The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Pioneer Profiteroles

Comments Showing 1-50 of 385 (385 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
Team Pioneer Profiteroles

Team Members:

San - Captain
Annika - Co-captain
Dave Graybosch
Silje K
Sabrina Street
MyzanM
Kerri
Alissa
Ann colangelo

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 5: by Annika (last edited Feb 04, 2020 06:28AM) (new)

Annika | 1412 comments fancy-fonts

Below are a some reference links.

📜 Rules - All about UNO

📜 FAQ

📜 Team Spreadsheet

📜 Tracking spreadsheet

📜 Current Points sheet

fancy-fonts
📚 San
📚 Annika
📚 Dave
📚 Silje
📚 Sabrina
📚 MyzanM
📚 Kerri
📚 Alissa
📚 Ann

As with all games there are a few rules we need to follow. All of them can be found in the first link above, but a few note worthy are:

📖 Only books started after the challenge begins will count. Countdown to challenge start
📖 When you finish a book, please mark it as read and place it on your uno shelf.
📖 Post your finished book in this thread and list all the options the book works for. The more options the better (as it will be easier to switch around if needed)
📖 It helps to friend your team members, especially for the reverse cards - it's not a requirement but might help.
📖 Then we have the most difficult ones; the colour cards. To count they need to be at least 50% of that colour. If you are unsure ask the team, and if we are still unsure captains will take it to the captains group for a ruling.

📖 And lastly - and most important - have fun. Uno is a social challenge rather than a competitive one, so don't forget to interact with your team. Talk about books and baking and anything under the sun ;)

message 6: by Annika (last edited Feb 26, 2020 11:56AM) (new)

message 7: by Annika (last edited Mar 15, 2020 01:07AM) (new)

Annika | 1412 comments

message 8: by Annika (last edited Mar 15, 2020 01:07AM) (new)

Annika | 1412 comments

message 9: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments

message 10: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments
Hey everyone and welcome to Team Pioneer Profiteroles

Welcome to the 6th UNO challenge and the first game of this decade. Don't worry if you haven't played before, it's not as difficult as it first seems. If you have any questions, we captains are more than happy to help you out, and I'm guessing so will our returning players. It's a friendly game and a lot of fun :)

So have a look around, take a peek at the cards, and come introduce yourselves.

As for me, I live in Sweden and have been a bookworm since way back when. Though it got way worse after playing UNO that first year and my reading skyrocketed. ;) For the past year or so I mainly listen to audiobooks and always have a book playing in my ear from early morning and until I go to bed. I mainly listen to m/m romances of all genres, but a good mystery or fantasy novel liven things up every now and then. I can't say that's profiteroles is a dish I've ever tasted, but it looks delicious! And those pioneers look so cute!

message 11: by San (new)

San  (btsentence) | 547 comments description

Hello everyone and welcome in Team Pioneer Profiteroles (I'm gonna get hungry every time I see our name)!
It so good to finally be able to plan Uno again! And I'm so happy to meet you all! Some of you I had pleasure to played in the past but I'm also so excited to meet new players!
As Annika already reserved some posts and introduce the basic rules above I will go straight to introducing myself.
I'm Sandra (San from short) and I'm from Poland. This is the 4th Uno for me and the 2nd as the Captain. I love reading so many genres that I don't know which I should mention, lately I'm reading many contemporary books but I'm also fan of fantasy and crime.
I'm really looking for some recommendation of books as last year I spend reading mostly ARC and I kind of behind with popular ones from last year.
And I have no idea what to say more, my brain is kind of dead right now after overhours at work and language exam so I'm surprised I remembered even what's my name is.
I can't wait to know more about y'all!

message 12: by San (new)

San  (btsentence) | 547 comments Annika, can you add my link to my shelf ;)

San's shelf

message 13: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Added :)

message 14: by San (last edited Mar 14, 2020 09:57AM) (new)

San  (btsentence) | 547 comments description

Perky Space Travel! March Mini Challenge

This is an optional mini challenge for our UNO players. This month we are readying ourselves for a voyage through space!

