The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Innovation Jelly

Comments Showing 1-50 of 435 (435 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1353 comments
Team Innovation Jelly

Team Members:

Deanna - Captain
Annalisa - Co-captain
Anan Ashraf
Vernice
Sunny
Ann Sicker
Sharon A.
Romina
Alejandra
Morta

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 5: by Deanna (last edited Jan 24, 2020 03:46PM) (new)

Deanna | 381 comments

Team Innovation Jelly Member Shelves
Deanna
Annalisa
Anan Ashraf
Vernice
Sunny
Ann Sicker
Sharon A.
Romina
Alejandra
Morta

Important Links
📚 All About UNO & Announcements
📚 UNO FAQ
📚 Innovation Jelly Planning Spreadsheet

Rules in a Nutshell
- 100 pages (verify 25k words / 3hrs for Childrens, Poetry, Plays etc MPG)
- rereads OK after 6 months
- Spell out using title / author name / speaking character name / location
- Letters to find Z O T H F I S V E N K P
- Numbers in title or #series

Helpful Links
AR Bookfind - for checking page count of children's books
Uno Blue Ideas Shelf
Uno Green Ideas Shelf
Uno Red Ideas Shelf
Uno Yellow Ideas Shelf

message 6: by Deanna (last edited Feb 26, 2020 07:18PM) (new)

Deanna | 381 comments February Cards
(view spoiler)

March Cards
Total Cards for All Hands

Card Frequency
0 6
1 7
2 5
3 7
4 9
5 7
6 10
7 4
8 5
9 9
Skip 8
Reverse 9
Wild 3
Draw 2 5

COLORED CARDS
0 Red
0 Blue
2 Red
2 Red
3 Blue
4 Green
5 Green
9 Yellow
9 Blue
Also 2 Wild Draw 4 cards, so we need to duplicate 2 of these.

Full List of Cards by Hand
(view spoiler)

message 7: by Deanna (last edited Jan 23, 2020 10:43AM) (new)

Deanna | 381 comments Countdowns

Countdown to Start of UNO
Reminder: Only books started after the start of the challenge can be used for UNO>
Start times around the globe:
Sydney: 7pm, 1st February
Mumbai: 1.30pm, 1st February
Tokyo: 5pm, 1st February
London: 8am, 1st February
New York: 3am, 1st February
San Francisco: Midnight, 1st February

message 8: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 381 comments Reserved

message 9: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 381 comments Reserved

message 10: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1032 comments Reserve

message 11: by Annalisa (new)

message 12: by Annalisa (new)

message 13: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 381 comments Hello everyone! Welcome to Team Innovation Jelly and UNO 2020!

To help us get to know each other a little, please take a moment to introduce yourself and tell us where you are, if you've played UNO before, and what type of books you like reading. Also please post the name of your uno shelf (with a link if possible).

I'm Deanna, your captain for this year's UNO challenge, and I'm looking forward to enjoying this wonderful reading challenge with you! I live in Virginia and this is my second year of playing UNO. I read a fairly wide variety of genres; but my favorites would be mystery, thriller, fantasy, and science fiction.

Shelf: UNO-2020

I'll be updating the beginning posts with the challenge information. Please let us know if you have any questions.

message 14: by Annalisa (last edited Jan 22, 2020 06:26AM) (new)

Annalisa | 1032 comments Hi Team Innovation Jelly!

I'm excited to get to know everyone. I'm Annalisa and I’m in North Carolina. This is my fourth year playing UNO and my third year as a co-captain. Feel free to ask any questions you might have. I seem a few familiar names from last year.

I read a bit of everything, but I enjoy fantasy, science fiction, and historical romance. A few of my recent favorites are In Other Lands by Sarah Rees Brennan , Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston , and Red Sister (Book of the Ancestor, #1) by Mark Lawrence the whole series was very good.

Shelf: uno-2020

I'm looking forward to discovering new books and reading with everyone for the next few months.

message 15: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 47 comments Hi guys! I'm Sunny, and this is my first year playing UNO - but I couldn't be more excited. I have participated in a few challenges over in the NBRC group and I always found it fun and a good way to read more.

I'm from Slovenia, a small country in Europe - I operate on a GMT+1.

Nowadays, I mostly read (young adult) fantasy, but also sci-fi, thrillers and a good contemporary here and there. With a forever-growing TBR, I try to read as much possible, but being in my last year of high school it's making it difficult to read more that 6-8 a month.

Shelf: uno-2020

message 16: by Ann (new)

Ann Sicker | 114 comments I'm Ann and this is my first year at playing uno. I am very excited! My home is in upstate New York. I like to read all types of genres but mysteries are probably my favorite.

message 17: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1032 comments Welcome Sunny and Ann. If you have any questions please ask.

message 18: by Alejandra (new)

Alejandra | 142 comments Hi, my name is Alejandra, I’m from Colombia, which is NY time. My second year playing uno, I read mostly historical romance, paranormal and fantasy, but I try reading outside my comfort zone. I read a lot of psych reference books, but they rarely end up in the uno shelves.
Look forward to all the reading we’re going to be doing.

