Our Classical Journey discussion

Let's Talk Books! > How Many Times Have You Read Your Favorite Classic?

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Loretta | 5983 comments Mod
Please post your most favorite classical book and how many times you've read it.

message 2: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

I'm sure that by now, most of you old members (no disrespect) know that my most favorite classic is Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, but new members might not.

I've read Wuthering Heights many times. I can't really say how many times but I know it's more than five times.

message 3: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 590 comments Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier : I've read it twice , and will definitely read it again ! 😊

message 4: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1563 comments I've read The Brothers Karamazov twice and will probably read it again.

I have read The Lord of the Rings at least three times, maybe four.

message 5: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Savita wrote: "Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier : I've read it twice , and will definitely read it again ! 😊"

Thanks for stopping by Savita!

I liked Rebecca too! Have you read any others by Daphne du Maurier? 🤔

message 6: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I've read The Brothers Karamazov twice and will probably read it again.

I have read The Lord of the Rings at least three times, maybe four."

I've not yet read The Brothers Karamazov by Fyodor Dostoyevsky although it's one that I really want to get to when time permits as it's quite lengthy and I really have to give him my full undivided attention.

I've read Lord of the Flies by William Golding. I did enjoy it, for the most part. How recently was your last read Rosemarie? 🤔

message 7: by Ila (new)

Ila | 120 comments I share Loretta's love for Wuthering Heights. I've read it thrice so far and still feel that a couple of rereads won't harm. There's just something about that Gothic tale that makes me want more.

The Vienna melody is a classic that quite recently acquired its favourite place. Just read it once but hoping to reread it many times in the future.

message 8: by Piyangie (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments Pride and Prejudice - read four times. North and South - read twice. Other favourites are yet to be read again.

message 9: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Ila wrote: "I share Loretta's love for Wuthering Heights. I've read it thrice so far and still feel that a couple of rereads won't harm. There's just something about that Gothic tale that makes me want more.

..."

I've not heard of The Vienna Melody by Ernst Lothar. It sounds so good that I added it Ila!

Thanks for the recommendation! 😊

message 10: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "Pride and Prejudice - read four times. North and South - read twice. Other favourites are yet to be read again."

Oh yes! Yes Piyangie! Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen! I've read this one many times too! Almost as many times as Wuthering Heights but not quite! 😊

Haven't had the pleasure of reading North and South yet but do plan on rectifying that this year! 🤗

message 11: by Savita (last edited Jan 24, 2020 09:47AM) (new)

Savita Singh | 590 comments Loretta wrote: "Savita wrote: "Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier : I've read it twice , and will definitely read it again ! 😊"

I've read Frenchman's Creek , Jamaica Inn , My Cousin Rachel , The House on the Strand and some short stories , including The Birds by this author , Loretta . They are all good in their own ways , but I loved Rebecca . That book was astonishingly beautiful !

message 12: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1563 comments Lord of the Flies is not among my favourites, but I did reread it 3 years ago and was very impressed.
I first read The Lord of the Rings in the 70s in university and have reread it every 15 years or so. It's due for a reread soon.

message 13: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 590 comments Carrie wrote: "Savita wrote: "Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier : I've read it twice , and will definitely read it again ! 😊"

Have you seen the movie starring Sir Laurence Olivier , Carrie ? If so , how is it ? As good as the book ?
And this new movie - I would definitely love to see it ! Thanks for the interesting information !

message 14: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 590 comments Carrie wrote: "I have read my 4 favorites once a year since my teens or early twenties. (Too many years to count)

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Pearl
Of Mice and Men
[book:A Christ..."

I liked what you said about A Christmas Carol - " .... when I drive across the ........ " . I am so glad Heaven cares for , and respects , our precious bonds of love , and we humans are very aware of this 💒

message 15: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 363 comments I've read many times:

The Lord of the Rings
Beowulf
The Iliad
Pride and Prejudice
The Chronicles of Narnia

and a couple of times:

To Kill a Mockingbird
Sir Gawain and the Green Knight
I Capture the Castle

and probably a number of others that I can't remember off the top of my head.

I absolutely LOVED The Brothers Karamazov but found both Wuthering Heightsand Rebecca mind-numbing. With Wuthering Heights I could least appreciate the talent of an undeveloped yet sheltered writer but the content was rather twisted.

message 16: by Piyangie (last edited Jan 25, 2020 08:29PM) (new)

Piyangie | 624 comments I forgot to add The Hound of the Baskervilles and Inferno to my favorite rereads here. I've read both twice. I will also be rereading The Hound of the Baskervilles again with a group in February. 😊

message 17: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 590 comments Carrie wrote: "Savita, I haven't seen the movie with Oliver yet. I should watch it before the new one."

