Addicted to YA discussion

Recommendations > Clever, selfish, extraordinary main characters

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stormraised (new)

Stormraised | 43 comments I`ve just finished The Dark Descent of Elizabeth Frankenstein and I feel I`d love to spend more time with heroine such as Elizabeth. I`m looking for main character who cares mostly about himself/herself and doesn`t hestitate to lie and weasel to achieve the aim. He/she maybe engaged in some big deal, in some action to benefit commonalty, but in the conflict situation I`d like her to choice herself over the rest.
I`m just tired reading about heroes and heroines who fight to save the world (I don`t want to say that such character can`t be intresting, complicated and morally unobvious, let`s think about Katniss or Mare from Red Queen; I`m just looking for something else at the moment)

Anyone can help?

Here my examples of such characters:

Elisabeth – I really adore the way she achieves what he wants, her determination and putting herself on first place (herself and Victor? Because it`s sometimes hard to say, what she does for himself and what for herself ), her natural manipulation skills, which she uses even in common situations.
She`s definitely very complicated character. She may be considered just a stupid, submissive girl – but in her apparent compliance she is very calculated, she does it, because it brings her advantages, not because she feels she should. She`s a strong woman regardless of her weak position.

Adelina from The Young Elites– she goes further than just “healthy selfishness”turning during the first two books of the trilogy into antagonist. Formerly wronged, unappreciated, powerless girl raises into power, and newly discovered ability to control and hurt other elates her. Nevertheless, she is far more than just “mwhahaha evil”. We can observe her subtly turning bad, her first misdoings, often being mistakes, acts of fear or reactions to previously done harm. Her behaviour is maybe not justified, but steel understandable – so understandable that reader can miss the moment when protagonist turns into antagonist.

Characters from The Drowned Cities – The world described by Bacigalupi was so cruel, that they have to care only about themselves or their closest family/friends, any other attitude was fast way to death. And even the idealistic hero obtains very unpleasant lesson which shows him and us that in appropriate conditions anyone can do wrong. And it`s impossible to draw the line between “good” and “bad”, victims turn into torturers and torturers turn into victims.

Ashi✿TheAvidReader | 474 comments Vicious by VE Schwab.

Ashi✿TheAvidReader | 474 comments the main character is literally extra ordinary

message 4: by A (new)

A | 18 comments Definitely Celaena Sardothien from the Throne of Glass series, especially in the earlier books.

message 5: by Aahana (new)

Aahana  ♥ Well "Celaena" is definitely somewhat selfish I guess.(view spoiler)

message 6: by Sofia (new)

Sofia (sofloaf) | 93 comments Celaena!!! Or Aelin, if you so desire. Yelena, perhaps. Tris from Divergent.

message 7: by Hannah (new)

Hannah Mathew (hannhsusanm) | 12 comments Alessandra from "The Shadows between us" by Tricia Levenseller