In February, you have assembled your space treats already. Now it is time for everything else to come together.

Readying yourselves for space travel takes a certain amount of discipline and preparations. Complete the given tasks and by the end, you will be ready for perky space travel!

◈ Every book read, i.e. every task completed, is worth 10 points. (tasks are listed in the post below)
◈ If you complete all your travel preparations, your team will receive 30 bonus points.

description

Once you have everything you need to get ready, tell us a little story, why don't you?
A little anticipation on what you expect to encounter in your preparations, or your travels. Maybe a crazy mishap during your travels, maybe a totally wonderful yet incredibly unbelievable romance....

Use the titles of 15 books to tell us your memoirs. Be as creative as you like. You can use as much or as little of a title as you see fit.

◈ Books can be used either for the tasks or for the story.
◈ Every book used for the story will be worth 10 points.
◈ Finishing your story will earn your team an additional 30 points.

description

◈ Books can be started at any point since the start of the UNO challenge (Feb 1)
◈ Books need to be finished after the start of this mini challenge on March 15, 7pm AEDST (countdown is here) and before April 1 at 7pm AEST (Countdown to April is here)

◈ Books used for this mini challenge do not need to be separate books for what you are claiming for your UNO hands
◈ The usual book length rules apply
◈ Team spreadsheets will be updated with a mini challenge tab so that you can track your books and claim your points

Are you ready to launch?

description

message 15: by San (last edited Mar 14, 2020 10:00AM) (new)

San  (btsentence) | 547 comments

Tasks

Some more things other than food need to be gathered.
1. Read a book with a drink on the cover.
2. Read a book with a blanket on the cover.
3. Read a book with a character who goes shopping.
4. Read a book that is tagged adventure.
5. Read a book with a character who starts something new.

What it takes for you to get ready.
6. Read a book with a character who wears a suit.
7. Read a book that is tagged (cozy) mystery.
8. Read a book by a new-to-you author.
9. Read a book that was first published in 2019.
10. Read a book that is tagged sports.
11. Read a book where a character has a dog.
12. Read a book with a character who takes a risk.
13. Read a book with an overprotective character.
14. Read a book with a character who goes to school.
15. Read a book where someone is on a mission.

What it takes to ready your ship.
16. Read a book with any kind of ship on the cover.
17. Read a book with stars on the cover.
18. Read a book that is tagged science-fiction.
19. Read a book with work tools on the cover.
20. Read a book with a character who builds something.

Ready for the launch party!
21. Read a book where someone leaves (going away for a long time, break up, death....).
22. Read a book with glasses (for drinking) on the cover.
23. Read a book where someone prepares (lots of) food.
24. Read a book with lights on the cover.
25. Read a book where characters go to a party.

message 16: by San (new)

San  (btsentence) | 547 comments

message 17: by Kerri (new)

Kerri Ramos | 43 comments Can’t wait to start again this year! Hello everyone new and Annika!

message 18: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Hi Kerri, nice to see you again! :)

message 19: by MyzanM (new)

MyzanM | 156 comments Hi everyone!
I’m not exactly new to UNO. I played in 2018, but skipped last year because I had such a busy schedule. I think I’ll get into it again quickly. I’m a real challenge addict, even if I’ve been forced to scale it down a bit and almost only do individual challenges (so far) this year. It’s like the no-buy thing... No big demanding team challenges. Good intentions and all that.... Too bad (good?) that I’m not good at keeping resolutions like that...

I’m a Swedish bookworm *waves to Annika Trevligt att träffas!*
I cracked the code when I was 3 and haven’t been spotted without a book since. I mostly read romance (a lot of PNR and M/M). But quite frankly, I will read almost anything. If the mood strikes and it’s in a language I know, I will read it.

