The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

BOOK REVIEWS > Lisa's Book Blurb

Comments (showing 1-48 of 48) (48 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Lisa (last edited Oct 08, 2009 04:03PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 1. Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

READ 9.2.09: for part of Task 20.2 3 CONSECUTIVE LETTERS - "C"
RATING: 5 stars

I think the books are getting better as they go. Club Dead was funny and entertaining. I like the added sexual tension between Sookie, Bill, Eric and Alcide. Sookie is the Stephanie Plum of the vampire world and brings a smile to my face as I read about her antics.

I own this book.

message 2: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 2. Shane by Jack Schaefer Shane by Jack Schaefer

READ 9.2.09: for part of Task 25.7 ONE WORD TITLE
RATING: 4 stars

I liked the sparse writing style of Shane. It suited the story well, with Shane being a man of few words, the strong, silent type. I liked how the story developed Shane's internal struggle with his true nature and how the reader learned more about him by reading about the look in his eyes or his body posture and physical actions rather than his thoughts. However, one thought Shane did express to Bob stuck with me, "What a man knows isn't important. It's what he is that counts." I liked that!

This book was also part of my September group reads for the The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge group.

message 3: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 3. Falling Boy A Novel by Alison McGhee Falling Boy A Novel by Alison McGhee

READ 9.2.09 : to complete Task 10.7 HEROES
RATING: 2 stars

I think McGhee had the potential to tell a good story, but I didn't like her writing style. I thought some of the characters were annoying, and by the time I got to the end of the book, it was too late to reveal redeeming circumstances for their behavior. The only thing that kept me going was wanting to find out the true nature of Joseph's accident and why he had the reputation as a superhero.

This book was also part of my "fall" themed group reads for my Busy as a Bee Books group.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 4. Winesburg, Ohio (Oxford World's Classics) by Sherwood AndersonWinesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson

READ 9.5.09: for part of Task 25.8 PLACE TITLE

Anderson gave us a glimpse of small town life and it's inhabitants. Unfortunately, I never connected with the story. I thought the writing was dull and uninteresting. I didn't expect to be dazzled with plot, but I would've liked to feel something for the characters. It just didn't happen.

This book was also part of my September group reads for the The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge group.

message 5: by Lisa (last edited Sep 17, 2009 06:42PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 5. Everything Matters! A Novel by Ron Currie Jr. Everything Matters! A Novel by Ron Currie, Jr.

READ 9.6.09: to complete Task 25.5 FORTUNE/PROPHECY
RATING: 3 stars

Junior is born with the prophecy of the exact time, day and means to the end of the Universe. What happens to Junior, his family, friends and the rest of the world because of this knowledge he is burdened with is the premise of this story. If the world is going to end, does what we do really matter. Junior discovers everything matters!

I found the beginning of the book a little drawn out and weird, however as the story developed in parts II and III of the book, it became more engaging. The book made me consider how seemingly inconsequential actions can have a profound impact on people and the world around us.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Lisa wrote: "1. Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

I think the books are getting bet..."

thanks for the stephanie reference I started dead until dark, and set it aside, I wasn't getting the hype this comment makes me see it differently

message 7: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments Teresa in Ohio wrote: "Lisa wrote: "1. Club Dead (Sookie Stackhouse, #3) by Charlaine Harris Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

I think the boo..."

I started the series expecting them to be eyes rolling to the back of my head ridiculous, but found they were fun to read and more humorous as they went along. It was the second book that made me compare Sookie to Stephanie and the third, Club Dead that confirmed it for me. Give it another shot and I think by the third book you'll see what I'm talking about. Hope you enjoy it!

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 6. The Fourth Bear (Nursery Crime, #2) by Jasper Fforde The Fourth Bear by Jasper Fforde

READ 9.7.09: to complete Task 10.3 BEARS
RATING 3 stars

I thought this was a clever, tongue-in-cheek nursery rhyme mystery centered around "Persons of Dubious Reality." The Gingerbread man as a homicidal maniac was hilarious. I loved how the author turned Goldilocks and the Three Bears, Dorian Gray, and Punch and Judy into LOL characters. Detective Jack Spratt, a PDR in denial, was a comical spoof on many classic tv and fiction detectives. The book dragged for me in some parts, but was overall a fun, unique reading experience.

message 9: by Lisa (last edited Oct 08, 2009 04:02PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 7. The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne The Boy in the Striped Pajamas by John Boyne

READ 9.9.09: for part of Task 25.8 THING TITLE

While I thought some of the writing was a little too juvenile for my tastes, I became caught up in the poignancy of the meetings between Bruno and Shmuel. The innocence of Bruno to what was happening in the world around him was touching and unnerving. Sometimes we all need to view things from the eyes of a child. It's a very enlightening perception. Although I saw the end coming, it was nonetheless startling.

