Mount TBR 2020 discussion

Mt. Kilimanjaro (60 books) > Lynn's level 60 2020 climb!

Comments Showing 1-50 of 129 (129 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments My first review of the year!
Today's post is on Heaven's Will by Satotu Takamiya. It is 200 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat. The cover has the two main characters on it. The intended reader is someone who likes manga and strange stories. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from third person close of the main character Mikuzu. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Sudou Mikuzu has a very special talent--she can see ghosts. And because of this predisposition, she's become a magnet for all sorts of unwelcome monsters. Luckily for her she's just met Seto, a friendly, cross-dressing young exorcist. Sudou needs protection from all the creepy phantoms bugging her, and Seto needs to practice his exorcism skills. Consequently, the pair decides to team up and help each other. In return, Sudou promises to bake a cake every time a ghost gets zapped!

Review- A very strange, complicated story about two teens. We start with a very basic story about one girl how can see spirits but is very afraid of them and then she meets the other characters who can fight the spirits. But there is so much more than that going on. Seto wants to die so that his sister can use his body to live again but does his sister want for herself? Mikuzu wants to help Seto but she is still learning to not to afraid of everything and it ends on a ambiguous ending with the character still in the same places they were at the beginning. I am not sure about this manga but it was not bad, just not what I was expecting.

I give this volume a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 2: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on Skip Beat!, volume 12 by Yoshiki Nakamura. It is 200 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat. The cover has Kyoko as Mio and Ren as Katsuki on it. The intended reader is someone who has read the first eleven volumes, likes comedy and shojo manga. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from third person close of the main characters. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Kyoko's determination to help Ren continues as she lends a friendly ear- in her chicken suit. Ren opens up and confides in Chicken Bo, but is Kyoko really ready to deal with his lovelorn confession? To make matters worse, Ren's been given an ultimatum by th LME president, and if he can't act right by end of the week, he's out on his ear!

Review- We pick up right where we left off in the previous volume. Ren is trying to deal with his feeling for Kyoko and she has no clue about what he is dealing with. They have some serious moments in this volume as Kyoko helps him find his Katsuki and accidentally pulls out the real man, Koun, from the mask that he wears all the time. Not much more happens in this volume, it really is about what is going on in Ren's mind and some of what is going on in his heart. In the next volume we get to see if Ren can prove himself and keep working on this drama.

I give this this volume a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 3: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 2 down

message 4: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today’s post is on The Wolf-Boy is Mine, volume 1 by Yoko Nogiri. It is 160 pages long and is published by Kodansha Comics. The cover has the wolf boy Yu Ogami on it. The intended reader is someone who likes shojo manga, high school love stories, and paranormal love stories. There is no foul language, no sex, discussing of bulling and mild violence. The story is told from third person close of the main character Komugi. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book - Komugi’s not sure what to expect when her family moves to the remote northern island of Hokkaido, and she starts at a new high school. But she certainly didn’t expect a boy to come up to her and say, “Gee…you smell good, somehow!” That boy is Yu Ogami, and Komugi finds herself strangely drawn to him. But when she sees him in an unguarded moment, she discovers he’s a werewolf! Now she has a choice to make: to keep his secret, or to ask for help and risk angering a wolf-boy?

Review – A cute start to a high school love story. Komugi has moved because she was dealing with some bad bullying from other girls so she goes to live with her father, who she has not seen in many years. At first everything is okay but she attracts the attention of the cute popular boy Yu. Cue bullying, like what she had experienced before but the popular boys stop it. The real complication is that the cute boys in school are yokai, supernatural beings, and other normal humans cannot know about their real nature. I think that this series is going to be sadder than my other more recent series but I like the art, the characters are interesting and sympathetic, the world is getting more fleshed out with each chapter; so I am on board for this cute love story and I will hope for the best.

I give this manga a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 5: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 3 down

message 6: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on Midnight Secretary, volume 1 by Tomu Ohmi. It is 188 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat. It is the first in the series. The cover is purple with the two main characters on it looking at the reader. The intended reader is someone who likes romance with adults characters and vampires. There is mild foul language, sexuality, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from first person close of the main character Kaya. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book - Kaya Soatzuka prides herself on being an excellent secretary and a consummate professional, so she doesn't even bat an eye when she's reassigned to the office of her company's difficult director, Kyohei Tohma. He's as prickly- and hot- as rumors paint him, but Kaya is unfazed... until she discovers that he's a vampire.

