Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

2020 Determination Lists > Angie's 2020 Determination List

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (last edited Jun 23, 2020 06:31AM) (new)

Angie Murphy | 9 comments Books 1-10. Pick 10 books (audios, ebooks, whatever) that you either want to get off your To Be Read owned shelves or books you have been wanting to read for awhile and haven't.

1 - Frederik Backman, A Man Called Ove (listening - audible 3/2020)
2 - Simone St. James, The Haunting of Maddie Clare
3 - Sarah Waters, The Paying Guests
4 - Alex Marwood, The Darkest Secret
5 - Gail Honeyman, Eleanor Oliphant is Completely Fine (finished audiobook 3/2020)
6 - Simone St. James, The Broken Girls (read Feb. 29)
7 - Gilly McMillan, The Nanny
8 - David Baldacci, Absolute Power
9 - Diane Setterfield, Once Upon a River (finished March- Loved it)
10 - Marisa de los Santos, I'll be Your Blue Sky

The next 10 books is the Plus part of the challenge almost like a bonus. Below are the 10 categories you need to read a book for.

11. A new author's first book (could be also a new to you author that you haven't read before)

Camilla Way, Watching Edie

12. A book set in a different country than you live in.

Louise Penny, Still Life - (read - January)

13. A book that is a different genre than your usual reading books (whatever you normally don't read try something out of your comfort zone if you want)

Ronan Farrow, Catch and Kill

14 & 15. Two books from a series you haven't completed yet (I'm sure we all have those, the books don't have to be the same series if you don't them to be)

Candice Fox - Crimson Lake -- (read - January) ; Redemption Point (getting ready for the group read for her third installment) ; (finished audiobook - February)

16. A book that comes out in 2020.

First read of the year -- Simone St. James, The Sundown Motel. (read January 2020 -- Book of the Month Edition)

17. A book that was recommended to you.

Tara Westover, Educated

18. A book you meant to read in 2019 but never got around to it.

Delia Owens, Where the Crawdads Sing (read - January -- didn't love this one as much as others have. Listened on audible and got through it by pushing it to 1.5 speed).

19. A book that came out before you were born. (I know this one might have been harder than the other's to do)

Born in 1967. Agatha Christie is a good choice -- Death on the Nile.

20. A book that is done by more than one author (You can take this one as a book that is short stories by different authors, or written by more like a James Patterson, Janet Evanovich and I'm sure there are other's).

Greer Hendricks and Sarah Pekkanan, You are Not Alone (finished 3/2020)

message 2: by OMalleycat (new)

OMalleycat | 1448 comments Looks like you have a plan, Angie! I think you’ll enjoy the Candice Fox books and I look forward to having you join us for the group read in March.

message 3: by Angie (new)

Angie Murphy | 9 comments Thanks OMalleycat. Just got the first of the series in the mail.

message 4: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments Angie: You've got a lot of good books listed!

message 5: by Angie (new)

Angie Murphy | 9 comments Ann, good to hear! Excited to work through them all!

message 6: by Angie (last edited Jan 01, 2021 08:53AM) (new)

Angie Murphy | 9 comments 10 of 20 from my 2020 list. Not too great. I did read a lot of wonderful books this year, and I particularly enjoyed a few from this list. Will try to beat this number next year (shouldnt be too hard.)

message 7: by Carol/Bonadie (new)

Carol/Bonadie (bonadie) | 7808 comments Angie, I have Catch and Kill: Lies, Spies, and a Conspiracy to Protect Predators out from the library now. Maybe you can put it on your 2021 DL of a book you meant to get to in 2020, LOL.

Love Ronan Farrow and miss him since his last story has fallen out of the news cycle. I wonder what he is investigating now.

message 8: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14293 comments Angie: while you didn't read them all, you sure picked stellar books in Once Upon a River, Eleanor Oliphant Is Completely Fine, and A Man Called Ove! Here's to many more good books in 2021!

Angie wrote: "10 of 20 from my 2020 list. Not too great. I did read a lot of wonderful books this year, and I particularly enjoyed a few from this list. Will try to beat this number next year (shouldnt be too ha..."

message 9: by Barbara K (new)

Barbara K | 414 comments Once upon a River was one of my favorite reads in 2020. I would definitely rather have read that than to finish off a list with arbitrary choices.

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie Murphy | 9 comments Once Upon a River was a top read for sure!