This book was also part of my September monthly read for my YA Reads for Teachers (And Any Other Adults!) group.
I own this book.

message 10: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 8. Catching Fire (Hunger Games, #2) by Suzanne Collins Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins

READ 9.11.09: to complete Task 15.4 SCIENCE FICTION

I wondered if Collins could continue The Hunger Games, while still keeping the story as exciting and absorbing as her first book. Well, the title of the second book in her series is apropos, because she was on fire! The story quickly ignited and I blazed through the pages! It was explosive! I was sad to come to the end and am now hungering for the next book in the series.

message 11: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 9. Home Safe A Novel by Elizabeth Berg Home Safe A Novel by Elizabeth Berg

READ 9.12.09: to complete Task 15.9 HOMEWORK

Berg is fast becoming my go-to author for reliably thoughtful and satisfying reads. Her stories reach into the heart of a woman's soul and examine the complexities of human nature. Home Safe is the story of Helen, an author with writer's block after the sudden death of her husband. Helen attempts to work through her grief as she redefines herself and tries to regain the sense of solace she used to find at home.

message 12: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 10. Two Little Girls in Blue A Novel by Mary Higgins Clark Two Little Girls in Blue A Novel by Mary Higgins Clark

READ 9.16.09: for part of Task 25.2 RELATED AUTHORS (mother)

I like Higgins Clark's earlier work much more than what she's written over the last few years. It seems her plots are getting less believable and more cliched. I liked parts of this story and the premise of twin talk was intriguing. There were just parts of the story that didn't ring true for me. Overall, it was a quick, easy read. I hope Higgins Clark gets back to writing more psychologically suspenseful stories.

message 13: by Lisa (last edited Sep 22, 2009 09:18PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 11. Franklin and Winston An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship by Jon Meacham Franklin and Winston An Intimate Portrait of an Epic Friendship by Jon Meacham

READ 9.19.09: to complete Task 25.6 TIPPECANOE PRESIDENTIAL BIOGRAPHY

I only picked this up as part of a book challenge, but am glad I did. I enjoyed reading about the developing friendship of FDR and Churchill. The dynamics of their friendship and the resulting relationship helped shape the U.S.'s relations with England and other foreign countries. I saw their leadership skill and vision as the beginning of a new world view and globalization of foreign affairs. The creation of the United Nations was one of many FDR contributions to world history.

Churchill was a complex and intriguing character. This book whetted my appetite to further read about him. I was struck by his sentiment, patriotism, and devotion to his causes or his friendships. The book made these two historical giants human. My only complaint was it was sometimes too wordy or detailed, which caused my mind to wander a bit.

message 14: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 12. Summer of My German Soldier (Puffin Modern Classics) by Bette Greene Summer of My German Soldier by Bette Greene

READ 9.22.09: for part of Task 15.3 MATH ADDITION

Twelve year old Patty learns some hard life lessons. The enemy are not always bad people and bad people are not always the enemy. Patty is treated cruelly by her family, especially her father, who tells her she was born bad. Patty sees goodness in Anton, a German POW, a poor neighbor boy, and her black nanny; where most people are prejudiced by their beliefs. As she begins to see herself through their eyes she gains confidence and starts to grow into womanhood. I thought it was a touching story!

This book was also part of my September monthly read for my YA Reads for Teachers (And Any Other Adults!) group.

message 15: by Lisa (last edited Oct 08, 2009 04:02PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 13. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe

READ 9.24.09: to complete Task 10.1 BUDDY HOLLY (1936-1959)

This definitely wasn't a feel good book. The main character, Okonkwo, was a strong, unlikeable brute. He was rigid and uncompromising, which made him appear coldhearted. I did find him a little sympathetic, because I think he didn't want to be as violent as he was, but was ruled by fear of appearing unmanly. It's hard in this day and age to accept his behavior, but the mysticism and mores of his culture were partly responsible for his actions.

I was reminded of Kingsolver's, The Poisonwood Bible, in the second half of the book when the missionaries arrived. The misunderstandings and clash of cultures set the backdrop for Okonkwo's inner turmoil as he watched his world and his village fall apart.