Review - It has been a while since I have a josei series so this was a nice change of pace for my manga reading. All the characters in this manga are adults, they have jobs and responsibilities, they have personal goals, and they have sex lives. Kyohei wants a cute secretary but Kaya is very careful about how she is seen as she is very professional. I like all the characters so far, the plot is very standard but the characters are interesting enough that I had a good time reading it. I am very curious about how the romance between Kaya and Kyohei is going to happen and I am sure that there will be some great over-the-top drama coming in the next seven volumes and I look forward to it.

I give this manga a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 7: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 4 down

message 8: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on My Next Life as a Villainess: All Routes Lead to Doom, volume 2 by Satoru Yamaguchi and Nami Hidaka. It is 166 pages long and is published by Seven Seas. It is the second volume in the series.The cover has Katarina and two of her friends on it. The intended reader is someone who has read the first volume and comedy stories. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from the third person close of the Katarina. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- MAGIC SCHOOL’S IN SESSION
Unexpectedly reincarnated into the setting of her favorite video game, Katarina swiftly realized that she was the villain of the story–doomed to death or exile, no matter what future came to pass! Armed with that knowledge, she’s done everything she can (with maybe a few blunders along the way) to try and change her fate. Now the stakes are higher than ever, because it’s time for her to begin studying at the country’s magic Academy. What’s waiting there is the greatest threat of all…the true heroine of her new world’s story!

Review- We pick up right where the first volume with Katarina starting at the magic high school and she is working hard to not be killed by anyone! She does not realize that she has changed the story so much that none of her friends would turn on her. In this volume Katarina meets the heroine Maria Campbell. Maria is very sweet, a hard worker, and Katarina, being as open-hearted as she is, likes her too. She saves Maria from bullying and is making Maria love her too. Other than meeting Maria not much happens in this volume but it is still a good volume and I am curious about where the plot is going on that Maria is friends with Katarina and none of the capture targets are interested in Maria.

I give this manga a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought with this manga with my own money.

message 9: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 5 down

message 10: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today’s post is on Daytime Shooting Star, volume 1 by Mika Yamamori. It is 200 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat. The cover is light blue with the main characters on it. The intended reader is someone who likes high school manga, shojo manga, and drama. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from third person close of the main character, Suzume. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Optimistic high schooler Suzume moves to Tokyo and finds her heart caught between two men!
After arriving in Tokyo to live with her uncle, Suzume collapses in a nearby park where she had once seen a shooting star during the day. A handsome stranger brings her to her new home and tells her they’ll meet again. Suzume starts her first day at her new high school sitting next to a boy who blushes furiously at her touch. And her homeroom teacher is none other than the handsome stranger!

Review- A good start to a series. The story starts with Suzume at her old school before the move, just living her life. She is aimless without any ambitions when her father gets a job overseas, her mother goes with him, and Suzume gets moved to live with her uncle in Tokyo. She has to learn how to make friends, as everyone she knew, she has known her own life, and learn to deal with bullying from other girls. Suzume is young, inexperienced, and overly optimistic about everything. But I like her she is learning and not afraid to make mistakes, and I think that she is going to make some big ones. Of the two male leads I like her fellow student much better than the teacher, so I am pulling for him to win her heart. I look forward to seeing where Suzume goes and what happens to her on the way.

I give this volume a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 11: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 6 down

message 12: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on Skip Beat!, volume 13 by Yoshiki Nakamura. It is 2058 pages and is published by Shojo Beat. The cover has Kyoko in a bikini being cute. The intended reader is someone who has read the first twelve volumes, like comedy and shojo manga series. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from third person close of Kyoko with a little bit of Ren on the side. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Ren's acting test is about to begin, with his entire future hanging in the balance, and he's managed to make his leading lady Itsumi mad at him. Rather than confront him directly, Itsumi decides to hit him where it hurt. Will she sabotage his test, or will Ren be able to get it together and use his legendary acting ability to lead her through this scene?

Review- An excellent volume with lots of things going on. Ren does make the cut, Kyoko has a moment of freak out because she is afraid that she is falling for him, and President Lori discovers that Ren is in love with Kyoko. We get to see more into Ren's mind concerning Kyoko and his feelings. Most of the volume is Ren's test and the filming of the scene. We do get a scene with Kyoko and Ren at the end with Kyoko trying to give magic from her blue stone corn and telling him about how she saw him when they met as children. Not much character or plot development, just seeing how Ren is going to handle his feelings for Kyoko and Kyoko being herself.