I’m on my cel phone, I’ll try to post a link to my shelf tonight

message 19: by Alejandra (new)

Alejandra | 142 comments Also... I’m planing to read Origin by Dan Brown, that works for blue 1

message 20: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 47 comments Will we have a planning spreadsheet or will the books everyone plans to read go through this topic only?

message 21: by Paula (new)

Paula Reyes Wagner (paurw) | 623 comments Alejandra wrote: "Hi, my name is Alejandra, I’m from Colombia, which is NY time. My second year playing uno, I read mostly historical romance, paranormal and fantasy, but I try reading outside my comfort zone. I rea..."
Paula from team Moonwalker Madeleines passing by.

Hola Alejandra! qué genial ver más sudamericanos participando en UNO! Que lo pases increíble =)
(Hello from a fellow southamerican)

Hello Annalisa too, hope you have a great time ^^

message 22: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 220 comments Hi team!

My name is Sharon and I live in Northeast Pennsylvania. I've definitely played UNO before, but I can't remember if this is my 3rd or 4th year. I love this challenge!

I ready a pretty broad range of books and usually go through spurts of binge reading different genres. Right now I'm in a little bit of a mystery/thriller stretch. I also do a mix of e-books, print books, and audio books (I have an hour commute to work). Right now, I'm finishing Hidden Bodies (I wanted to read it before I watched season 2 of YOU on Netflix) and I'm listening to Missing Pieces.

Looking forward to getting to know all of you as we play! Feel free to send me a friend request if you are comfortable doing that.

My UNO shelf

message 23: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1032 comments Talking about friend requests, thank you to everyone for accepting my requests to you. It will be really helpful when you are looking for books that work for reverse. We have 13 of them in February, so if you have any favorite books please suggest them. (I don’t want to make my TBR bigger, but it is great to see what everyone likes.)

message 24: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 381 comments Welcome Sunny, Ann, Sharon, and Alejandra!

message 25: by Romina (new)

Romina (romii) | 268 comments Hi everyone! Just wanted to check in, I’ll read everything ASAP!
I’m 25, from Uruguay. Love reading everything. I’m currently in Buenos Aires for some work and will be back home on Sunday so I’ll have time to get on my computer and read everything properly. Just wanted you all to know I’m here!!

message 26: by Vernice (new)

Vernice (fictionfantastic) | 22 comments Hey everyone! I'm Vernice from Cape Town, South Africa! I've never played UNO on Goodreads before, but I love the card game and I'm looking forward to having fun with you all!

I try and read diversely, however my favorite genre's are fantasy adventures and historical fiction. I'm not a huge fan of nonfiction or classics, though there are always exceptions to the rule 😁

My Shelf

message 27: by Morta (new)

Morta | 2 comments Hi guys! I'm Morta, it's my first time playing the UNO challenge and I'm really excited. I'm from Lithuania, Europe. I mostly read ya fantasy, contemporary and sometimes classics
my uno shelf

message 28: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 381 comments Welcome Romina, Vernice, and Morta!

message 29: by Deanna (last edited Jan 27, 2020 07:36AM) (new)

Deanna | 381 comments A few housekeeping items:

I love spreadsheets, so I've created a tracking sheet for our books.

Innovation Jelly Planning Spreadsheet

You can add books ahead of time and just fill in the date when you finish or add as you go. If you don't like spreadsheets or are somewhere that you don't have access to the spreadsheet, feel free to just post a completion in this thread. An example would be something like:

Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12) by Charlaine Harris
Date read: 2/2
Tasks:
2:character-Tara
3:author-Harris
6:character-Sookie
8:character-Eric
Skip:character-Pam
Reverse:read by Vernice
Color: yellow

In terms of planning, I usually try to get volunteers for the color cards and wild draw 4 cards ahead of time. For February, our color cards are:

1 Red - Vernice
1 Blue - Alejandra
3 Yellow - Deanna
4 Yellow - Vernice
4 Green - Annalisa
6 Green - Sunny
9 Blue - Romina
Also 3 Wild Draw 4 cards

I can take 3 Yellow with the Sookie book. (I've been saving this one for UNO, so I'll have to go look to see what other colors I have.) Wild Draw 4 for those new to UNO means for any three of our color cards, we need to read a second book to fill into the Wild Draw 4 slots. If anyone else has a color cover they want to read, let us know.

message 30: by Ann (new)

Ann Sicker | 114 comments So each team member has the goal to find a book that fits a many of the categories in the first hand? Sorry if it is a dumb question. First time playing!

message 31: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1032 comments Ann, you can read whatever you want. We do need to look for characters, titles, authors, series numbers that fit our cards. When you make a completion post or add your book to the spread sheet just note them so we know what cards your book works for.
We would like people to claim the color cards ahead of time since they are more difficult to fill. If you have any books with a green, yellow, red, or blue cover and know you will be reading them check and see if they fit any of our color cards for the month.

