Play Book Tag discussion

Mr. Midshipman Hornblower
This topic is about Mr. Midshipman Hornblower
Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. Forester - 4 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sue (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sue | 1090 comments Mr. Midshipman Hornblower by C.S. Forester

4 Stars
Listened on Audible

This was pure adventure, and the first book in a long series following Mr. Horatio Hornblower through his adventures in the Royal British Navy in the late 1800's.

Mr. Hornblower is just 17 years old when we meet him, a new midshipman on a British ship. Each chapter reads like a short story on it's own and we learn about life aboard ship, the hazing of a new midshipman, duels, gambling, press gangs, war with France and with Spain, storms, rescues, life and death.

I watched the A&E series years ago, and through the whole book I could picture the wonderful actor Ioan Gruffud who played Hornblower in the series.

This is the first audio I've listened to in a long time. The last time I listened to a book it was on cd, and the concept of listening via your phone was unimaginable. I'll definitely be listening to more books on audio going forward!

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7508 comments I have this on my list to read too. Glad to see it is worth it

message 3: by NancyJ (new) - added it

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5241 comments Great review! My husband read the entire Master and Commander series, and I wonder if this is similar. If 19th century wins, I think we'll read this one together.

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7508 comments NancyJ wrote: "Great review! My husband read the entire Master and Commander series, and I wonder if this is similar. If 19th century wins, I think we'll read this one together."

I might join you and the hubby!