With all that... I’m excited to start and will go through my books to see what I can commit to in regards to the color cards when I get home tonight.

message 20: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Hej Mysan! Nice to see another Swede on the team :)

message 21: by Sabrina (last edited Jan 23, 2020 04:56AM) (new)

Sabrina Street | 307 comments Hi everyone,

I'm checking in. This is my 3rd UNO challenge, and I can't wait for Feb 1. I have a list of books I've been holding off on reading and can't wait to read. I prefer reading about rock stars, tattooers, and vampires. I don't care if the characters are in M/F or M/M relationships. A good plot is a good plot.

Later tonight I'll go through my library to see what potential cards I can cover. I might need to raid MyzanM's book shelf for the reverse cards :) I think we may have some of the same interests.

Oh, are we going to have a working spreadsheet, or are we just going to list the books we finished as messages?

message 22: by Annika (last edited Jan 23, 2020 05:22AM) (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Hi Sabrina! welcome to the team!

I guess that depends on if you want to have a tracking ss or not. Personally I don't mind either way, but having the books in posts tends to inspire more book talk :)
- and increasing TBRs

message 23: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Speaking of books, which was the last 5 star book you read?

message 24: by David (new)

David Graybosch | 33 comments Hi,

This is my first uno challenge. I read mostly fantasy, sci-fi and mythology of any type, but am willing to give most books a try.

message 25: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Hi David and welcome to the group, we hope you'll love uno as much as we do :)

message 26: by San (new)

San  (btsentence) | 547 comments Hi Kerri, MyzanM, Sabrina and Dave! Nice to meet you all!

message 27: by Silje (new)

Silje (sikna) | 832 comments Hi everyone!

I'm Silje from Norway (*waving to my fellow Scandinavians*). I believe this will be my fifth or sixth UNO Challenge=) I see some familiar faces, it will be fun to play together again!

Last year I switched jobs, so now I work at a bookstore=D I can read books from almost any genre, but I usually prefer fantasy, YA, historical fiction and thrillers. Like Annika, I listen to a lot of audiobooks.

message 28: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Hey Silje nice to see you again! :)

And working in a bookstore... all those books.... *dreams away*

And speaking of audiobooks, do you know about the sites that gives away free audible codes?

message 29: by San (new)

San  (btsentence) | 547 comments Hi Silje! It's nice to play with you again!

Speaking of audiobooks. I would love some recommendations (especially if it will help with our cards). I have problem with listening to them because I lose concentration easy but I travel to work by bus while standing so it would be easier to listen than to read.

message 30: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Any particular genre you are looking for?

message 31: by San (new)

San  (btsentence) | 547 comments Maybe some Romance, Contemporary? Can be fantasy but nothing really 'heavy' because I have to get into audiobooks

message 32: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Most of my recs are m/m as they and audio kind of happened at the same time for me, but here are a few of my recs for a variety of genres:

In Milady's Chamber A John Pickett Mystery (John Pickett Mysteries Book 1) by Sheri Cobb South - historical mystery

Widdershins (Whyborne & Griffin, #1) by Jordan L. Hawk - histporical, pnr, m/m

Sunset Lake by John Inman - mystery, m/m (this book has stayed with me for years)

Naked in Death (In Death, #1) by J.D. Robb - mystery, futuristic (Awesome narrator)

Storm Front (The Dresden Files, #1) by Jim Butcher - PNR (Narrated by James Masters - Think Spike from Buffy)

How to Howl at the Moon (Howl at the Moon #1) by Eli Easton - m/m romance, light-hearted, funny, dog shifters

Tell Me It's Real (At First Sight, #1) by T.J. Klune - m/m, contemporary, funny

The Weight of It All by N.R. Walker - m/m, contemporary, funny

message 33: by MyzanM (new)

MyzanM | 156 comments I personally love using spreadsheets to keep stuff organized, but I also know Spreadsheets are not for everyone.
I actually like seeing what everyone reads, which might be easier in the thread, but I'm afraid to hog the thread with my books if we are listing all possibilities...