I give this volume a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 13: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 7 down

message 14: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on Skip Beat!, volume 14 by Yoshoki Nakamura. It is 200 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat. the cover has Kyoko as Little Red Riding Hood and a wolf on it. As it the fourteenth volume you need to have read the first thirteen to understand the story. There is no fou language, no sex or sexuality, and mild violence in this volume. There story is told from third person close of the characters. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Vie Ghoul is the new band burning up the charts by stealing Sho's moves, and Kyoko's hopping mad on his behalf. Kyoko's confrontation with Sho about his lack of action doesn't go will as she hoped - Sho get violent and the frontman for Vie Ghoul gets a good look at Kyoko's demons. And both men seem a little more interested in Kyoko than Ren would like...

Review- In this volume we see how Kyoko and Sho's relationship has changed, that she is not just nuts over him and he does not know what to do about it. Add in Ren's confusion and conflict about his feelings for Kyoko you have his part of the volume. Kyoko and Sho have a big fight about Sho's passive attitude about Vie Ghoul stealing his style and he blows up at her and hits her. Sho keeps surprising me with how much of a jerk he is. The volume is really about Sho deciding to be a pop star, I guess. I think that these Vie Ghoul's lead singer is going to be trouble for Kyoko in the future. But I am looking forward to seeing where she goes next.

I give this volume a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 15: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 8 down

message 16: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 17: The Demon by Yu Watase. It is 193 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat. The cover is Miaka and Take with Suzaku behind them. It is the seventeenth in her long running series and you need to have to have read the rest of the series to understand what is going on. There is no foul language, mild sexuality and mild violence in this manga. The story is told from third person close of the main character Miaka. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- An enormous explosion rocks Taka's apartment complex with Taka is inside, and as fire engulfs the building, an image of the demon god Tenko appears in the flames Could Taka have been injured in the blast, or, worse, have fallen into Tenko's clutches? When Tenko steals the four stones that Miaka has already collected, is all hope lost for the return of Taka's memories? And will Tenko's manipulation of Taka and Miaka's friends slowly drive wedges between them and ensure their defeat?

Review- So much drama in this volume from Tasuki getting mind controlled to finding the 'real' Tamahome at the end, little bit of everything happens. Taka is trying to discover if he is real or not, does Miaka really love him or is he just a shadow of Tamahome? The memory stones are gone but they may have been used to create the Tamahome that we see at the end of the volume. So much as happened in this series and I am very curious about how this is going to end and if any more characters are going to die to save both worlds.

I give this this volume a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 17: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 9 down

message 18: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on That Wolf-Boy is Mine!, volume 2 by Yoko Nogiri. It is 160 pages long and is published by Kodansha Comics. The cover is blue with Rin, the fox, on it. It is the second volume in this series and you need to have read the first volume to understand what is going on. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this manga volume. The story is told from third person close of the main character Komugi. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Komugi, the new girl at school, has sworn to protect the secret of Yu lupine identity. But in the midst of their growing friendship, she blurts out a startling confession- one that could upset her relationship with Yu, his crew, and even the delicate balance between humans and spirits. Meanwhile, Yu sharp, sly friend Rin takes matters into how own hands and tries to speak some sense into Komugi. It's not long before he realizes that this strange human girl just might be growing on him, too!

Review- Teen drama abounds in this volume. Komugi and Yu deal with her confession by just trying to pretend it never happened. Of course that is not going to work at all. Lots of plot movement in this volume with Komugi doing her best to handle her feelings but Yu is not helping. He wants to be close to her and does not think about how that might be hurting her. Rin sees all that and he does not know what to do, he wants to protect himself and his friends but he does not want to see Komugi struggle with her feelings. We may have a love triangle in this future but as this is a shirt series with only two more volumes, it will be interesting to see what happens next.

message 19: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 10 down

message 20: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on Fushigi Yûgi: The Mysterious Play, Vol. 18: Bride by Yu Watase. It is 193 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat. The cover is Miaka and Take with Suzaku behind them. It is the seventeenth in her long running series and you need to have to have read the rest of the series to understand what is going on. There is no foul language, mild sexuality and mild violence in this manga. The story is told from third person close of the main character Miaka. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Bride: Miaka has been fighting a battle across two different worlds to keep Taka, the human incarnation of her true love Tamahome, from vanishing. But what could it mean when Tamahome himself returns to confront Miaka and Taka? The answer to this riddle leads Miaka and the Seven Celestial Warriors to the stunning finale of the best-selling Fushigi Yûgi series.

Review- What an ending to an incredible series. Miaka and Taka are the only ones who can summon Suzaku to save both worlds. Their true love stops the bad guy from winning and they get to live happily ever after. This series has everything in it from betrayal, true love, kung-fu fighting, gods, different worlds, and everything else I cannot think to list. The characters were so interesting, the plot was very intense and you just never knew what was going to happen next, and the art was just Five star by itself. I know that some readers have some problems with some of the plot or characters but in general I have enjoyed every moment of this series. There is a reason this series is a classic of the shojo genre and I would recommend this series.

