The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Spearhead Sorbet

Comments Showing 1-50 of 389 (389 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Mar 15, 2020 12:14AM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Spearhead Sorbet

Team Members:

Donna Flynn - Captain
Shaw - Co-captain
Lexi - Co-captain
Denise R.
Bailey Charlotte
Colleen Drum
Lucy
Melissa
Ashley
Susan

Madeline Worrell
Ana
Anna Floyd
Andrea

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 5: by Donna (last edited Feb 27, 2020 01:54PM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments Important Info

Team Shelves
✔️Donna Flynn uno2020 Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Shaw kisuno20 Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Lexi UNO2020 Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Madeline Worrell MadKat’s shelf Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Denise R. uno Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Ana Challenge books Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Anna Floyd UNO 2020 Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Bailey Charlotte uno-challenge-20 Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Colleen Drum uno reads 2020 Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Andrea uno2020 Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Lucy Uno Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Melissa UNO Read Currently Reading Comments
✔️Ashley uno Read Currently Reading Comments

Countdowns
March

Links
All About UNO
Chat
FAQ
Share your favorite recipes here
Enter Books Here

Colour Covers
We are playing a game of common sense when it comes to cover colours :)
If you have a book you think is a certain colour, post to your team thread or ask your captain/co-captain. If your team/Cap/Co-cap agrees you are good to go. If you aren’t sure you may use tineye.

tineye

Every so often, a cover will look like a certain cover, but the tool tells you otherwise (as the image may not accurately reflect the cover). If you think you have an example of this, please let us know so we can get it approved in the captains group. If in doubt, or we don't receive a majority answer in the captains group, then don't use the book :)

Red Covers
Blue Covers
Green Covers
Yellow Covers

Important note
Some books on this list may not seem like the colour cover. This is because GR will show the default version. There may be a specific version that has been shelved that is the actual colour. The version you read is what you should shelve, and is what counts, for UNO

message 6: by Donna (last edited Mar 01, 2020 04:58PM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments March Cards

Card # of card
0 3
1 9
2 9
3 3
4 8
5 9
6 7
7 5
8 11
9 7
WildDr4 2
Wild 5
Reverse 8
Skip 5
Draw 2 5

Colored cards
2 Green
1 Green
3 Green
9 Red
4 Green
6 Green
8 Yellow
1 Yellow
7 Yellow

Claimed Cards

Cards Claimed By
2 Green Lexi
1 Green Shaw
3 Green
9 Red Lucy
4 Green Denise
6 Green Colleen
8 Yellow
1 Yellow Lexi
7 Yellow Melissa
WDraw4
WDraw4

message 7: by Donna (last edited Jan 22, 2020 06:23PM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments description

O (Zero)
Read a book that:
- has a 0 or Zero in the title
- has a title starting with Z
- has an author first name or surname starts with Z
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with Z
- is set in a place name starting with Z
- is a "stand-alone" book (i.e. not part of a series)

1 (One)
Read a book that:
- has a 1 or One in the title
- has a title starting with O
- has an author first name or surname starts with O
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with O
- is set in a place name starting with O
- is book 1 in a series

2 (Two)
Read a book that:
- has a 2 or Two in the title
- has a title starting with T
- has an author first name or surname starts with T
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with T
- is set in a place name starting with T
- is book 2 in a series

3 (Three)
Read a book that:
- has a 3 or Three in the title
- has a title starting with H
- has an author first name or surname starts with H
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with H
- is set in a place name starting with H
- is book 3 in a series

4 (Four)
Read a book that:
- has a 4 or Four in the title
- has a title starting with F
- has an author first name or surname starts with F
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with F
- is set in a place name starting with F
- is book 4 in a series

5 (Five)
Read a book that:
- has a 5 or Five in the title
- has a title starting with I
- has an author first name or surname starts with I
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with I
- is set in a place name starting with I
- is book 5 in a series

6 (Six)
Read a book that:
- has a 6 or Six in the title
- has a title starting with S
- has an author first name or surname starts with S
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with S
- is set in a place name starting with S
- is book 6 in a series

