Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

The Wright Brothers > 8. What about Alexander Graham Bell?

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
8. What are your thoughts about Alexander Graham Bell?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
Alexander Graham Bell, the famous scientist and inventor of the telephone, was also interested in inventing a practical airplane. In the process he gave few favors to the Wright Brothers.

Bell believed that the Wright Flyer was dangerous because of the high speeds needed for take-off and maintaining lift during flight. He believed that wing warping, the Wrights’ system for exercising lateral control, was dangerous because it required flexible wings. Bell thought there was a better design solution. Bell’s Interest in Aeronautics

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I didn't like the thought that he was sending in his men to get pictures and information on their flyer. Rude! He should have at least asked face to face instead of being sneaky about it.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Kind of hard to know what the truth was. It seemed like he was trying to steal secrets from the Wrights, but I don't think the book proved that. Interesting...

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I didn't like the guy. Wondered if he used the same tactics as he worked to invent the telephone.

message 6: by Barb (last edited Jan 27, 2020 06:53AM) (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments I think it's something inventors do. We all know about the underhandedness by Edison in regards to the work by Tesla. Being the first to get the patents was a big deal! Corporate espionage is still alive and well today!

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Yes - the underhanded stuff Edison did to Tesla is a good parallel.