What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > (Young?) Children's Picture Book about mice? who live in a forest with other animals; beautiful illustrations; there were several books that focused mostly on holidays but maybe a few 'everyday' topics

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Molten*Violet (new)

Molten*Violet | 9 comments Hello! I have been looking for a picture book that was written for younger children. I found these books in the 2nd grade in(2007/8) and I was a bit old for them at that point. I found them at my school library in Toronto, Canada at the time but have no clue if they were 'Canadian books'. There were definitely several of these books(at least 3) in which I think mice lived and interacted with other forest creatures. The books mainly focused on holidays I believe. I'm not looking for one in particular - if I can figure out one, the rest should follow.

The illustrations were amazing and I recall the pages each having vines or something around the edges and there were lots of berries and flowers. It was close to the style of the Brambly Hedge books and some books by Jan Brett.

I don't really remember the plot of any of them but hopefully, somebody else has come across these.

message 2: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments The Mousekin series? There were several about holidays. Mousekin's Golden House is the first book.

message 3: by Lucina (new)

Lucina | 4 comments Sounds a bit like the Racey Helps books? They date from at least the 1950s but may have been re- issued since.

message 4: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments Maybe something by Tasha Tudor? I am thinking maybe Corgiville Christmas Corgiville Christmas by Tasha Tudor

message 5: by Molten*Violet (new)

Molten*Violet | 9 comments Hi! I've checked out all your suggestions- Thank you!

The Mousekin series has the right idea with the holidays but the artistic style's not right.

Racey Helps' books are close in style to what I remember (not quite it but pretty close) but there's too much going on if that makes sense. I seem to remember the books taking place in the woods/fields and that was pretty much the only location aside from maybe animals' burrows also in the woods/maybe a field.

Tasha Tudor is close in style but again not quite- it does have that older look to it though. As much as I love corgis I definitely remember that the books focused on woodland creatures.

I don't really seem to remember the characters wearing clothes, they were drawn/painted? fairly realistically; they might have but I seem to think not.

message 6: by Polly (new)

Polly (pollya) | 113 comments It has to be the Brambley Hedge Books!Summer Story and the other Jill Barklem books!

message 7: by Daniel (last edited Jan 23, 2020 11:36AM) (new)

Daniel Whisson | 14 comments If the main characters were perhaps hedgehogs instead of mice it might perhaps be Tales of Mrs. Hedgehog - Forest Friends Series, though I don't know if that ever made it to Canada (we had the Marks & Spencers version Tales of Mrs Hedgehog).

message 8: by Florence (new)

Florence | 397 comments Maybe the little grey rabbit books? Several animals appear in them and there’s both holiday and everyday stories?

message 9: by Molten*Violet (new)

Molten*Violet | 9 comments You would think it would be the Brambley Hedge books but it's not those.

It doesn't look to be the Tales of Mrs. Hedghog as that series is too cartoonish.
The little grey rabbit books are again close in style but there wasn't a main character in these books. Now that I think about it I don't think there were actually any characters aside from "mouse" or "bear".

I did remember that one of the holidays was in the spring and another was Valentine's day. Thanks again everyone!

message 10: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments Pleasant Fieldmouse?

One of the books is about Halloween and another is about Valentine's Day.

message 11: by Molten*Violet (new)

Molten*Violet | 9 comments No the books that I'm thinking of were all in color and was mostly pictures with little text- most of the page was an image.

message 12: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments Huh, I thought it might be because Pleasant Fieldmouse's Valentine Trick and Pleasant Fieldmouse's Halloween Party are shorter picture books.

Maybe the Little Grey Rabbit series? There were several woodland animals, possibly including mice. The Squirrel, the Hare and the Little Grey Rabbit is the first book.

message 13: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 4985 comments It's not the Little Grey Rabbit books.

message 14: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments There are a couple of other series with mice and holidays, but I think they might be too modern looking.

Valentine Mice! is one, but the style doesn't sound right. Ditto Silly Tilly's Valentine and others in that series.

Ann Schweninger has some books that might fit? Valentine Friends and Springtime are two titles, but I don't know that they're about mice.

Also Thacher Hurd has Little Mouse's Big Valentine and other holiday books, but again probably too modern of a style.

message 15: by Molten*Violet (new)

Molten*Violet | 9 comments You are right on all accounts in that the styles are too modern but I appreciate all the suggestions!

message 16: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments Did the books look new at the time? I wonder if they were published close to when you read them with an old-fashioned style, or if they might have been released originally decades prior to that.

message 17: by Molten*Violet (new)

Molten*Violet | 9 comments That is an excellent point! I believe that they were fairly new physically and I want to say they would not have been written more than 15 years before I read them but that is a ballpark. I want to say that they were just illustrated with an older style that was less cartoonish/modern.

message 18: by Sharlene (new)

message 19: by Sharlene (new)

Sharlene (swegner) | 44 comments How about Kevin Henkes? He has a whole bunch of books based around mice. Beautiful pictures, too. I'm not remembering holiday books, though.

message 20: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments I've pretty much been through the entire Worldcat catalog looking for possibilities. I tried "Valentine's Day" as a keyword since you're sure one of the books was about that holiday.

Honestly, I'm not coming up with many titles that look like they could be right. Valentine Foxes and The Very Special Valentine have others by the same author with holidays, but the style may still be too modern.

message 21: by Bonnie (last edited Jan 27, 2020 04:32PM) (new)

Bonnie | 222 comments Are you sure they were mice. Here's one about bunnies in the Holly Pond Hill series?

https://www.goodreads.com/author/list...

message 22: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 16151 comments Oh, that's a good thought. The Hugs & Kisses Contest could have been for Valentine's Day.

message 23: by Bonnie (new)

Bonnie | 222 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "Oh, that's a good thought. The Hugs & Kisses Contest could have been for Valentine's Day."

Yep, and there is one about Christmas, and the books have flowers and such around the frame.

message 24: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments Rainbowheart wrote: "I've pretty much been through the entire Worldcat catalog looking for possibilities. I tried "Valentine's Day" as a keyword since you're sure one of the books was about that holiday.

Honestly, I'm..."

I think you may have got it with Maggie Kneen . In addition to The Very Special Valentine you already mentioned, there is The Great Egg Hunt for Easter and she seems to put those borders around the illustrations.

message 25: by Lucina (new)

Lucina | 4 comments There are the Church Mice books by Graham Oakley. Though they don’t live in a forest but, unsurprisingly, in an old English church.

message 26: by Molten*Violet (new)

Molten*Violet | 9 comments Hello again everyone! Thank you for all the suggestions. Sadly none of them are quite right. I think the earlier suggestions were the closest to what I remember. I think that I might widen my search out to focus more on the style of the books rather than the holiday aspect. Perhaps that will have better luck.

message 27: by Adele (new)

Adele | 1206 comments I found a series of books by Janet McDonnell that includes Fall: A Tale of What's to Come This has a little mouse. Here is the cover: Fall A Tale of What's to Come by Janet McDonnell