7 (Seven)
Read a book that:
- has a 7 or Seven in the title
- has a title starting with V
- has an author first name or surname starts with V
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with V
- is set in a place name starting with V
- is book 7 in a series

8 (Eight)
Read a book that:
- has an 8 or Eight in the title
- has a title starting with E
- has an author first name or surname starts with E
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with E
- is set in a place name starting with E
- is book 8 in a series

9 (Nine)
Read a book that:
- has a 9 or Nine in the title
- has a title starting with N
- has an author first name or surname starts with N
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with N
- is set in a place name starting with N
- is book 9 in a series

Skip
Read a book that:
- has a title starting with K or P
- has an author first name or surname starts with K or P
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with K or P
- is set in a place name starting with K or P
OR you can choose to "skip" reading a book for this cards (and get no points for this card)

Draw 2
Use the same book for two cards in this hand (and get points for both cards)

Reverse
One member of your team must read a book another team member has already read

Wild
Read a book that can fit for any of the cards in that SAME hand (i.e. you are duplicating one of the cards in that same hand)

Wild draw four
Read a book that can fit for any of the coloured cards you have that month (i.e. you are duplicating one of your coloured cards. Each coloured card can only be duplicated once)

Coloured cards
Special coloured cards will be randomly provided each month. for these cards you need to read for the card number (as above) and the book must also have a coloured cover for the colour specified (blue, red, yellow or green)

message 8: by Donna (last edited Feb 13, 2020 07:26PM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments February Mini Challenge

Full Mini Challenge

The words need to be found as words in text or title, items on covers or cover colours. All numbers, are matched to books read by page numbers, series numbers or publication dates. So gloves can be a word in the text or a picture on the cover. For white, it can be a white cover or the white filling in an oreo cookie on the cover.

Words
airtight
bananas
circle
cold
cornflour
diagonally
dry
eggs
electric
glass
gloves
kiwifruit
lady
limes
moon
orange
passionfruit
peaks
pen
plate
pure
sharp
shredded
spoon
starfruit
stomach
sugar
thickened
touch
vanilla
white

Numbers

Bonus:
Have your team create a recipe for your team name and submit via message to the UNO Pixie by Feb 29 to receive an additional 30 bonus points.

message 9: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments R

message 10: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments Hi team! I am one of your captains for this round of UNO. I live in Pennsylvania with my husband and 2 of my 3 kids. My 3rd is a Marine and we are very proud of him.

I am looking forward to getting to know all of you during this challenge. Let's have some fun reading and playing UNO!

message 11: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 23 comments Hi everyone!

I'm new to challenges on Goodreads, and I'm really looking forward to diving in with you all. I resolved to read for fun more this year, so hopefully this will help!

I live in a small town in Alberta. I'm a High School English teacher, so hopefully some of my reads for class will fit in our hands!

message 12: by Denise (last edited Jan 22, 2020 05:17PM) (new)

Denise (drams5) | 369 comments Hi everyone! This is my second year doing this challenge. I liked it so much last year, I felt like I went through withdrawal when it was over. I'd see an amazing looking book with a red cover and think, no... it's June. I'll wait. 😂

I live with my husband, three boys, a guinea pig, and a beagle. I work in a public library, so find myself thinking about these challenges throughout the day... maybe more than I should!

message 13: by Shaw (new)

Shaw | 446 comments Hi team! I’m Shaw and I live in Wyoming so I do a lot of reading especially in these windy, snowy months. I love it though and I love playing UNO. So excited to get started!

message 14: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 519 comments Hi, I’m Lexi. I’m one of the co-captains and I live in Boston with two cats. I read a lot but have been unusually busy recently and am not quite reading at my usual level.

message 15: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Hello,

I am a newcomer to this game.

I live in New Mexico with my husband and three dogs.

I am very nervous. Lol.

message 16: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments Bailey & Madeline,

Don't worry. This game really isn't all that hard. This is actually only my second time around and I captained last time too. Those of us who have played before will help you along. Don't be nervous. Just try to have fun and only read what you enjoy.

message 17: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Donna wrote: "Bailey & Madeline,

Don't worry. This game really isn't all that hard. This is actually only my second time around and I captained last time too. Those of us who have played before will help you al..."

