Play Book Tag discussion

The President Is Missing
This topic is about The President Is Missing
January 2020: Thriller > (Poll Ballot Tally) The President is Missing by Bill Clinton and James Patterson - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

annapi | 5117 comments I enjoyed this far more than I expected! I don't like Patterson's writing, so I was a bit skeptical about how good this was, despite the good reviews, but I must say they delivered. It's your typical thriller, and reads like it was meant to be done as a movie - it would fly, for sure. The president is in danger of being impeached because of actions he took that seem like he is protecting or collaborating with a known terrorist. He goes off on a mysterious errand, and little by little the scenario is revealed to us. It would be a spoiler to say what, so let's just leave it at that and say this was deftly handled, ratcheting up the suspense nicely, and culminating in some good action. I had to roll my eyes a little at the end when the president (and I mean Clinton via his character) uses the book as a platform for a political speech, but as I agree with everything he said, I just smiled and closed the book on a satisfied note.

Theresa | 7810 comments I think the eye=rolling at the political stump speech is required!

I has same reaction - and remember that Patterson doesn't actually write any of the books with his name on them. I was pleasantly surprised by how much I enjoyed this.

annapi | 5117 comments Patterson must have written some of his early books at least! I've read only a few, mostly early work - some are ok, some are bad, and overall I don't think it's worth wading through the mediocrity to try and find the gems. I'm baffled at his popularity, it must be because he has a good agent? Or knows people?

Theresa | 7810 comments annapi wrote: "Patterson must have written some of his early books at least! I've read only a few, mostly early work - some are ok, some are bad, and overall I don't think it's worth wading through the mediocrity..."

Oh, he did. but then he became Patterson Inc., just a brand with a stable of 'co-writers' -- here's a link to one of the many articles about it: https://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/24/ma...

He's just done while still living and able to write what has happened with Ludlum & Stieg Larson after death and Clancy after Alzheimer's.

annapi | 5117 comments Fascinating article, thanks!

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 9053 comments I just thought this one was great fun! I want my middle son to enjoy it!