I give this this volume a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 21: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 11 down

message 22: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on Skip Beat!, vol. 15 by Yoshilo Nakamura. It is 210 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat. The cover has Sho dressed has a white knight. As it is the fifteenth volume in this long running series you need to have read the first fourteen. There is no foul language, no sex, and mild violence in this manga. The story is told from third person close of Kyoko and some parts others characters to add to the overall narrative. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- She decides to take the high road rather than confront Vei Ghoul about their theft of his song. But VG frontman Reino doesn't take kindly to being ignored and devises a devious plan a get Sho's attention- he's going to after Kyoko! Normally, Kyoko's not the type of girl that needs recuing. But for some reason, Reino's presence petrifies her. Will Reino's evil scheme work better than anyone imagined?!

Review- So this Reino dude is really creepy, he's a totally stalking Kyoko, and I do not blame her for being scared of him. This volume is about Sho and Kyoko dealing with him and then at the end we add in Ren, who is on edge because he knows something is going on with Kyoko but she doesn't want to make trouble for Ren. Well I do not like Reino, on the other hand I feel a little bad for him because he has no idea about Ren and what Ren is willing to do for Kyoko. I like in general this new story arc and I am looking forward to seeing more Kyoko.

I give this volume a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my money.

message 23: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 12 down

message 24: by Lynn (last edited Apr 19, 2020 01:20PM) (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post on Accomplishments of the Duke's Daughter, volume 3 by Reia and art by Suki Umemiya. It is 160 pages long and published by Seven Seas Entertainment. As it is the third in the series you need to have read the first two volumes to understand the story. The cover has Iris and her brother Berne on it. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this series. The story is told from third person close of Iris and some other characters to add to the overall narrative. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Business vs. Pleasure

Since becoming acting fief lord, Iris has been working herself ragged to improve the lives of her people. Now that sh's finally got the fiefdom's academy up and running she can't slow down now. But when she meets Dean, a handsome young merchant, Iris starts to realize that maybe there's more to life than work.

Review- Iris' plans are going very well and her fiefdom is getting better for every action she takes. Of course there is more going on than she is aware herself, her brother is now back on the family's side and is reporting whatever Lady Yuri is doing to their father, the prime minster. Dean is more than he seems as he is the eldest prince in disguise, as he traveling around the kingdom to learn about it and its needs. His grandmother is plotting to get them married but that's we know about that plot thread. The plot is slow but progressing along well with Iris starting to grow in new ways as she realizes that she can be more than she thought. I do recommend this series and I am looking forward to seeing what is going to happen in the next volume.

I give this manga a Five out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 25: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 13 down

message 26: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on Sorcerous Stabber Orphen (Manga) Vol. 1: Heed My Call, Beast! Part 1 by Yoshinobu Akita, Muraji (Illustrations). It is 180 pages long and is published by Seven Seas Published. The cover has Orphen in the canter looking cool and dramatic. The intended reader is someone who likes fantasy and adventure manga. There is mild foul language, no sex, and action violence in this series. The story is told from the third person close of Orphen. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- He calls himself Orphen: a rogue sorcerer who turned his back on the Tower of Fangs, the powerful academy that trained him. In those hallowed halls, a terrible curse fell upon his best friend Azalie, twisting her into a monstrous beast…and the teachers decided to simply cover it up. Forsaking his studies and even his own name, Orphen now wanders the land searching for Azalie, and a cure for what she has become. It won’t be easy–a quest brimming with adventure, spells, and swords awaits!

Review- This is a great first volume. We get everything we need for a series start, the hero, the quest, some mildly funny/annoying sidekicks, and a girl with more strength than brains and it is a good start! Orphen is a classic manga that is having new life breathed into it and I am very pleased with the results so far. Lots of action in this volume to off set the very dark story about magic gone wrong. Lots of world building, character introductions, and plot threads going on in this volume so we should get going really fast from here now. I am looking forward to the next volume.

I give this four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 27: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 14 down

message 28: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on Yona of the Dawn, volume 9 by Mizuhi Kusanagi. It is 192 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat. As it is the ninth in the long running series you need to have read the first eight in the series to understand what is going on. The cover has Zona and Zeno on it. There is no foul language, no sex, and mild voilence in this manga. The story id told from third person close of Yona with some from other characters to add to the overall narrative. There Be Spoiler Ahead.