Thanks! I’m glad I am not the only newbie.

message 18: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments Just take some time to check out messages 5-7. There is some really important info in those messages and I will be updating as necessary.

message 19: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 369 comments Team Captains - do you plan on having people "claim" all the cards at the start of the month...or just the color cards? I've only participated one other time, but I remember that some teams planned everything and others just kind of filled in as they went. Either works for me - just curious!

message 20: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments We haven't actually talked about it yet. I just set up the captain's chat.

Last year, my team read what they wanted and we had a spreadsheet where the team entered their books marking everything that their book fit. Then we moved things around until everything was covered. I can recreate that spreadsheet or we can try something new.

Team thoughts?

message 21: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments FYI there are lists of colored cover books in message 5 for your convenience.

message 22: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 23 comments I'm generally not a super type-A planner, so a more loosey goosey spreadsheet as we go would work best for me. That being said I generally read from my library, so I have a fairly firm TBR pile.

How many hands is typical to get through in a month?

message 23: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 23 comments Donna wrote: "Bailey & Madeline,

Don't worry. This game really isn't all that hard. This is actually only my second time around and I captained last time too. Those of us who have played before will help you al..."

Thanks, Donna! All the different cards are a little confusing right now, but I think I'll get a handle on it quickly.

message 24: by Denise (last edited Jan 23, 2020 02:35PM) (new)

Denise (drams5) | 369 comments I thought it was fun to have some flexibility to read whatever I wanted throughout the month and hope that it would fit somewhere, but I'm open to whatever everyone else wants. I don't want it to be extra work for the captains. There's a lot to manage for the three of you.

I have a book here that will work for the yellow 3 that I've intentionally not started.

message 25: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 23 comments I’m waiting to get into Station Eleven till next week. And I have On Earth We’re briefly gorgeous ready to go, so that would be a 7.

message 26: by Donna (last edited Jan 25, 2020 11:31AM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments description

Lexi, Shaw and I have had our heads together discussing the best way to play this game. We feel that the fairest way to do this so that everyone has fun is to claim only the color cards. We also have a spreadsheet for you to enter your books in. You will need to choose all the options that your book fits so we can move things around as necessary to get everything covered. Is this ok with everyone?

Enter Books here

Colored cards to claim for February...claim away

0 Yllw 1 Madeline
2 Red 1 Denise
3 Red 1
3 Yllw 1 Denise
5 Green 1
7 Red 1 Shaw
8 Blue 1 Bailey
WDraw4 3Yllw Anna
WDraw4 8Blue Lexi
WDraw4

message 27: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Can you explain what this means to the new people?

message 28: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments Of course. The colored cards must meet 2 requirements.

So for the 0 yellow card your book must have 50% yellow cover AND meet one of the requirements for a 0 card.

O (Zero)
Read a book that:
- has a 0 or Zero in the title
- has a title starting with Z
- has an author first name or surname starts with Z
- has a character with a first name, surname or nickname starting with Z
- is set in a place name starting with Z
- is a "stand-alone" book (i.e. not part of a series)

Does that make sense?

message 29: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments We only have 7 colored cards for February so we are having you guys claim which one you want now so we know who is covering them.

message 30: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Yes. We have to find all of these cards.

message 31: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments You may enter your books into the spreadsheet as you are reading or when you are finished. When one of the captains see a completion date, they will enter it into the team spreadsheet and rearrange as needed so that we fill in all the cards.

message 32: by Madeline (new)

Madeline I didn’t understand what all of those meant. I see, thank you, this is the hand that is dealt, I’m sorry, I feel like such a dunce.

message 33: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 369 comments Madeline wrote: "Yes. We have to find all of these cards."

As a team - not you individually. ;) Trust me -- it'll be fun. :)

message 34: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments The numbered cards are the easiest to read for and usually fit more than 1 card. So the spreadsheet is set up to allow you to choose an item under every card so the captains know what cards it will fit. We can then shuffle cards around as needed.