So maybe a combination? Input all the possibilities in a SS, but also posting a completion in the thread and maybe note if that particular book fit a color card or if it was a really good book that made you excited...

I had a copy of the SS my team used in 2018 to put all our books in. The captains then used that to put books into the "real" SS.
I fixed it up a bit just in case this is something we would like to use. You can all access it from this link:
UNO Library Spreadsheet

I can probably format it so that the rows of used books automatically turn in a different color if we use it.
Also, if we do use it and someone on the team is not confident or able to use the SS I can help putting their books in.

message 34: by San (new)

San  (btsentence) | 547 comments Thank you! I will check those! Do you have some site where you listen to audiobooks?

message 35: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments San wrote: "Thank you! I will check those! Do you have some site where you listen to audiobooks?"

I get most of mine from Audible

message 36: by MyzanM (last edited Jan 23, 2020 01:21PM) (new)

MyzanM | 156 comments San wrote: "Maybe some Romance, Contemporary? Can be fantasy but nothing really 'heavy' because I have to get into audiobooks"

I'm struggling to keep my focus on audio boos as well so I don't have many recs....

Have you tried the "Neighbor from Hell" series?
They are easy and fun so I would imagine they would be good for audio.
Playing for Keeps (Neighbor from Hell, #1) by R.L. Mathewson Playing for Keeps is the first book in the series. They are unfortunately not colored.

message 37: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Have you tried speeding the audio up? - that helps me a lot (and saves me hours on every audiobook)

message 38: by MyzanM (new)

MyzanM | 156 comments Silje wrote: "Hi everyone!

I'm Silje from Norway (*waving to my fellow Scandinavians*). I believe this will be my fifth or sixth UNO Challenge=) I see some familiar faces, it will be fun to play together again!..."

Oh, a real dream! All those books....
I actually mostly grew up in a library as my mother was a librarian, but I hate to return all my friends, so I tend to buy more than borrow...

message 39: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Street | 307 comments MyzanM wrote: "San wrote: "Maybe some Romance, Contemporary? Can be fantasy but nothing really 'heavy' because I have to get into audiobooks"

I'm struggling to keep my focus on audio boos as well so I don't have..."

I love this series. She is coming out with a new book in May. I can't wait.

Although they are not colored, I've read everyone of these books. We could use them for reverses if you decide to read them.

message 40: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Street | 307 comments Annika wrote: "Hi Sabrina! welcome to the team!

I guess that depends on if you want to have a tracking ss or not. Personally I don't mind either way, but having the books in posts tends to inspire more book talk..."

I could do either way.

Here is an example of what I can place in the thread:
Bound by Vengeance by Brenda K. Davies
2nd in series
Characters: Vicky, Nathan Holter, Kadence, Paige, Saxon, Elfry, Ida
Cards: 2, 3, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and skip.

If you have a SS, I can do that too. Just let me know what you decide on.

message 41: by Sabrina (last edited Jan 23, 2020 06:25PM) (new)

Sabrina Street | 307 comments Annika wrote: "Speaking of books, which was the last 5 star book you read?"

This morning I finished, Revelation (protectors #7) by Sloane Kennedy. I have been jumping between 3 and 4 stars all through out the series. Although it includes references to physical, emotional and sexual abuse, I gave it 5 stars because I really enjoyed the plot. This whole series has warnings for references to physical, emotional and sexual abuse, but book 6 was a bit much for me. Although I almost gave it up after book 6, I really want to discover what happens to a character that was introduced in book 4. His book is book 11. I am going to try and finish the series, but, if nothing else, I'll jump to 11 and call it good.

What was your last star book?

message 42: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Street | 307 comments San wrote: "Thank you! I will check those! Do you have some site where you listen to audiobooks?"