From the back of the book- Zeno, the Yellow Dragon, joins Yona’s party, and now the Four Dragons are finally assembled! Yona and her friends head to Yun’s birthplace in the land of the Fire Tribe. The people in the area not only have to deal with famine, but are forced into poverty by heavy taxes. What measures will Yona and her friends take to protect the town from oppressive government officials?

Review- With all the dragons together, Yona now has to decide what to do but fate is on the move for her again. Yun goes to see from friends from a very poor village in the Fire Tribe and sees coorupt officals taking food from starving children and Yona cannot not do something. She wants to face the kingdom hr father made and then do what she can to help. This volume is more about world-building than than few have been with seeing how the Fire Tribe is leading and what they are doing in their lands. We meet Lord Tae-Jun again and he is suffering from believing that he killed Yona. It will be interesting to see what happens when he sees her again. Good volume and I cannot wait to see more.

message 29: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 15 down

message 30: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on That Wolf-Boy is Mine!, volume 3 by Yoko Nogiri. It is 176 pages long and is published by Kodansha Comics. The cover has Aoshi the tanuki on it. As it is the third volume you need to have read the first two volumes to understand the story. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from third person close of the two main characters. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Just Friends.
After Rin shares profound insights with Komugi about her crush, she learns it's easier to bottle up her feelings for the wolf-boy, Yu. As Komugi gets to really know Rin the fox, hos cold exterior slowly melts away- and Yu can't help but be concerned. In order to let someone new into his heart, Yu struggles to confront his emotional trauma fro the past. but by the time Yu realizes his true emotions, somethings unthinkable has happened to Komugi...

Review- More drama in this volume with Komugi being confront by the boys teacher who wants her to go away. She is causing trouble without meaning to and he wants to make things go back to the way they were before. Komugi does have the chance to leave but she wants to stay when she discovers that she and Yu met when they were children. So the answers to the future are in the past and Yu must deal with his past in order to move forward. With one more volume I am curious about how everything is going to end up.

message 31: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 16 down

message 32: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on Skip Beat!, volume 16 by Yoshiki Nakamura. It is 210 pages long and is published by Shojo Beat. The cover has Kyoko and Ren on it locked in an embrace. As it is the sixteenth in the long running series you need to have read the first fifteen to understand the story. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from the third person close of Kyoko and at time Ren. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Saving Kyoko from Reino's attack has finally knocked some sense into ho's head, and he realizes how much he cares for her. But before he can declare his devotion, Ren shows up to ruin the moment. Both men realize that Kyoko has no idea of true feelings for her and begin a secret battle for her affections!

Review- After the previous volume intensity, this is a much calmer volume with all the drama being from Ren and Sho. We do see Reino but he does not intact with Kyoko and that made me happy because Reino was very creepy to her and I was really uncomfortable with their interactions. Ren and Sho both realize that they has feelings for Kyoko but I am sure about how genuine Sho's feelings are or that they are romantic feelings. Ren on the other hand, he feelings are romantic and he is struggling with his feelings for Kyoko. That is really the plot in this volume. Not much plot movement but lots of character development so I enjoyed seeing Ren deal with his feelings after running from them for so long. Kyoko and Ren have some growth in their relationship and I am looking forward to seeing what is going to happen next.

message 33: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 17 down

message 34: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's Non-Fiction post is on Fight Like a Mother: How a Grassroots Movement Took on the Gun Lobby and Why Women Will Change the World by Shannon Watts. It is 304 pages long and is published by Harper Collins. The cover is white with a picture of the group Moms Demand Action on it. The intended reader is someone who is interested in the group Moms Demand Action, interested in learning how to create a group movement, or someone who is interested in gun lobby and government. There is mild foul language, no sex, and discussion of violence. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Protecting Kids from Unsafe Gun Laws Takes a Movement of Moms.
Shannon Watts was a stay-at-home mom folding laundry when news broke of the tragic shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Outraged, Watts decided to do something about it. Fight like a Mother is the incredible account of how one mother's cry for change became the driving force behind gun safety progress. What started as a simple Facebook group to connect with other frustrated parents grew into Moms Demand Action, a national movement with millions of supporters and a powerful grassroots network of local chapters in all fifty states.
Watts has been called 'the NRA worst nightmare'- and her army of moms has bravely gone up against the gun lobby, showing up in their signature re shirts, blocking the hallways of Congress with their strollers, electing gun sense candidates and running for office themselves, and proving that if the 80 million moms in this country come together, they can put an end to gun violence.
Fight like a Mother will inspire everyone- mothers and fathers, students and teachers, an anyone motivated to enact change- to get to work transforming hearts and minds, and passing laws that save lives.

