Roger Zelazny discussion

A Night in the Lonesome October
This topic is about A Night in the Lonesome October
General > Blue Moon October 31, 2020

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Slickriptide (last edited Jan 22, 2020 08:37AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Slickriptide | 16 comments For those fans of _A Night in the Lonesome October_ who may not be aware: This year (2020) will actually be a "blue moon" on October 31st. That is, the month will begin on the full moon and end on the full moon; two full moons in one month; specifically, the month of October.

This is a year that the Great Game gets played.

When you read about the "death of the moon" and assorted other astronomical phenomena, if you're one of the folks who reads a chapter a day during October, then you'll be reading those chapters on the same calendar day that those phenomena are happening in real life.

So, when you are reading that last chapter under the full moon on the 31st and the hairs on the back of you neck prick up and you hear a weird howl in the distance and you feel the Power rise; you'll know why. ;-)

message 2: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments Thanks! That's good to know since I seem to lead a group in a discussion of it fairly often. I think I have for the past 3 running & a few times before that.

Casey | 25 comments It has been many a year since I've read Lonesome October. Maybe I'll have to do that this year.

message 4: by Jim, Keeper of the Pattern (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jim (jimmaclachlan) | 975 comments We've read it in this group a couple of times. It's great to read as a group, one chapter each day over the course of the month. The seemingly simple, fun story has a lot of hidden treasures. Even the original cover is full of mystery.

Chris  (haughtc) | 84 comments Wow, that's pretty cool