Yes , Carrie , he's a classy actor . I haven't seen the film either yet .

message 18: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 590 comments Piyangie wrote: "I forgot to add The Hound of the Baskervilles and Inferno to my favorite rereads here. I've read both twice. I will also be rereading [book:The Hound of the Baskervilles|89..."

Piyangie , is the film Towering Inferno based on the book Inferno , would you know ?

message 19: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1563 comments The Towering Inferno is a 70s disaster movie about a fire in an extremely high skyscraper, Savita. It's not one of the better disaster movies from that time.

message 20: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 590 comments Rosemarie wrote: "The Towering Inferno is a 70s disaster movie about a fire in an extremely high skyscraper, Savita. It's not one of the better disaster movies from that time."

Oh , I see , Rosemarie . Actually , I've not seen the movie myself , but heard about it from others who had gone to see it in a theatre .
Thanks for the information ☺

message 21: by WhatIReallyRead (new)

WhatIReallyRead | 479 comments When I was a teenager, I used to reread Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice constantly! But in the recent decade, I find that I don't re-read anything at all. There are always so many new books I want to get to! Also, I'm a little afraid that a second reading might bring out the flaws in a beloved book that I initially overlooked.

Still, I do plan to re-read some books someday. There are ones that go to my "to re-read" shelf the moment I finish them. In a few years or a decade, I'll get to that.

message 22: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Savita wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Savita wrote: "Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier : I've read it twice , and will definitely read it again ! 😊"

I've r..."

I've also read Jamaica Inn, three stars, My Cousin Rachel, four stars, Rebecca, four stars and The Birds and Other Stories, four stars. I have yet to read Frenchman's Creek or The House on the Strand. I'll probably read them at some point. 😊

message 23: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Jan 27, 2020 05:22AM) (new)

Carrie wrote: "I have read my 4 favorites once a year since my teens or early twenties. (Too many years to count)

To Kill a Mockingbird
The Pearl
Of Mice and Men
A Christ..."</i>

You've read two of my favorites Carrie! [book:The Pearl
, the only book by John Steinbeck that I truly liked and A Christmas Carol, Charles Dickens at his best and one that usually read every Christmas!

Was not a fan of Of Mice and Men, The Great Gatsby or To Kill a Mockingbird.

message 24: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Jan 27, 2020 05:41AM) (new)

Cleo wrote: "I've read many times:

The Lord of the Rings
Beowulf
The Iliad
Pride and Prejudice
The Chronicles of Narnia

and a couple of times:

[boo..."

With your list Cleo, as I've said, I've read [book:Pride and Prejudice editiontocombine|1885] many times before. I've read and very much enjoyed Beowulf, five stars, The Iliad, two stars, To Kill a Mockingbird, three stars. I have yet to read The Lord of the Rings, Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, The Chronicles of Narniaor I Capture the Castle. I will get to the latter sometime this year and perhaps I'll also get to The Brothers Karamazov

message 25: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Piyangie wrote: "I forgot to add The Hound of the Baskervilles and Inferno to my favorite rereads here. I've read both twice. I will also be rereading The Hound of the Baskervilles so I really can't comment.

message 26: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

WhatIReallyRead (Anna) wrote: "When I was a teenager, I used to reread Jane Eyre and Pride and Prejudice constantly! But in the recent decade, I find that I don't re-read anything at all. There are alway..."

I agree Anna. I don't usually do re-reads of books even though I enjoyed them. With my small list of real favorites, Wuthering Heights, Pride and Prejudice editiontocombine, I go to when I need a pick me up, like with A Christmas Carol.

message 27: by Joanna (new)

Joanna I don't re-read a lot anymore but used to. I've probably read Oliver Twist 3 or 4 times.

message 28: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Jan 27, 2020 06:11AM) (new)

Meg wrote: "I don't re-read a lot anymore but used to. I've probably read Oliver Twist 3 or 4 times."