The colored cards are usually the hardest because it has to fit a specific number and be 50% of that color so we are asking people to volunteer to find a book to fit that card.

message 35: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments Madeline wrote: "I didn’t understand what all of those meant. I see, thank you, this is the hand that is dealt, I’m sorry, I feel like such a dunce."

Don't feel that way. You have never played. It make take a book or two until you get the hang of it. Once you start playing it will be so much easier.

message 36: by Madeline (new)

Madeline Denise wrote: "Madeline wrote: "Yes. We have to find all of these cards."

As a team - not you individually. ;) Trust me -- it'll be fun. :)"

Do I just pick one card?

message 37: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments Our February cards are in message 6 if you want to know what cards we have and how many of each.

message 38: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments Madeline wrote: "Denise wrote: "Madeline wrote: "Yes. We have to find all of these cards."

As a team - not you individually. ;) Trust me -- it'll be fun. :)"

Do I just pick one card?"

Go ahead and pick one colored card and I will tell you what you need to look for to cover it.

message 39: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 369 comments I have The Unhoneymooners planned as my first read in February. It should work for yellow 3 (the "unhoneymoon" takes place in Hawaii). Do you want me to go ahead and enter it now?

The Unhoneymooners by Christina Lauren

As we get closer, let me know if there are any special cards we're struggling with. I can always wander the library..

I saw in some of the pre-Uno chit chat that we aren't using tineye for the book covers this year. I about did a cartwheel. Sometimes it was great, but we had a few last year that were so obviously the right color and tin-eye would call it "light burgundy" or the picture we were using would look orange, but the actual book cover looked fire engine red. Anyway - I think that will make it much easier for people.

message 40: by Bailey (new)

Bailey | 23 comments I’ll claim the blue 8 with Station Eleven (Emily St. John Mandel)

message 41: by Donna (last edited Jan 23, 2020 06:29PM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments They said we are not required to use tineye but you may still use it. Anything that looks obviously one color and it doesn't see it then you can use your judgement. If you really do not know, ask here and we can vote on it. Worse case scenario, one of the captains will take it to the captain's group for an official ruling. This is also in message 5 (came from the mods post over in the captains group).

message 42: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 369 comments Bailey wrote: "I’ll claim the blue 8 with Station Eleven (Emily St. John Mandel)"

I haven't read that one, but I saw this on a list of most anticipated books of 2020 and thought it looked good.

The Glass Hotel

Let us know what you think of Station Eleven.

message 43: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments Please let me know if you can't open the spreadsheet. They can be temperamental sometimes.

message 44: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 369 comments Thanks to all 3 captains for all the work on set up and keeping track of books.

message 45: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 369 comments Donna wrote: "Please let me know if you can't open the spreadsheet. They can be temperamental sometimes."

I could open it! Could you move me from 0- yellow to 3- yellow in the color cards claimed message? Unless it has a Z character... I'll let you know. 😉

message 46: by Denise (new)

Denise (drams5) | 369 comments If Madeline and I both do 3 yellow, that could work for the 3 yellow and a wild draw 4, right?

message 47: by Donna (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments Denise wrote: "Donna wrote: "Please let me know if you can't open the spreadsheet. They can be temperamental sometimes."

I could open it! Could you move me from 0- yellow to 3- yellow in the color cards claimed ..."

Gotcha.

message 48: by Donna (last edited Jan 23, 2020 07:46PM) (new)

Donna (dkflynn33) | 496 comments Denise wrote: "If Madeline and I both do 3 yellow, that could work for the 3 yellow and a wild draw 4, right?"

Yes, I should probably add that to the grab list.

message 49: by Madeline (last edited Jan 24, 2020 06:22AM) (new)

Madeline O yellow. The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock by Jane Riley . ?

message 50: by Lexi (new)

Lexi | 519 comments Madeline wrote: "3 yellow. The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock by Jane Riley. ?"

It would work for 0 yellow but would need a H character or H Place to work for the 3.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8