Crime, Mysteries & Thrillers discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archive - Noms & Newsletters > Cozy Mysteries Nominations - March 2020

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jenny (last edited Jan 22, 2020 03:46AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Hello, fellow Crime, Mystery, and Thriller Readers,

Nominations for our March Cozy Mysteries Book of the Month are now open! To ensure your nomination will be included in our poll, please make sure it conforms to the following guideline:

✔️ The book must be a Cozy Mystery

**** Cozies very rarely focus on sex, profanity or violence. The murders take place off stage, and are often relatively bloodless (e.g. poisoning), while sexual activity (if any) between characters is only ever gently implied and never directly addressed.

**** The cozy mystery usually takes place in a small town or village. The small size of the setting makes it believable that all the suspects know each other. The amateur sleuth is usually a very likeable person who is able to get the community members to talk freely about each other. There is usually at least one very knowledgeable, nosy, yet reliable character in the book who is able to fill in all of the blanks, thus enabling the amateur sleuth to solve the case.

✔️ You may nominate one (1) book.

✔️To ensure your nomination is included in our poll correctly, do include the name of both the book and the author. You would be surprised at how many books have the same title. You are welcome to use the "add book/author" tool, which is located above the right upper corner of the comment window when you nominate your selection.

📌AUTHORS please note: We DO NOT accept nominations of your own work. Please see our Author/Publisher Guidelines for more information. You are, however, welcome to participate in the nomination (of another author's work), polling, and book discussions in general.

If you have any questions, you can leave a comment in this discussion or message, Jenny, Sheri and Maureen directly.

Thank you and happy reading!

message 2: by Jenny (last edited Feb 10, 2020 10:18PM) (new)

message 3: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

message 4: by Jenny (last edited Jan 25, 2020 06:31AM) (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Icewineanne wrote: "How about A Lack of Temperance (Hattie Davish Mystery, #1) by Anna Loan-Wilsey A Lack of Temperance by Anna Loan-Wilsey"

Icewineanne thank you for your nomination. I have added it to the running list.

Icewineanne, this book looks interesting. I am going to add it to my growing TBR list.

message 5: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

Icewineanne | 651 comments Mod
Just starting it now Jenny. Fingers crossed it’s a goodie 🤗

message 6: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Icewineanne - let me know if you enjoy the book.

message 7: by Icewineanne, Moderator (new)

1/4 of the way through. It’s not really grabbing me so far. I’ll give it until the halfway point 🤷‍♀️

message 8: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Icewineanne wrote: "1/4 of the way through. It’s not really grabbing me so far. I’ll give it until the halfway point 🤷‍♀️"

That is disappointing, Icewineanne.

message 9: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Jan 29, 2020 08:47AM) (new)

Finished it Jenny. I found it to be poorly written, at times characters said things that made little sense (for example, a temperance funeral that turned into rally, a woman who is the new self-proclaimed president, introduced herself & gave a big controversial speech......next day, a doctor - also at funeral, in 3rd row - doesn’t know who she is).......hmmm.....Dr’s are usually very observant.

Some things in the book ring very true, like the police refusing to listen & believe MC because she was a woman. They totally dismissed her + refused to look into an attack on her. She had to enlist a man to present attack & theories.....even then they were not convinced, thought she was crazy right to the end.

Unfortunately the plot, characters, motivations were just too silly for me. By the time the murderer is revealed.....I couldn’t care less....didn’t guess whodunit, just didn’t care.
By that point i was just relieved that the book was finally over - and this book is only just over 200 pgs 🦑

Sorry Jenny, but I think you should my nomination for this. Will hunt around for a better book.

message 10: by Bruce (new)

Bruce | 2042 comments I nominate Shakespeare’s Landlord by Charlaine Harris.

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Icewineanne wrote: "Finished it Jenny. I found it to be poorly written, at times characters said things that made little sense (for example, a temperance funeral that turned into rally, a woman who is the new self-pro..."

Icewineanne, I will remove your nomination. I hope your next book would be more enjoyable, Icewineanne.

message 12: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Bruce wrote: "I nominate Shakespeare’s Landlord by Charlaine Harris."

Thank you, Bruce, for your nomination. I have added your nomination to the running list.

message 13: by Icewineanne, Moderator (last edited Feb 05, 2020 01:15AM) (new)

message 14: by Ashley (new)

Ashley (ashielizz) | 0 comments What is the cutoff date for this? I'd like to nominate but I need to look at my list for future reading.

message 16: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Icewineanne wrote: "How about The Jazz Files (Poppy Denby Investigates #1) by Fiona Veitch Smith The Jazz Files by Fiona Veitch Smith?"

Love the cover of this book Icewineanne. Thank you Icewineanne for your nomination. I have added it to the running list.

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny (diggensjenny) Kirsten #riprobertconrad #cleanoutyourcomputerday #nationalcreamcheesebrownieday wrote: "I nominate Crime and Poetry (Magical Bookshop, #1) by Amanda FlowerCrime and Poetry by Amanda Flower"

Thank you for your nomination, Kirsten. I have added it to the running list.

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.