Play Book Tag discussion

Oligarchy
This topic is about Oligarchy
January 2020: Thriller > Oligarchy - Scarlett Thomas - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Nikki | 661 comments I spent several years at a British boarding school, and although I’m happy to report that mine was far less sinister, the setting of this book was well described – the dorms that Tash and her friends shared were eerily familiar to me, and I laughed out loud at a couple of the school-related jokes. (Sorry Harry Potter fans, but it’s true that "no one, literally no one, gives a fuck about house points".) The inner lives of teenage girls made vulnerable by their desperate need to both fit in and stand out were described with painful believability, and there were some brilliant darkly comic descriptions of adult interventions that trod a fine line between ironically inept and subtly malicious. This was a fun read, and contains some great lines and scenes, but I didn’t connect with it as strongly as I did with the same author’s excellent The End of Mr. Y & Our Tragic Universe. While the various elements of the book were all well done, I wasn't always comfortable reading the insightful portrayals of teenage angst and the over-the-top satirical humour in the same book.

message 2: by Meli (new) - added it

Meli (melihooker) | 3249 comments This is on my want-to-read of 202 titles and this sounds like something I would love. I love teenage angst!

Nikki | 661 comments Meli wrote: "This is on my want-to-read of 202 titles and this sounds like something I would love. I love teenage angst!"

I'll be interested to hear what you think!