Since I'm not really a Charles Dickens fan, I can't really comment on this one, although I know many other members would agree with you Meg! 😊

message 29: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 590 comments Please choose Frenchman's Creek to The House on the Strand , Loretta , when you decide to read . The former is delightful , the latter I can't remember too clearly . Any other member's comment would be welcome 😊

message 30: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Savita wrote: "Please choose Frenchman's Creek to The House on the Strand , Loretta , when you decide to read . The former is delightful , the latter I can't remember too clearly . Any other member's comment woul..."

Thanks for your thoughts and recommendations Savita! 😊

message 31: by Savita (new)

Savita Singh | 590 comments Most welcome , Loretta ! 😊

message 32: by Rosemarie (new)

Rosemarie | 1563 comments I childhood favourite I really love is Heidi. It's such a "feel good" book.

message 33: by DebK (new)

DebK | 339 comments I’ve read Pride and Prejudice at least 12 times and own every film production of it. My favorite is the PBS series. I’ve read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre at least 2-3 times. My daughter-in-law just read Jane Eyre for the first time and fell in love with it. I own 5 or 6 movie productions of it. I don’t know of any other classic that is revisited in movies like it.

message 34: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Rosemarie wrote: "I childhood favourite I really love is Heidi. It's such a "feel good" book."

One that's on my ever growing TBR shelf! 😊

message 35: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Deb wrote: "I’ve read Pride and Prejudice at least 12 times and own every film production of it. My favorite is the PBS series. I’ve read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre at least 2-3 times. My daughter-in-law ..."

As I've said, I also read Pride and Prejudice many times. My favorite movie version Deb is the one with Keira Knightly and Matthew MacFadyen

message 36: by Nidhi (new)

Nidhi Kumari | 208 comments I have read A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens at least four times and Hardy ‘s Tess of the Durbervilles three times, Pride and Prejudice three times , David Copperfield two times, Great Expectations two times, Bride of Lammermoor by Sir Walter Scott two time.

I can re read them any time again.

message 37: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Nidhi wrote: "I have read A Tale of Two Cities by Dickens at least four times and Hardy ‘s Tess of the Durbervilles three times, Pride and Prejudice three times , David Copperfield two times, Great Expectations ..."

That's a great list of re-reads Nidhi! 😊

message 38: by Cleo (new)

Cleo (cleopatra18) | 363 comments Deb wrote: "I’ve read Pride and Prejudice at least 12 times and own every film production of it. My favorite is the PBS series. I’ve read Wuthering Heights and Jane Eyre at least 2-3 times. My daughter-in-law ..."

That's awesome! I love Pride and Prejudice. My favourite production is the A&E one with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.

I'd forgotten about Jane Eyre. I think I've read it about 3 or 4 times and it's one of my all-time favourites!

message 39: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 551 comments Loretta wrote: "Please post your most favorite classical book and how many times you've read it."

I've read The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas many times since childhood. I had an illustrated children's edition of the book which was sorely lacking because it left out a lot of the plot and characterization, but I've read the full book since then and fell in love with the way Dumas wrote it.

I've read my favourite Sherlock Holmes stories many, many times as well. I've also re-read Le Morte d'Arthur by Sir Thomas Malory and other Arthurian tales by various writers over the years.

As I am being introduced to more classics, I am getting more favourites. Hopefully, I will re-read these classics soon.

message 40: by Loretta, Moderator (new)

Tiffany wrote: "Loretta wrote: "Please post your most favorite classical book and how many times you've read it."

I've read The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas many times since child..."

I've yet to read The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas. It's been on my TBR shelf for awhile now. Maybe someday I'll get to it!

message 41: by Tiffany (new)

Tiffany | 551 comments It's definitely a fun book. Alexandre Dumas put a lot of humor into his work, but it isn't a comedy. Dumas would have considered it a historical fiction and just that, but I think it is a lot of action and adventure mixed into it. It's a fun book to read. Hopefully you'll get to it someday. :)

I am going to maybe revisit Wuthering Heights soon to see if my opinions of the book have changed now that I am an adult and can appreciate literature more... O.o

message 42: by Loretta, Moderator (last edited Feb 26, 2020 05:27AM) (new)

Tiffany wrote: "It's definitely a fun book. Alexandre Dumas put a lot of humor into his work, but it isn't a comedy. Dumas would have considered it a historical fiction and just that, but I think it is a lot of ac..."

Sometimes that does happen Tiffany! When we get older our tastes change. I hope if you do read Wuthering Heights it does happen for you! 😊

message 43: by Michaela (new)

Michaela | 178 comments North and South - just starting the third read. :)