This book was also part of my "fall" themed group reads for my Busy as a Bee Books group.
I own this book.

message 16: by Lisa (last edited Oct 08, 2009 04:08PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 14. The Falls A Novel (P.S.) by Joyce Carol Oates The Falls A Novel by Joyce Carol Oates

READ 9.26.09: for part of Task 25.7 TWO WORD TITLE
RATING: 3.5 stars

I found this story to be a dark and depressing look at a family whose lives are all intertwined with the history of Niagara Falls. It begins with the suicide of Ariah's husband on their honeymoon, which causes Ariah to become a part of the legend of the Falls. The mystery surrounding her attracts lawyer, Dirk Burnaby, who becomes her second husband. The Falls again play a major role in their lives, when Burnaby takes on a case involving the "Love Canal."

The magnetic attraction of the Falls, it's power and pull can be felt throughout the story. The foggy mist lingered over the characters and I felt a sense of dread while reading. Oates effectively made me feel wary and reluctant, which put me in the mind of Ariah. The only problem was I had difficulty liking Ariah, even though I understood some of her motivation. I loved reading about some of the myths associated with Niagara Falls and the Love Canal scandal. I came to view Ariah's love for her family as being like the Falls; it could sweep you away; it's current could pull you under and you had to be a strong swimmer not to drown in her love. Her love was beautiful, but deadly.

This book was also part of my "fall challenge" for the Bookmark Subscribers group.
I own this book.

message 17: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 15. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane

READ 9.28.09: to complete Task 20.3 GROUP READ CHOICE

This was a great psychological thriller, which kept my eyes glued to the pages and my bum glued to the recliner. I thought I was pretty smart when I figured out the code and anagram early in the book, however I couldn't piece my suspicions together to make any kind of sense. Lehane provided a masterfully twisted ending!

message 18: by Lisa (last edited Oct 08, 2009 04:13PM) (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 16. [image error] Cursed by Carol Higgins Clark

READ 10.1.09: for part of Task 25.2 RELATED AUTHORS

I won this in a first reads giveaway and looked forward to giving Carol Higgins Clark another try. I read an earlier book of hers many years ago and while I didn't dislike the book, I wasn't overly impressed. I hoped her writing would improve over time.

Well, I basically had the same impression of this book. I thought the plotting was thin and the characters superficial. The dialogue seemed to artificial and pat. I didn't outright dislike Cursed; it was pleasant enough, but just rather weak.

I own this book.

message 19: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 17. Fallen by David Maine Fallen by David Maine

READ 10.3.09: for part of Task 15.1 GRAMMAR (PARTICIPLE)

I thought this was an interesting look at the story of our first family, Adam and Eve. It was told in four sections, each from a different perspective, in reverse order from Adam and Eve's fall from grace and their expulsion from the Garden of Eden. I felt like I was watching an old fashioned movie reel in reverse.

The murder of Abel by his brother Cain held a prominent spot in the plot. I think this was so because Cain's exile from his family mirrored his parents exile from the garden. It also begged the reader to consider the nature vs. nurture issue. If God created everything good, how could he allow evil into the world and how could Adam and Eve be held responsible for their actions if they were created in God's image. What could make Cain have so much murderous anger?

Maine portrays Cain as a typical misunderstood teen, while Abel was the son who could do no wrong. Eve often appeared hormonal and nagging. Adam bumbled along trying to figure out how to raise a family. With the inundation of dysfunctional families on every talk show on t.v., it was refreshing to be reminded that we are no different from the first family.

This book was also part of my "fall" themed group reads for both the Bookmark Subscribers and Busy as a Bee Books groups.

message 20: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 18. Another Thing to Fall (Tess Monaghan, Book 10) by Laura Lippman Another Thing to Fall by Laura Lippman

READ 10.7.09: for part of Task 15.1 GRAMMAR (VERB)

This was the second Tess Monaghan book I've read. I really like the sarcastic Baltimore private eye. The current plot put her on the production lot of a t.v. series being filmed in Baltimore. The pop references to movies and literature, and the local color of Baltimore, which is in my backyard, are fun to read about.

Interestingly, Lippman is married to a producer of the HBO series, The Wire, which was filmed in Baltimore. I can't wait to go back and start the beginning of this series. I'm glad I discovered her books in the Goodwill.

