Play Book Tag discussion

January 2020: Thriller > Long Bright River - Liz Moore - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Raine (new)

Raine (rainelu) | 242 comments LONG BRIGHT RIVER is a personal (not true, but just written as personal) story of people touched by the drug epidemic in the USA. The opiod crisis to be exact.

Philadelphia and its' suburbs is really not a bad city. Back in the day the city was broken up in small neighborhoods (still is) where families lived, worked, and played. Now, many of those neighborhoods are abandoned because of unemployment and the businesses moving out of the city. I'm from the Philadelphia area, so I have personal experience and I love the references in the book. I lived in Bensalem for a long time.

Micky and Kacey are sisters who lose their mother to a drug overdose at a young age. Their father isn't around, and they are raised by their grandmother. Addiction runs in the family, and one of the sisters is pulled into the life and the other one becomes a cop with a small son to raise.

This book is part murder mystery, but also a family drama. The book is long and reads a little slow, but the writing is what makes it a 5 star book. The author really gets into the head(s) of the characters, especially Micky. I loved the flow and didn't want the book to end, although I stayed up until 1:30 a.m. last night to finish - I just had to know what happened.

Parts of this story are not what they seem. I was surprised at much of it. RECOMMENDED!!

message 2: by Holly R W (last edited Jan 22, 2020 11:23AM) (new)

Holly R W | 1388 comments I am interested in your review. How lovely to start your year off with a 5 star rated book. I've been reading similar reviews to yours and want to read the book, myself. I loved the author's previous novel, "The Unseen World". Her writing in that one too, is great!

message 3: by Raine (new)

Raine (rainelu) | 242 comments Holly R W wrote: "I am interested in your review. How lovely to start your year off with a 5 star rated book. I've been reading similar reviews to yours and want to read the book, myself. I loved the author's previo..."

Hi Holly - I'm going to add "atmospheric" to my review because this is a good word to describe it. I plan on reading more by Liz Moore!