Hooray for Books and Reading discussion

The Wright Brothers > 3. Wilbur/Orville never married....

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
3. Wilbur and Orville never married. There was never even a hint of romantic involvement for either of them. What are your thoughts on that?

message 2: by Carol (new)

Carol (cajonesdoa) | 690 comments Mod
This is an interesting thought - if they didn't share this with each other, how did they handle it at home. And as you said Pam, not even a hint of romantic interest with either one of them. I wonder if with the time given we read that they didn't pull up any interest. I seemed to have missed that in both of my readings of this book.

message 3: by Chelsea (new)

Chelsea | 562 comments It said in the book that potentially the threat of providing for a family was a stress on them and that's why they never married. I think they were too focused on their work to have time to develop a relationship. It didn't seem too important to them.

message 4: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 522 comments I agree, Chelsea. Has anyone else noticed that "singleness" tends to run in certain branches of their family history? My husband and my brother-in-law both have many, many "maiden aunts" (as they used to be called). I don't know of anyone in my family who didn't marry. I just think in some families it isn't looked on as being that important. If I remember correctly, weren't there 5 children and only one married young and had a family of his own? Katherine married as a middle-aged woman and Orville was furious and considered that she was betraying him.

message 5: by Pam (new)

Pam | 218 comments This was a little odd to me. I have never known anyone who was so involved in their life work that they chose not to marry and have a family. Orville and Wilbur were part of a strong, supportive family - I would think they would be inclined to propogate that.

message 6: by Barb (new)

Barb (deckerbunch) | 227 comments Look throughout our country's history at the great number of geniuses who either didn't marry, or who had failed marriages due to their obsession with their work. Orville and Wibur clearly had an obsession with their work.