Doctor Who: The Library of Carsus discussion

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 589 comments Mod
I need to rewatch this one I think.
What did you folk think of this story?

message 2: by Matthew (new)

Matthew Kresal | 93 comments I suspect I’ll be writing a fuller review elsewhere somewhere because, and I’m going to risk being controversial, I very much enjoyed it. It felt very Pertwee to me, so much so I could go in and tell you where the cliffhangers would have been in 1972/3. It’s a Classic Who sort of tale with 21st Century production values. And the speech at the end felt in keeping with the sort of Pertwee thing you find in Colony in Space or at the end of Day of the Daleks and Invasion of the Dinosaurs. I can see why it might grate with people but, to paraphrase Spock in A Taste of Armageddon, I don’t agree with them but I can see where they’re coming from.

I’ll go one further: It **might** just have topped Rosa as my favorite episode for this Doctor.

message 3: by Lori S. (new)

Lori S. (fuzzipueo) | 589 comments Mod
Matthew wrote: "I suspect I’ll be writing a fuller review elsewhere somewhere because, and I’m going to risk being controversial, I very much enjoyed it. It felt very Pertwee to me, so much so I could go in and te..."

I look forward to reading your review.
I agree about the feel of this episode.

message 4: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1225 comments The kind of story Who does really well, except this time it didn't.

Liked the setting, the design of the monster, the ideas, didn't mind the heavy handed messaging.

Biggest flaw is the supporting cast never felt like more then types and too much of the plot revolved around them being quirky or stupid.
Aside from the old couple, I didn't really care about them.

As a multi-parter, this could have worked.
If this is the first appearance of the Dregs, then I can forgive this episode, because if they return we can expand and explain.
But, as a one off, it was too flawed.
It's a fun time waster, but after Spyfall, it feels like a stumble.

message 5: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1225 comments Cracks me up that in Praxeus, the Doctor went above and beyond to save the cop, but in Orphan 55 she's like, "Um...whelp, too bad that mom and daughter got eaten by monsters."

Even she knew they were too annoying to be worth the effort.

message 6: by Rick (last edited Jun 17, 2020 04:41AM) (new)

Rick | 1095 comments I just got my Series 12 set, so I’m finally getting to these episodes. I’ll probably be watching an episode a night for the next week as I hate doing a full binge on shows like this. I prefer to try and savor them.
I hadn’t thought about this from the Pertwee approach, but it does totally work from that perspective. I really enjoyed it, yeah it was a tad heavy-handed in the message department, but seriously we are destroying our only planet and we’ve been ignoring the warnings from the expects for 40-50 years. So, I kind of feel like - it’s about bloody time people started being heavy-handed about this issue.
The monsters made me feel like the xenomorphs from the Alien films, which I love, so I was surprised they went as dark as that. I’m sure there were a lot of kiddies hiding behind the sofa for a lot of those scenes.

message 7: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1095 comments Matthew wrote: "... I’ll go one further: It **might** just have topped Rosa as my favorite episode for this Doctor. ”

I don’t think anything is going to top Rosa for me. I am in tears every time I watch that episode. The horror on Graham’s face when he realizes he has to stay on the bus and participate in those terrible events is so perfect. The sense of helplessness and powerlessness that’s he’s caught up in something that he can’t control. Ryan’s awe when he realizes he’s in the same room with both Rosa Parks and Martin Luther King is beautiful. And when he gets slapped for trying to return the dropped glove ... being kicked out of the restaurant ... having to climb in and out of the motel window ... so many people do not realize what a horrible place the American South was in those days and STILL IS in so many ways. Truly a powerful and important episode.

message 8: by Bel (new)

Bel (babybel) | 12 comments Agree, Rosa was really powerful..

I think a funny thing about Orphan 55 was that the plot twist was the same as the one in the Mysterious Planet from Classic Who. I was watching it and I was like huh. Mysterious Planet. Okay.

message 9: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1225 comments Yeah, this is like the third time that the twist has been..."It was Earth the whole time!'

Next time, the tardis crew will show up on the beach during Planet of the apes.

message 10: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1095 comments Travis wrote: "... Next time, the tardis crew will show up on the beach during Planet of the apes."

I think I would literally have a heart attack and die from fanboy joy if the Doctor ended up on the Planet of the Apes. 😻

message 11: by Matthew (last edited Jun 18, 2020 10:29PM) (new)

Matthew Kresal | 93 comments Rick wrote: "Matthew wrote: "... I’ll go one further: It **might** just have topped Rosa as my favorite episode for this Doctor. ”

I don’t think anything is going to top Rosa for me. I am in tears every time ..."

It remains the best episode from this era, to be sure. As someone born and raised in Alabama, still living here, in fact, I appreciated how much effort they put into getting it right and not sugarcoating things. "The past is a different country," as the Ninth Doctor once put it and rarely has Who demonstrated that better than it did with Rosa.

That said, Orphan 55 is one I've gone back to a couple of times now, something I haven't done with most of the Whittaker episodes (yet anyway). As for why it's my favorite, I think part of it is the Pertwee feel to it that I mentioned in my comment above some months ago. It also 'clicked' with me because I read The Uninhabitable Earth: Life After Warming last autumn, and parts of what the book went into (including rising levels of CO2 and the growing idea of just abandoning the Earth to its fate) resonated in the episode. Indeed, Orphan 55 falls into the ever-growing Cli-Fi subgenre as well.

For all the divisiveness put at the episode, there's a lot more under the surface than some seem willing to give it credit for. I can't help but wonder why that might be.

message 12: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1095 comments People are afraid to face and accept reality?

message 13: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1225 comments Rick wrote: "People are afraid to face and accept reality?"

Have you met people?

message 14: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1095 comments No. Actually, I haven’t.

Have you? What’s People like?

message 15: by Travis (new)

Travis (travishiltz) | 1225 comments You're gonna want to sit down.
We haven't been at our best for the last couple years, especially when it comes to accepting reality.

message 16: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1095 comments Oh, I know peoples haven’t been operating at peak performance for awhile now. I mean ... the US president is a wackidoodle. But I don’t hold that against peoples, just against the “Angry Cheeto” itself.

message 17: by Rick (new)

Rick | 1095 comments Just rewatched this episode with my oatmeal this morning. Wonderful. Very frantic and chaos all over the place. 13 really doesn’t like it when she’s not the one in the “driver's seat” so to speak. 😹

I can’t help but repeat myself: we have got to start doing something about climate change. The head-in-the-sand attitude from climate change deniers needs to have consequences. And those consequences need to be retroactive.