Review- An interesting, moving, and informative nonfiction read about how a grassroots movement can be a true force to be reckoned with. Watts starts with herself at home the day of the Sandy Hook shooting and the horror that overcame her. From there we travel with her from her creating her Facebook page all the way to 2018 and all the ways that Moms Demand Action have moved across America. Watts gives good advice about starting a movement, about having goals, and having expectations. It is very written, not overly emotionally but it does not play down the seriousness of gun violence and the trauma of those who survive it. This is both a useful guide for movements and a a study in gun violence in America. I enjoyed reading this and I would recommend it.

I give this book a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I was given this book as a gift.

message 35: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 18 down

message 36: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's book review is on Gunparade March volume 1 by Hiroyuki Sanada. It is 204 pages long and is published by ADV Manga. The cover has the two main characters on it looking at the reader. The intended reader is someone who likes manga stories with mechs in them and unearthly monsters.There is mild foul language, mild sexuality and mild violence in this manga. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- The Beginning of the End?
The world changed in 1945- and not for the better. And otherworldly Invasion Beset the battle-weary inhabitants of Earth at the close of the Pacific War. Droves of phantom beasts sought to annihilate the human race, but when faced with a common enemy, the nations of the world pulled together and fought back. 50 years later, these Alien Invaders continue to menace Humanity, pushing them even closer to Extinction. A major assault decimated the Japanese military, thus forcing it's good citizens to pay the ultimate price- enlist their teenage sons and daughters so that the human race can have a chance to survive. This is the story of the humanoid walking tank unit 5121, a group of teens who, rather than lead lives of ordinary high school students, take up arms to ensure the survival of mankind. The battle for existence begins here, and Gunparade March.

Review- this is a slow to start manga with a lot of world-building and some character building but not enough for the depth of the story. The basic premise is that teenage children are piloting Mecha robots to fight monsters, that's a good premise but there are so many unanswered questions in this first volume that the last two volumes are going to have to Terry a lot of heavy lifting. We don't understand who's pulling the strings to put these kids on the front lines or Y we don't understand where the Phantom Beast came from or even what they really are. We have two main characters and one is a young man who has chosen to join the mecha unit for unknown reasons and the other is a young woman who joined it because she wants to uphold her family's high ideals. The monsters are interesting and I look forward to learning more about them. The action scenes are fast and but not very clearly Illustrated so there is some confusion about what's really going on. I hope that that is cleared up in the later volumes. As the series is only three volumes long I'm not sure how much they can do in the next two volumes to help clear up these concerns. I would recommend this manga if you are a fan of Mecha anime.

I give this manga three stars out of five. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 37: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 19 down.

message 38: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's review is on wake up Sleeping Beauty volume 3 by Megumi Morino. It is 192 pages long and is published by Kodansha Comics. As it is the third volume in the series you need to have read the first two to understand the story. The cover has the two main characters in a romantic embrace. There is no foul language, no sex, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from third-person close of the two main characters moving as the story does. There Be Spoilers ahead.

From the back of the book- The Suffering.
As Shizu begins to venture outside more and more, her days are filled with new experiences. When she shows an interest in going to school, Tetsu and the spirits dwelling within Shizu come up with a foolproof plan to get her there. But when the two teens arrive on campus they bump into Tetsu’s old soccer team. Suddenly his carefully curated life begins to unravel and Shizu may be the only one who can save him.

Review- We get to see more of what's driving Tetsu in this volume. We know that his family is struggling with finances but seeing him but seeing him give up his soccer which was so important to him was very moving. Shizu Wants to see him happy again because she is finally starting to care about the world. So with the help of his soccer team Shizu helps him play one last game with them. This volume is more about character development instead of world development so I really enjoyed it. Tetsu and Shizu are starting to grow closer and that's good for her but it's making Tetsu’s life a little more difficult. This manga is very sad but I'm hopeful that the ending will actually be good because Shizu it's starting to grow beyond what she thought she could be and more importantly what her family thought she could be. I look forward to seeing where she goes in the future volumes.

I give this volume at four out of five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this manga with my own money.

message 39: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 20 down

message 40: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's post is on The Way of the House Husband, volume 3 by Kousuke Oono. It is 160 pages long and published by Viz manga. The cover has the main character Tatsu on it hanging laundry.There is no foul language, no sexuality, and no violence in this manga. As it is the third volume in the series you need to have read the first two volumes to really get all of the jokes. The story is told in third person close to different characters that are around Tetsu so we see him the way they do. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- The Immortal Dragon, once the fiercest member of the yakuza, is now a married man devoted to supporting his loving wife—as a househusband! But when the gangster-turned-homemaker needs to make some quick cash to buy her a present, he turns to the only skills he knows…and gets his first part-time job! The cozy yakuza comedy continues!