This book was also part of my "fall challenge" for the Bookmark Subscribers group.
I own this book

message 21: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 19. Coraline by Neil Gaiman Coraline by Neil Gaiman

READ 10.8.09: to complete Task 10.10 CAT

This was a quick read, geared more for the younger reader. In fact, my library had it shelved in the youth section and not the teen lounge. I think I was expecting it to be written on a more mature level.

The story was creepy and imaginative and I suspect if I was about 10 or 12, I would thoroughly enjoy it. However, it didn't really grab my attention as an adult. I don't know anything about the movie, but I think it would work well, if not better in film. I don't usually say that.

That being said, I'll probably go to bed and hear noises tonight and feel a hand tiptoeing across my bed, a fingernail caressing my cheek.........

This book was also part of my October reads for the Ultimate Teen Book Guide Challenge.

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Lisa wrote: "19. Coraline by Neil Gaiman Coraline by Neil Gaiman

READ 10.8.09: to complete Task 10.10 CAT

This was a quick read, geared more for the you..."

oooh can I have a link for the Ultimate teen book guide challenge thanks,

and my 10 yr old read coraline but said the movie really messed up the book and because the movie changed things, he got 2 questions wrong on his AR test.

message 23: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments Here's the link to the Ultimate Teen Challenge. We'd love to have you join us. I've also included the link to another group I'm in, which you might like.

The Ultimate Teen Book Guide Challenge

YA Reads for Teachers (And Any Other Adults!)

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Lisa wrote: "Here's the link to the Ultimate Teen Challenge. We'd love to have you join us. I've also included the link to another group I'm in, which you might like.

..."

thanks I need all the advice I can get : ) My son is 10 but reads at a 6 grade 4 month level ( just into the second month of 5th grade) i NEED suggestions for him, but no sex stuff, he EVEN hates if his characters mention a crush ( Percy jackson in the 5th book) and I try to keep the gory violence to a minumin I just joined both

message 25: by Carrie ♠ (new)

Carrie ♠ (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Lisa wrote: "Here's the link to the Ultimate Teen Challenge. We'd love to have you join us. I've also included the link to another group I'm in, which you might like.

..."

I just joined these myself. Could help me once I get back into teaching again. I don't know what it is about YA/Teen books, but I really enjoy them. Glad you posted, because I doubt I'd ever found the groups on my own.

message 26: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments @ Teresa & Kari

I'm glad you've both joined me in these groups. The Ultimate Teen group just started this month, so your timing is great. If you hadn't noticed, the challenge is based on a reading guide book. I ordered a copy from Alibris, which I should receive any day now. I paid under $5 for it. I'm a sucker for book lists. Stephanie, our moderator, just joined this challenge group this week. We belong to many of the same groups.

The YA group for teachers and other adults has been active since this summer. I'm one of the "other" adults who enjoy reading some good teen lit. Cherylann, our moderator has a wealth of knowledge when it comes to YA literature. Plus, she's lots of fun.

I'll also put in a plug for a group that Stephanie and I co-moderate. Bookmarks Subscribers is for those of us who like to read Bookmarks magazine and make reading lists from their recommendations and reviews. It's my favorite magazine! If you've never read it, look for it in your local bookseller or library. You can also get their reviews online at bookmarks magazine For Everyone Who Hasn't Read Everything. We are always looking for active readers.

I hope you enjoy the groups! :D

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Lisa wrote: "@ Teresa & Kari

I'm glad you've both joined me in these groups. The Ultimate Teen group just started this month, so your timing is great. If you hadn't noticed, the challenge is based on a readi..."

not sure if I will be active or not for bookmarks, but joined and I shall see.

I recently read
book whisperer and it had good insight in there on how to get kids to read, the author is a goodreads author too

message 28: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments Teresa, for joining my Bookmarks Subscribers group..................

[image error]

Spicecomments.com - Thanks Comments

If you've read a book and would like to share it with us, please feel free to start a thread on it. If you've never read Bookmarks, you can type in the name of the book to see if it's a book they've reviewed. If it is, then it will give the issue and you would post the comment in the issue folder. If not, then you can post it in the "Have You Read" folder.

I'll have to take a look at The Book Whisperer Awakening the Inner Reader in Every Child. Thanks!

Teresa in Ohio  (teresainohio) Lisa wrote: "Teresa, for joining my Bookmarks Subscribers group..................

