What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > Dystopian, Hindu-like Reincarnation, from Golden Age or Before the Golden Age of Science Fiction

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Book2Dragon (new)

Book2Dragon I read this book in a "Mammoth Book of Science Fiction" about the year 1997. (between 1990-1998). It was a used book, and I don't know which edition it was. I've scanned other editions of "Mammoth..." but have not found it. It was written by one of the greats in science fiction, but I can't remember which one. In the story, the leader is placed in a vat of solution so that a new leader can be born. Only someone messes with the process. Instead of being holy, the man who is born is evil, sensuous, amoral and a sexual fanatic. He explains why ath the end, and the person who created him ends up on an endless wheel of torture which that same person had created. I've asked in some SF clubs and no one knows. There's your challenge.

message 2: by Lobstergirl, au gratin (new)

Lobstergirl | 37809 comments Mod
Book2Dragon is still looking for this and wrote:

"I read this book in a Golden Age of Science Fiction about the year 1997. (between 1990-1998). It was a used book, and I don't know which edition it was. I've scanned other editions of "Golden Age..." but have not found it. It was written by one of the greats in science fiction, but I can't remember which one. In the story, the leader is placed in a vat of solution so that a new leader can be born. Only someone messes with the process. Instead of being holy, the man who is born is evil, sensuous, amoral and a sexual fanatic. He explains why at the end, and the person who created him ends up on an endless wheel of torture which that same person had created. It might be one of Isaac Asimov's anthologies. I've asked in some SF clubs and no one knows. There's your challenge."

message 3: by Book2Dragon (new)

Book2Dragon Thanks, Lobstergirl. Can't seem to get an answer to this, short of buying every SF anthology.