Books Real When Shared discussion

The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
This topic is about The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo
The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo - January 2020 - Reviews

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Samuele (fernendo_7) | 89 comments Mod
Hey readers!

In this topic we can talk about our book club pick for January: The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo by Taylor Jenkins Reid.
Beware, you might find some SPOILERS, so if you haven't finished reading it yet come back when you have. We will be very glad to know more about your opinion!

So, what do you think about this book? Did you like it? Which was your favourite character and why? Let us know in a comment down below!
Also, if you would like to see our fancast and bookish playlist related to this book, check out our blog at the beginning of February!

Samuele (fernendo_7) | 89 comments Mod
I could have never imagined that this book was so damn good. Oh Gosh, Taylor Jenkins Reid has created such a beautiful and outstanding book.
I’m not one of those people who likes to read romances but with this novel I should just take a bow.
Where do I start? I don’t know. Maybe from Evelyn herself. Her character is complicated, sometimes too much selfish, but always with her mind focused on what she wants and how to get it. I am astonished by how she was so determinated and good in creating scenarios with the press, with her husbands and everyone else.
Another character that I really loved because was so pure that deserves all the love of this world was Harry. Poor little one, he didn’t deserve some major things that happened to him, it wasn’t fair.
Let’s talk about the plot. Unfortunately I knew about Evelyn's bisexuality and I already knew what was going on at some point, but this didn’t stop me from continuing her story! I just couldn’t put the book down, it was too well-written and so damn good to stop reading it at some random point.
I really liked how Reid structurated the novel and most of all how this book ended.
As soon as I started reading the book I figured out that she would die in the end, because I joined some hints that were here and there, but that didn’t stop me from crying. I cried so much for this book, I can’t even. Not to metion Connor's death, I was completely torn.
The major spoiler (aka Monique's father) was well placed and what I’ve liked about it was that I didn’t see it coming my way until the author threw it into my face. I loved that.

message 3: by Martina (last edited Jan 22, 2020 02:31AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Martina | 64 comments Mod
4.5 stars

This is the second book by Taylor Jenkins Reid that I read. The first one was Forever, Interrupted and I didn't enjoy it very much. So, when I approached this new novel I was a bit wary. However, it really surprised me!
I found it very enjoyable and the story kept me glued to the pages. I found myself really involved in Evelyn's tale of her life.
Still, there were some things that I didn't like and that seems too forced into the story. They were literary devices, but they had no meaning or a clear explanation.
Btw, the last fifty pages really touched my heart and for that I'm going to give 4.5 stars.

Silvia (silviag96) | 146 comments Mod
*4.25*

I was really glad to finally have gotten the chance to read this book. Everyone and their mother always talked really well about it and so I was really curious to see if the hype was justified.

I won't spoil anything cause I was kinda spoiled when I started it, but I will say that I really enjoyed this book. Maybe it was not my favourite book ever (for me there are other fiction or historical fiction books that could be compared to this one without doubt) but I found myself really connected to the story and to its characters. I've read a book by Taylor Jenkins Reid in the past, but I did not like it (the book was "Forever, Interrupted") and I'm glad to say this was not the case.

I loved Evelyn's strength and I was always curious to learn more about her life. I also really loved the atmosphere and the representation of the glam of Hollywood in those years. Under that aspect I found it to be a very well done "historical" fiction book. I would love to re-read it listening to all of the Lana Del Rey albums in the background.

My favourite character though was surely Harry Cameron. I loved how good and kind he was and how he was always there when no one else was.

Sadly I did not particuarly liked one of the other main characters, and for that reason alone this book lost a lot in terms of enjoyment for me. Also, I found one of the plot twists to be quite predictable and I don't like when I get to understand "mysteries" in books.

After all, if you would like to read something about Hollywood in the 50s and about a very strong woman who takes no s**t this book is definitely something I would recommend.
I can't wait to read "Daisy Jones and the Six" sometimes in the future, cause now I'm really curious about it.

Emma | 128 comments Mod
I'm so glad to say that I liked this book! I was a bit on the fence because I didn't quite enjoy the only other Taylor Jenkins Reid's book I previously read and also because The Seven Husbands of Evelyn Hugo is a book surrounded by so much hype.

I want to make this a spoiler-free review so I won't go much into details here since everything would be a spoiler. Just know that this book is written very well and it's such an enthralling read, you cannot help but want to know more about this fascinating woman. I loved how we got to see all of Evelyn's numerous layers and also her true self, the person she was when she wasn't Evelyn Hugo for the world.

Evelyn wasn't the only character that I liked, all the others were crafted very well too and they truly showed how complex human beings can be.

Another thing I appreciated is the diversity representation that was included in this novel. It was very well done, in my opinion.

I think that in some parts the book was predictable and that the ending was a bit rushed, but other than that this was a good book. I highly recommend this one!