Play Book Tag discussion

R is for Ricochet (Kinsey Millhone, #18)
This topic is about R is for Ricochet
January 2020: Thriller > [Poll Tally] R is for Ricochet by Sue Grafton - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-8 of 8 (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Theresa | 6316 comments Kinsey is hired by a wealthy but ailing man to pick up his daughter and bring her home when she's released from prison on parole. Reba has been serving time for embezzlement, and includes drugs, alcohol and a gambling addiction in her history. We learn Reba is bright, clever, good with numbers, and believes she's in love with Beck, so in love that it appears she took a fall for him on the embezzlement claim. As always, what appears a simple job turns into something else entirely, and before long tax evasion, money laundering, and off-shore banks are dancing across the pages.

I won't say more because of course as it all progresses, twists, turns, surprises abound before it reaches a very satisfactory ending. Along the way, there is external drama - with her landlord Henry and his colorful siblings, and Kinsey herself starts a romance. All of it warmed my heart and provided a delightful revisit to Santa Teresa, Kinsey and her pale blue vintage VW Bug. I'm really glad to be back reading Grafton's alphabet series.

Karin | 6920 comments Interesting. I listened to this and found this the weakest of the audiobooks (directing, etc so it was barely 3 stars for me. I liked most of the others I've read in this series better.

Theresa | 6316 comments Karin wrote: "Interesting. I listened to this and found this the weakest of the audiobooks (directing, etc so it was barely 3 stars for me. I liked most of the others I've read in this series better."

I read the print book (autographed hardcover first edition mind you), and really enjoyed this a lot. However, except for X which I read a year or so ago, it has been some years since I've read the series and I'm now reading them for challenges out of order. That likely has contributed. I thought this actually worked quite well as a standalone.

Doughgirl5562 | 718 comments Love Kinsey! It"s been a while since I read this one, but I remember thinking that it was one if my favorite in the series.

Theresa | 6316 comments Doughgirl5562 wrote: "Love Kinsey! It"s been a while since I read this one, but I remember thinking that it was one if my favorite in the series."

I liked how Kinsey was more an observer in this, like a supporting character.

message 6: by Barbara M (new) - added it

Barbara M (barbara-m) | 2187 comments I haven't read this series in ages but I loved the series and keep thinking I'll get back. I don't think I'm even half way through the alphabet.

message 7: by Joi (new)

Joi (missjoious) | 3782 comments Karin wrote: "Interesting. I listened to this and found this the weakest of the audiobooks (directing, etc so it was barely 3 stars for me. I liked most of the others I've read in this series better."

I've only read A, ad did it on audiobook. I absolutely hated it- the bullet noises, corny music, the 'production' of it. I recall someone else saying they loved that aspect of the audiobook. If/when I continue the series, I'll be reading in print.

message 8: by Karin (last edited Jan 25, 2020 11:08AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Karin | 6920 comments Theresa wrote: "Karin wrote: "Interesting. I listened to this and found this the weakest of the audiobooks (directing, etc so it was barely 3 stars for me. I liked most of the others I've read in this series bette..."

I read a number of them out of order, and mostly the ones with the second narrator since I started the audiobooks later on. But different stories and characters appeal to different people, I think.