Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

The Wright Brothers > 7. What struck you most in the story of the Wright Brothers?

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
7. What struck you most in the story of the Wright brothers? What surprised you or impressed you? How much did you know (or understand before you read the book.... and what did you come away having learned?

message 2: by Carol (last edited Jan 26, 2020 01:49PM) (new)

The fact that they were able to combine heads, hearts, and purposes. I was hugely impressed with them and how they were able to make it work. What a great pair they were, what a great family they were. How cool is that. It really touched my heart in all the ways it can. Great stuff here. Their families Christian background and how they actively practiced it was very meaningful. Their father was a very good father and he taught his children well. They are a very strong family.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I loved seeing their grit and determination even with failure. I only knew they were the first to make and fly an airplane (so not very much!). Makes me feel like I can do anything if I put my mind to something and not give up. I really want to see their 1903 flyer in DC now!

message 4: by Carol (new)

I've seen it and WOW it really hits the gut when there are such things that have made amazing yet some of the most amazing
history up to that point.

message 5: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I was impressed with what good, honorable men they were. I loved the little story about them helping their neighbor move the nails from the basement of his hardware store when a flood seemed imminent. They liked simple food and were happy to sleep on the floor when necessary. I overall, just plain LIKED Wilbur and Orville!

message 6: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments I liked them too Cindy! They were good decent people! I also loved that they always rested on the sabbath no matter what.

Also... the crash was a big surprise and interest to me! How scary and crazy. The before and after pictures of the crash really made it real when I saw those.

message 7: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments Yes! I knew a little more about the brothers than you said you did, Chelsea, but I didn't know about the crash. Yikes.

message 8: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments I was amazed at what they willing to endure - hardships - at Kill Devil Hills, NC as they began with their first flight machines. I also appreciated their friendships - those who would endure with them as they supported them in pursuing what they loved.

message 9: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments When you're the last in the book club to reply, it's easy to sit back and enjoy the comments of everyone else! I think maybe I'll do this all the time! You have amazing insights, everyone!

One thing that amazed me was that Katherine gave up a good portion of her life for her brothers, including taking care of Orville after he was so badly injured. I was disappointed that Orville was so resentful of her when she finally had the opportunity to marry. From my end, it seemed self-serving and selfish--a side I hadn't seen in the brothers before.