Review- Another hilarious volume by Oono. We continue to follow Tatsu and his wife through their everyday life with Tatsu being over-the-top as he tries to be the best Lieutenant he can for his wife. The adventure that Tatsu and his wife get into vary in this volume from the cockroach returns to Tatsu's surprise birthday party and Christmas party with Tatsu as Santa Claus. The best part of the humor is watching Tatsu be himself in these very normal circumstances and he is being so outside of the norm for everyone else. This manga has been accused of being a one joke manga. I personally disagree with it but even if it is just one joke it's hilarious and played very well. I cannot wait until volume 4 comes out and I can continue my adventures with Tetsu and see what silliness he finds himself in.

I give this manga five out of five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this mango with my own money.

message 41: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 21 down

message 42: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's review is on Midnight Secretary, volume 3 by Tomu Ohmi. It is 190 pages long and is published by Shojo beat. The cover is a beautiful Orange with Kaya and Kyohei on it. as it is the third volume in the series you need to have read the first two to understand the story. There is no foul language, sexuality, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from first-person close of Kaya. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Kaia has been temporarily reassigned to another company, but she won't let that keep her from her lover,Kyohei. she's appointed herself as a special secretary, and she spends each night at his condo helping him work and quenching his thirst for her delicious blood. Love suits Kaya, the trouble looms now that she's caught the eye of her other boss!

Review- Not a lot happens in this volume other than we see Kyohei finally come to terms with the fact that he is in love with Kaia and that he's going to have to deal with that. We do get to see exactly how competent Kaya is and running both the secretarial group for her new company and still managing all of Kyohei affairs at night. At the end of the volume it is revealed that Kyohei has left his father's company to create one of his own. He feels that it is time for him to move on and that he has repaid the debt he owes his family. Of course he wants Kaya to come and be his secretary there but as she has contracted to work at the new company for a year she is currently refusing. It will be interesting to see where the story goes in the next four volumes.

I give this volume a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this mango with my own money.

message 43: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 22 down

message 44: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's review is on Gunparade March, volume 2 by Hiroyuki Sanadura. It is 190 pages long and it was published by ADV manga. The cover has three of the characters on it in an action scene. The intended reader is someone who has read the first volume likes of Mecca manga in war storm . There is very mild foul language, mild sexuality, and warlike violence in this volume. The story is told from third-person close of the main character Hayami. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Full Phantom Force!
50 years since the Invasion, the Phantom Beast devastating extermination of the human race continues. With its body count Rising, Japan was forced teenagers into the battle. Army unit 5121 is no exception. Victory is that is fine, but when the realities of War feel the pangs of hunger and the desire to live another day, will these battle-hardened teams have the strength to face failure and tragedy? survival and Triumph or Not Guaranteed, but count on the brave teens of the world to fight courageously in Gunparade March!

Review- We pick up right after the ending of the first volume with unit 5121 going back into the battlefield after their Beach vacation. Acura has been given AMAC to fight in and the first half of the manga is dealing with that battle and the biggest loss being losing Akira to the Phantom Beast in spite of everyone's best efforts. Shibamura has to face herself and deal with feeling like she let her honor and her friends down. but the most interesting thing that happens in this manga has to do with how Hayami. We find out more about his past, that he was some kind of test subject. What we see of the lab that he was in, there were Phantom beasts and other children in there. I hope in the last volume it explains what's going on; are the children Phantom beasts, are the Phantom Beast human, or some or is some other kind of strange experiment going on to try and stop the Phantom Beast? with a lot of threads to clear up with only one volume left I'm curious to see how Sanadura can do it.

I give this volume a Four out of Five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this mango with my own money.

message 45: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 23 down

message 46: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's review is on Night Shift by Lilith Saintcrow. It is 227 pages long and is published by orbit. The cover is purple with the main character in the center looking tough. It is the first in the Jill Kismet series. there's foul language, very mild sexuality, and in this volume. The intended reader is someone who likes gritty Urban fantasies, strong female leads and creative worlds. The story is told from the first-person perspective of Jill, the main character. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Jill Kismet. Dealer in Dark Things. Spiritual Exterminator. Demon Slayer.

Not everyone can take on the things that go bump in the night.

Not everyone tries.

But Jill Kismet is not just anyone.