Spicecomments.com - Thanks Comments

If you've read a book and would like to share it with us, please feel free to start a thre..."

thanks for all the new info, As for the book whisperer I wish more teachers approached reading her way, it would make more kids love it and not see it as chore or grade to get through

message 30: by Carrie ♠ (new)

Carrie ♠ (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments I've never head of The Book Whisperer but I am going to add that to my TBR and may just buy it for my growing reference books for teaching. I got the Daily 5 book but never had the chance to put it use in the classroom I had.

And just like Teresa, I'm not sure if I'll be able to contribute much to the the groups, but I will see what comes up.

message 31: by Carrie ♠ (new)

Carrie ♠ (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Teresa in Ohio wrote: "Lisa wrote: "@ Teresa & Kari

I'm glad you've both joined me in these groups. The Ultimate Teen group just started this month, so your timing is great. If you hadn't noticed, the challenge is b..."

On my TBR (and to own) list. Thanks, Teresa. Probably wouldn't have heard of it for a while had it not been for Goodreads.

And sorry, Lisa, don't mean to hijack your thread!

message 33: by Carrie ♠ (new)

Carrie ♠ (goodreadscomkeridwynn) | 196 comments Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Look like some pretty good book lists books.

message 34: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 20. Dead to the World (Sookie Stackhouse, #4) by Charlaine Harris Dead to the World by Charlaine Harris

READ 10.11.09: for part of Task 15.3 MATH DIVISION
RATING 5 stars

I'm really taking a lot of mindless pleasure in the Sookie series. Things are definitely heating up and I can't wait to see what happens next.

message 35: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 21. The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein The Art of Racing in the Rain by Garth Stein

READ 10.12.09: for Task 15.7 LET'S GET PHYSICAL
RATING 4 stars

After reading this book, I don't know if I'll be able to look at my dogs in the same way again. Enzo is a dog with human emotions, who tries to reconcile his family to some tragic events. It's funny, sad and heartwarming. It's the first book I've read in a long while where I needed tissues on hand.

message 36: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 22. The Ultimate Teen Book Guide by Daniel Hahn The Ultimate Teen Book Guide by Daniel Hahn

READ 10.15.09: haven't claimed for a task yet
RATING 5 stars

A wonderful guide of reader recommendations for teens and adults alike. I liked the layout of the book. Lots of inviting titles, genres and features.

This was for my Ultimate Teen Book Guide Challenge group

message 37: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 23. We Need to Talk About Kevin A Novel (P.S.) by Lionel Shriver We Need to Talk About Kevin A Novel by Lionel Shriver

READ 10.15.09: for part of Task 25.8 PERSON TITLE
RATING 3.5 stars

I'm trying to decide how I feel about this book. Cold. Disturbing. Pretentious. Irritating. These adjectives pretty much sum up my feelings for all the characters. Kevin's mother was so off-putting and aloof it was hard to muster any sympathy for her even when she deserved it. Kevin's father had his head stuck in the sand, when instead he should have had his foot up his son's butt. Kevin was just plain creepy. I had moments or rather pages when I was intrigued by the mother's dialogue and insight, but inevitably her detached manner made me feel cold. I wanted to reach out and hug her, but at arms distance with my face turned away.

This book wasn't meant to go down easy. It made me consider lots of things, like the issue of nature vs. nurture. Do parents really know their children and who they're raising? When is teen surliness, not a "teen thing," but aberrant behavior? Should parents be held accountable for the misdeeds and crimes of their offspring? What happens to families when parenting styles clash? This book lends itself to great discussion, but be prepared to feel unsettled after reading it.

I read for my Bookmarks Subscriber's group.

message 38: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 24. Book Crush For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest by Nancy Pearl Book Crush For Kids and Teens-Recommended Reading for Every Mood, Moment and Interest by Nancy Pearl

READ 10.15.09: for Task 10.8 RANDOM WORD GENERATOR - "crush"
RATING 3 stars

I liked the way this book was set up in three sections for young children, middle-grade readers, and teens. Each division discussed books related by a theme or mood. There was a nice mix of old and new books. I saw many I'd like to check out from the library.

I think the book could be improved if the recommended books stood out more, rather than just include the title in bold print, with a description, and the theme or topic discussed in essay form. I would prefer to see an introduction to the theme, then book covers and a description of the book.