Since I like romance, I have an Audible Escapes subscription. Some of the categories are romantic comedy, immortal, contemporary, thriller . . . You can have up to 10 audiobooks out at a time.

message 43: by Sabrina (new)

Sabrina Street | 307 comments I looked at my Library. I could cover the following special books:

1. Red 9 - character Dwight Foote
A Taste for Red by Lewis Harris

2. Possible wild (blue 6 and card 5)
Blue 6 - character Savannah
card 5- title (we know how hard it is to get I's and we need 7 this round)
Instant Attraction by Lauren Blakely

3. Possible wild (reverse and card 5)
Reverse - read previously by MyzanM
card 5 - title
Idol (VIP, #1) by Kristen Callihan

4. Potential Blue 3- (needs a Ruling)
The Mysterious Affair at Styles (Hercule Poirot #1) by Agatha Christie

Tineye says it has 64.4% blue Lagoon (green). The cover looks blue, but tineye is labeling it green. If we get to use it as Blue; it can count as Blue 3- character Hastings. I don't think it will work for Green 4. Let me know what the verdict is on Blue or Green for this cover.

5. reverse - read previously by MyzanM
Sinner's Gin (Sinners, #1) by Rhys Ford
Sinner's Gin (Sinners Series Book 1) by Rhys Ford

message 44: by Alissa (new)

Alissa | 324 comments Hi All,

I can’t wait for February 1st to get started! I live in the US in Texas. I’ve played UNO for the last three years and I just love the no stress factor of the challenge.

I also have a very eclectic reading style. So I will give anything a try especially if someone recommends it except horror that is probably the genre I will avoid at all costs.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and adding lots of books to my TBR list and probably will do that after writing this.🤓

I like the idea of a little bit of both in the thread and spreadsheet but whatever we decide I’m good with.

message 45: by MyzanM (new)

MyzanM | 156 comments Alissa wrote: "Hi All,

I can’t wait for February 1st to get started! I live in the US in Texas. I’ve played UNO for the last three years and I just love the no stress factor of the challenge...."

Good to see you Alissa!

message 46: by MyzanM (last edited Jan 23, 2020 11:20PM) (new)

MyzanM | 156 comments I’ve looked through my books and have books to cover all color cards so I’ll just sit back and let everyone take their picks and I’ll fill in the blanks.

I also have books that will fit card 5. And all other cards. I’ll adjust my reading to what is needed for the team.

message 47: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments I've added the link to the spreadsheet Myzan created for us in the post above for easy access.(thank you Myzan :) ).

We can use this for traking planned/read books, this sheet is open for everyone to use and add to.

message 48: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Alissa wrote: "Hi All,

I can’t wait for February 1st to get started! I live in the US in Texas. I’ve played UNO for the last three years and I just love the no stress factor of the challenge.

I also have a ve..."

Hi Alissa, welcome to the team!

message 49: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Sabrina wrote: "Annika wrote: "Speaking of books, which was the last 5 star book you read?"

This morning I finished, Revelation (protectors #7) by Sloane Kennedy. I have been jumping between 3 and 4 stars all thr..."

I hate it when that happens, when you want to read about a particular character and you have to wait books and books befor their story comes. Okay so not hate, but it's frustrating to wait ;)

I don't rate that many books 5 stars but actually read two this week:

Stars - political futuristic thriller. Tal Bauer sure knows how to write political thrillers. The subject matters are a bit OTT and unbelievable at times, but the level of details and the millions of threads he weaves are nothing short of amazing. His books tend to leave my brain a bit fried from the information overload - but I don't think they are intended to be read cover to cover in an afternoon either ;)

Why We Fight - On the complete oppiside side of the scale. This book doesn't take much serious, it's funny and quirky - but it's also bittersweet as it is the end of a series.

message 50: by Annika (new)

Annika | 1412 comments Sabrina wrote: "I looked at my Library. I could cover the following special books:

1. Red 9 - character Dwight Foote
A Taste for Red by Lewis Harris

2. Possible wild (blue 6 and card 5)
Blue 6 - character S..."

I've asked the question to the other captains, and let you know whta they think :)

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8