She's a Hunter, trained by the best - and in over her head.

Welcome to the night shift…

Review- A wonderful first novel in a series by Saintcrow. Jill Kismet is the Hunter for the city of Santa Luz. And she has a very busy night life. Her night goes from shopping at Trader, someone who trades and human flesh to the underworld to the brutal slaying of five police officers and werewolves hunting one of their own. Kismet is an interesting character. She is flawed, difficult, but ultimately her heart and her mind are in the right place. She understands that her sacrifices may not earn her a place in heaven but they keep others out of hell. Saintcrow loves to write these kinds of characters, women who are difficult, women who are not easy to understand, or like. Ultimately her characters are more than their difficult characteristics; they are heroes who are just doing the best they can with what they have and the dark worlds they find themselves in. I will be interested to see where Kismet and her, probably new lover, Saul Dustcircle go in the next volume.

I give this volume a 5 out of 5 stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this book with my own money.

message 47: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 24 down

message 48: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's review is on That Wolf-Boy Is Mine, vol Four bye Yoko Nogiri. It is 176 pages long and is published by Kodansha Comics. The cover has Senri on it looking at the reader. As it is the 4th volume in the series you need to have read the first three volumes to understand the story. There is no foul language, no sexuality, and no violence in this manga. The story is told from third-person close of Komugi and Yu. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- Lost love?
Just as Komugi and Yu’s feelings begin to reach one another, Komugi is confronted by Yata-sensei. Afterwards, she's just not the same, and drifts through her everyday life while Yu can only watch over her from afar. But... in the depths of Komugi’s memory, a familiar voice calls for her. Can the bonds she's built with Yu and the gang overcome the sensei’s powers? And what will the future bring for the animal spirits living in Komugi’s world?

Review- all secrets of the pastor revealed in this volume starting with how Komugi and Yu met. Yu’s Mother was sick and dying and we don't know why or what happened to his father, but she is leaving him with Yata-sensei, as he can help Yu learn to control his abilities and have a decent life. Kogumi met him by accident, and was the first person who was not afraid of his wolf ears. it ends with them agreeing to do their best to be happy together. a very sweet shojo love story with a satisfying ending. The art was solid throughout the entire series, the characters were consistent and understandable, and I would read something else from Nogiri. I would recommend this series if you are looking for a sweet shorter shoujo series.

I give this volume a four out of five stars. I get nothing for my review and I bought this mango with my own money.

message 49: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments 25 down

message 50: by Lynn (new)

Lynn (larainey) | 129 comments Today's review is on Sex, Teens, and and Everything In Between by Shafia Zaloom. It is 313 pages long including and notes a bibliography and other resources. It is published by Source books. The cover is white with the title in red, orange and yellow. The intended reader is parents, educators, teens and anyone who deals with teenagers and sexuality. There is no foul language,there is discussion of sex and sexuality and discussions of violence in this book. There Be Spoilers Ahead.

From the back of the book- The Only book you need to start a conversation with your kids about sexual harassment, consent, #metoo, and more.

Many American teens are steeped in a culture that sends unsettling messages about sex, through everything from politics to music to the normalization of p***. In today's environment it's critical that teens be able to ask hard questions about how to take care of themselves, make decisions that reflect their values, and stay safe. Insects teens and everything in between, veteran teen sex educator and mother of three Shafia Zaloom helps you discuss a wife or I variety of sex related topic with your teams, including;

How to get and give consent

What it means to have “good" sex

How to help prevent sexual harassment and assault

How to stay safe in difficult situations

The legal consequences of sexual harassment and assault, and what to do if a teen experience is assault or is accused of it

Stories from survivors of sexual assault

Approachable, engaging, and was real life scenarios and discussion questions in each chapter, Sex,Tteens, and Eeverything in between is a must-have resource that gives parents and educators the tools they need to have meaningful conversations with teens about what sex can and should be.

Review- This is an interesting and engaging nonfiction book about a difficult topic to talk about but a very needed one. Zaloom has been working with teens for decades and pours all of her years of work and Research into this book. The writing style is engaging, the stories from the teens are very clear to understand what the teens are struggling with, and helps parents / educators to have these conversations with the teenagers in their lives. At times this book can be difficult to read, as there is discussion of rape, Dating Violence, and sexual assault but these are important discussions to have with teenagers so that if it happens to them they can understand what's happening. This may be a difficult book to read as it deals with hard topics but if you work with teenagers or if you just want to understand teen sexuality more then you should give this book a look.

I give this nonfiction book a five out of five stars. I get nothing for my review and I was given this book as a gift.

« previous 1 3