I also would have liked more recommendations and themes in the teen section. It seemed the middle-grade readers received more attention. Overall, parents, kids and teachers could benefit from perusing Book Crush.

message 39: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 25. The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier

READ 10.17.09: for Task 15.10 STUDENT
RATING 3 stars

This was for an October group read for my YA Reads for Teachers (And Any Other Adults!) group.

message 40: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 26. Empire Falls by Richard Russo Empire Falls by Richard Russo

READ 10.23.09: for Task 25.4 BOOK/FILM
RATING 4 stars

This was for a group read for my Busy as a Bee Book group.

message 41: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 27. A Living Nightmare (Cirque Du Freak, #1) by Darren Shan A Living Nightmare by Darren Shan

READ 10.24.09: for part of Task 50.1 EMOTIONS
RATING 3 stars

This was a quick, simplistic read, definitely geared for middle schoolers, especially boys. The book was a little slow and weak at first, but picked up after the first 100 pages. Madame Octa creeped me out. (I'm not a fan of spiders since I was bitten the other year and had a bad reaction. My doctor had never seen anything like it.) Needless to say, I found the spider more horrifying than the vampire aspect of the book. I am intrigued by the ending and curious how the series continues.

This was for an October group read for my Ultimate Teen Book Guide Challenge group.

message 42: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 28. Song Yet Sung by James McBride Song Yet Sung by James McBride

READ 10.25.09: for part of Task 25.7 THREE WORD TITLE
RATING 4 stars

McBride captured the geography of the Eastern Shore and the landscape of it's inhabitants. Living on the shore, I could easily close my eyes and imagine the world he described. The area is rich in antebellum history as home to Harriett Tubman and Patty Cannon. His tale of the slave trade is not one of right and wrong or blame, but one where everyone is accountable and everyone is a victim of the times. I loved the visions of the dreamer and the mysteries surrounding the code for the gospel train. This was an eloquent story, told with the rhythm and flow of the waters of the Chesapeake Bay.

On a side note, this novel was chosen as the 2009 One Maryland One Book community read. Our book club will be reading it in October to coincide with the authors visit to Salisbury University on October 28, 2009. It sure is nice to have a book group member who proposed a grant to the Maryland Humanities Council to make this happen:)

This was for a group read for my face-to-face book group. We went to see the author lecture at a local university.

message 43: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 29. Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury

READ 10.25.09
RATING 4 stars

This was for an October group read for my Ultimate Teen Book Guide Challenge group.

message 44: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 30. Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen Garden Spells by Sarah Addison Allen

READ 10.26.09: for Task 5.2 APPLE COVER
RATING 4 stars

This story cast a spell over me and was an enchanting way to pass an afternoon. From the moment I opened it's beautiful cover and read the first paragraph, I felt as if I had slipped into another world full of magic and possibilities. It appealed to the dreamer inside me. I look forward to reading more of Allen's stories.

message 45: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 31. The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie (Perennial Classics) by Muriel Spark The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie Muriel Spark

READ 10.27.09: for Task 15.10 TEACHER
RATING 3 stars

I read because it's on the Modern Library Top 100 list.

message 46: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 32. Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury Something Wicked This Way Comes by Ray Bradbury

READ 10.28.09: for Task 5.6 HALLOWEEN ADJECTIVE
RATING 3 stars

I listened to the audiobook of Something Wicked This Way Comes. It's the first audio I've listened to in a very long time and it takes some getting used to. I found it difficult to pay attention in the beginning and don't know if it was a lack of interest in the story or my short attention span. I liked the story and found the carnival sinister and creepy, but I never really got caught up in the action. I may have liked it better if I read it rather than listened.

It was an October group read for The Modern Library 100 Best Novels Challenge.

message 47: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 33. The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey The Storyteller's Daughter by Cameron Dokey

READ 10.31.09: for Task 5.1 CHILDREN
RATING 4 stars

This was a beautiful retelling of the story of The Arabian Nights. The stories were captivating and wove their magic over me so I felt I was a young girl again dreaming about kings, palaces, innocent girls and scheming plots. Shahrazad held me spellbound as she deciphered her tales out of bolts of cloth. After reading this I wanted more, so I must find a way to fit The Arabian Nights onto my TBR soon.

message 48: by Lisa (new)

Lisa (lbhick) | 595 comments 34. A Night Without Armor Poems by Jewel A Night Without Armor Poems Jewel

READ 11.1.09: for part of Task 25.1 POETRY RHYMING TITLE
RATING 2.5 stars

There were a few poems I liked, but mostly I thought the work was just okay. Considering my age difference with Jewel it could be I would've appreciated her poetry at an earlier stage in my life.