Art Lovers discussion

Art Quotes > Quotes About Art

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (new)

Heather “Fiction is art and art is the triumph over chaos… to celebrate a world that lies spread out around us like a bewildering and stupendous dream.”

― John Cheever

message 2: by Tom (new)

Tom Ah, I love Cheever. His stories illustrate that claim wonderfully. In particular, it brings to mind the final line in The Country Husband: “Then it is dark; it is a night where kings in golden suits ride elephants over the mountains.”

message 3: by Heather (new)

Heather I’m not familiar with his work as you are, I’m impressed! And to be able to quote the last line of one of his works, that’s awesome!

message 4: by Tom (new)

Tom Heather wrote: "I’m not familiar with his work as you are, I’m impressed! And to be able to quote the last line of one of his works, that’s awesome!"

Cheever has many memorable lines. He’s particularly good with opening lines, too many to quote here. If you ever come across his collected stories , look up “Brimmer” for brilliant example.

message 5: by Heather (new)

Heather Tom wrote: "Heather wrote: "I’m not familiar with his work as you are, I’m impressed! And to be able to quote the last line of one of his works, that’s awesome!"

Cheever has many memorable lines. He’s particu..."

I will! Thank you for the reference, Tom.

message 6: by Chris (new)

Chris Gager (chrisinmaine) | 352 comments Tom wrote: "Ah, I love Cheever. His stories illustrate that claim wonderfully. In particular, it brings to mind the final line in The Country Husband: “Then it is dark; it is a night where kings in golden suit..."

Great story, great last line. Cheever could definitely bring it.

message 7: by Isaac (new)

Isaac Toit (isaac_du_toit) “Reading is very creative - it's not just a passive thing. I write a story; it goes out into the world; somebody reads it and, by reading it, completes it.” ― Margaret Mahy

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather "I had an art teacher named Aaron Douglas. I couldn't draw or paint, but I admired his ability to do so. I felt the same way about the African American artists I became friends with at the height of the civil rights movement. Without their images, I don't know what would have happened to many of us. Art can take you to another place--and their pieces said we could dream dreams and be a better people."

John Lewis