’t finished my one for January yet 😂 Maybe it’ll push me more!

message 24: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 184 comments I'm good for two books as well! Thanks for letting me know about this Tracey xo

message 25: by Bonnie (new)

Since everyone is going for two books, I'll change mine to two as well! I'll just have to push through too.

My being unwell for most of January has allowed me to read a lot but February won't be the same as I'll be hoping to be a picture of health, back to work and back to the gym - not to mention the hopeful return of my Stitchy bug.

message 26: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments Janice wrote: "I'm good for two books as well! Thanks for letting me know about this Tracey xo"

You're welcome Janice, I thought you might enjoy this group 😃

message 27: by Bonnie (new)

Okay the moment we have all been waiting for..... the buddy allocation list!!

Everyone has opted for two books to be chosen for them. The buddies are as follows:

Jenny to choose for Eden

Janice to choose for Bonnie

Bonnie to choose for Tracey Allen

Tracey Allen to choose for Jenny

Eden to choose for Janice

Happy Reading Everyone.

message 28: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 184 comments Hey ho so excited!! Will be adding books today, sorry for the delay... were putting our house up for sale so have been dealing with agents etc... thanks for your patience!

message 29: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments Woohoo, thanks Bonnie. Jenny, you have 41 books on your shelf and I’m not familiar with many of them so will need to take a good look so I can make an informed decision. Stay tuned! What fun 😃

message 30: by Bonnie (new)

Tracey Allen I have looked at your shelf and I choose for you:

The Nancys by R.W.R McDonald

And

The Bees by Laline Paull

I hope you enjoy them x

message 31: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 184 comments Hi Bonnie, I've looked at your shelf and have picked the following books for you:

The Unhoneymooners - because...
- you're reading some heavy mysteries right now
- this has overwhelming 5 stars ratings from fellow friends
- it will be a short and light read for you!

The Whisper Man - because...
- you like mysteries
- I just finished it and think you'll really like it!

Hope you enjoy my picks! xo

message 32: by Bonnie (new)

Yasss! Loving the book choices Janice. Thank you so much 😊. I assume you’d like me to read them in that order?

message 33: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 184 comments Bonnie wrote: "Yasss! Loving the book choices Janice. Thank you so much 😊. I assume you’d like me to read them in that order?"

Yay!! Any order is fine, whatever suits you!

message 34: by Bonnie (new)

I’m so excited for February 1st now. I think I’m going to read them in your order as well.

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Eden, the books I have decided for you are:

1. Circe by Madeline Miller
Circe by Madeline Miller

2. Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
Divergent by Veronica Roth

message 36: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Tracey Allen wrote: "Woohoo, thanks Bonnie. Jenny, you have 41 books on your shelf and I’m not familiar with many of them so will need to take a good look so I can make an informed decision. Stay tuned! What fun 😃"

Tracey, it would not be much fun if I made it easy for you to pick a book for me. :)

message 37: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments Bonnie wrote: "Tracey Allen I have looked at your shelf and I choose for you: The Nancys by R.W.R McDonald And The Bees by Laline Paull

I hope you enjoy them"

Thanks heaps Bonnie. One is an unsolicited ARC and one is from my own backlist, so great balance, thanks :-) I'll add them to my Up Next bookshelf and let you know how I get on.

message 38: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments Jenny wrote: "Tracey, it would not be much fun if I made it easy for you to pick a book for me."

Absolutely right. jenny, I've chosen the following two books for you:

Shatter by Michael Robotham because it's the only book on your shelf I've read and can recommend. I enjoyed it and gave it 4 stars so I hope you enjoy it too.

Next I chose Blood Dreams by Kay Hooper because you and I have discussed her books before.

I hope you enjoy them both! 😊

message 39: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments Janice wrote: "Hi Bonnie, I've looked at your shelf and have picked the following books for you..."

Wow Janice, I love the thoughtfulness behind your buddy picks for Bonnie. Brilliant!

message 40: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 184 comments Tracey Allen wrote: "Janice wrote: "Hi Bonnie, I've looked at your shelf and have picked the following books for you..."

Wow Janice, I love the thoughtfulness behind your buddy picks for Bonnie. Brilliant!"

Aw Tracey, you're the best!! Thanks for the intro to this group - love this format! x

message 41: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Tracey Allen wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Tracey, it would not be much fun if I made it easy for you to pick a book for me."

Absolutely right. jenny, I've chosen the following two books for you:

Shatter by Mi..."

Thanks, Tracey. Looking forward to reading the two books you selected for me!

message 42: by Eden (new)

Eden | 661 comments Mod
Janice!!!

I choose Chestnut Street (I've heard WONDERFUL things about this author) and Permed to Death. I love a good cozy mystery :D

I hope you're happy with my choices :)

message 43: by Eden (last edited Jan 28, 2020 08:56AM) (new)

Eden | 661 comments Mod
Jenny wrote: "Eden, the books I have decided for you are:

1. Circe by Madeline Miller
Circe by Madeline Miller

2. Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth
Divergent by ..."

WOO!!! These are so exciting! I've been wanting to read these since they came out :) (Long time in the case of Divergent XD) Thank you!

message 44: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 184 comments Eden wrote: "Janice!!!

I choose Chestnut Street (I've heard WONDERFUL things about this author) and Permed to Death. I love a good cozy mystery :D

I hope you're happy with my choices :)"

Oooo yay!! Awesomeness :)

I love Maeve Binchy, I read most of her books years ago, and I just happened upon this collection of short stories on Overdrive. It was her last book, narrated by her daughter.

And the cozy mystery Permed... saw this on a friends' feed and thought it looked fun and light!

Thanks for the great choices Eden, diving in early now... can't wait for Feb 1 LOL! xo

message 45: by Bonnie (new)

Janice behave!
You must wait until the 1st!!!!! ☝️☝️

Only kidding lol. Get cracking!!!!

message 46: by Bonnie (new)

Tracey you are right. Such a thoughtful selection. Can’t wait to read my choices Janice. Tried to find the physical copy of the Unhoneymooners in the library but nope no luck. Guess it’s gonna have to be a kindle read.

Can’t wait! But I’m going to behave myself and wait until 1st as I want to try and finish the flower girls by 31st jan.

message 47: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 184 comments Bonnie wrote: "Janice behave!
You must wait until the 1st!!!!! ☝️☝️

Only kidding lol. Get cracking!!!!"

BUSTED!! LOL

message 48: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments 1st Feb: Ready, Set... Janice runs past already up to page 100 on her first book 🤣

message 49: by Tracey Allen (new)

Tracey Allen at Carpe Librum (carpelibrum) | 441 comments And how cool is it that Eden has added a few of the buddy pick books to her TBR? Talk about busted! 🤗

message 50: by Janice (new)

Janice Boychuk (janice_boychuk) | 184 comments Tracey Allen wrote: "And how cool is it that Eden has added a few of the buddy pick books to her TBR? Talk about busted! 🤗"

Yessss!!! I'll be sure to let Eden know if they are worth keeping on her TBR shelf.

I have 8 books on Overdrive right now, all due in 2-3 weeks so I have to get a head start! :O They all seem to come through at the same time... my fault for putting so many on hold, but I'm like a kid in a candy store LOL

« previous 1 3