Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

The Wright Brothers > 9. In 1908, the Wrights finally showed their plane to the press.

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (last edited Jan 25, 2020 02:17PM) (new)

Carol  Jones-Campbell (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
9. In 1908, when the Wrights finally showed their plane to the press, one reporter wrote "this spectacle of men flying was so startling, so bewildering to her senses.... what we all stood like so many marble men." Imagine yourself in that situation: How might you have reacted? Can you think of a future technological advancement that might astonish you the same way?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Can you imagine how exciting it must be to anticipate showing off your airplane that has taken so much of your time and acquired so much press. AMAZING!!! I wonder what items upcoming would draw the same excitement that this has. Was thinking of that while reading as well.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Have you seen October Sky? I love that movie! It's like when he sees Sputnik! Is it jaw dropping when we see new inventions in action!

message 4: by Carol (new)

Chelsea, I too liked October Sky. Your hubby was a young lad and Grandma and I took the boys to see it. We all liked it very much. The new invention of the time was so cool. Good point.
Thanks...

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Or the moon landing, which McCullough used to end his book. I think to really stick awe into us today someone would have to time-travel or teleport or something!

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments Teleportation! That's what I'm waiting for next. ha!

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Me too! I'm not a Star Trek fan, but I did always think that was pretty cool. :)

message 8: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments Actually, I still scratch my head with wonder when I see a big old heavy airplane flying through the sky, And I still scratch my head with wonder every time I take off or land in one of those things! It's so common place now, that we don't even think about the miracle it was, and still is.