message 32: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1032 comments Oh forgot to mention it doesn’t have to be from just the first hand it can be from any hand.

message 33: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharon_alexandr) | 220 comments I'm kind of at the mercy of which books become available for me from the holds list at the library and which ARCs I have to read, so I usually read what I have and then see where it fits in to the cards. I'll probably just do completion posts here, if that's ok, and let you plug them in where you need them.

message 34: by Deanna (last edited Jan 23, 2020 01:34PM) (new)

Deanna | 381 comments Ann Sicker wrote: "So each team member has the goal to find a book that fits a many of the categories in the first hand? Sorry if it is a dumb question. First time playing!"

I listed all of the possibilities in the example completion post, so that we can shuffle books around as much as needed to complete the hands as the month goes on. If your book only works for 1 option, that's fine as well.

Sharon wrote: "I'm kind of at the mercy of which books become available for me from the holds list at the library and which ARCs I have to read, so I usually read what I have and then see where it fits in to the ..."

That's perfectly fine.

message 35: by Alejandra (new)

Alejandra | 142 comments here is my Uno Shelf

Uno2020

message 36: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 47 comments Do you think Now Entering Addamsville would work for the other yellow (because of colour)?

message 37: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1032 comments Sunny wrote: "Do you think Now Entering Addamsville would work for the other yellow (because of colour)?"

I don’t think there is quiet enough yellow on the cover. We are looking for about 50% yellow. It would work for a 4 card though.

message 38: by Anan (new)

Anan El alamy | 30 comments Hi guys, My name is Anan, I am Egyptian, our clock is GMT+2, I am a Computer Sciences student and I love to read from different genres!
Hope this challenge would motivate me to read more.

message 39: by Anan (new)

Anan El alamy | 30 comments It's my first time to join the challenge, thus I am a bit puzzled, I already forgot the meaning of the cards lol

message 40: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1032 comments We will help with figuring out what cards a book fits. I remember being pretty confused the first time I played, but it was still fun.

message 41: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 381 comments Welcome Anan!

message 42: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1032 comments I’m going to ask here because I’m in the fence and want a second opinion. Do you thing The Fifth Season (The Broken Earth, #1) by N.K. Jemisin has a green cover? It is dark so I’m having a hard time deciding if it would be 50% green.

message 43: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 381 comments The background looks like a mix of blue, green, and gray in the image to me. I'm not sure it would make 50%.

message 44: by Vernice (new)

Vernice (fictionfantastic) | 22 comments I can read The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1) by Graeme Simsion for the red color card as well as Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge for a wild draw 4
If San Francisco can work for number 4, I'll also read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan

message 45: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1032 comments Vernice wrote: "I can read The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1) by Graeme Simsion for the red color card as well as Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge for a wild draw 4
If San Francisco can work for number 4, I'll also read Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan."

I don't think Cruel Beauty is 50% red. You could read it for a reverse though since I've read it.

San Francisco would be a 6 not a 4. Again feel free to read it for a reverse as I read it.

message 46: by Annalisa (new)

Annalisa | 1032 comments Deanna wrote: "The background looks like a mix of blue, green, and gray in the image to me. I'm not sure it would make 50%."

Thanks, that is kind of what I thought but wanted to check. I was hoping to find a book on my shelves that works, but my colored covers don't work for this months cards.

I've been looking at ebooks and audiobooks from my library and it looks like I'm going to need to put a hold on a book. I don't want to commit to something until I know I can get the book. I'm pretty sure I'll be able to get at least two books that meet the color covers we have for the month but I don't know what they will be yet.

message 47: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 381 comments Annalisa wrote: "Vernice wrote: "I can read The Rosie Project (Don Tillman, #1) by Graeme Simsion for the red color card as well as Cruel Beauty by Rosamund Hodge for a wild draw 4
If San Francisco can work for number 4, I'll ..."

I put you down for 1 red with The Rosie Project. Cruel Beauty, unfortunately, doesn't have enough red to make the 50% requirement. San Francisco doesn't work for F, but one of the store customers is named Fedorov so we can use the book for 4 yellow.

message 48: by Deanna (new)

Deanna | 381 comments Oops. I forgot to refresh the page before posting and missed Annalisa's answer.

message 49: by Sunny (new)

Sunny (sunnyisreading) | 47 comments I added The Gilded Wolves (The Gilded Wolves, #1) by Roshani Chokshi for the Green 6 card and will also start adding my other pre-planned books for other cards as soon as possible.

message 50: by Romina (last edited Jan 26, 2020 06:07AM) (new)

Romina (romii) | 268 comments Hi guys!
I am back home now and ready to get started on this!
Could this one work for 9 blue? Its based in New York! Love Lettering by Kate Clayborn and could this work for 4 Green? Has a character named Francis Ask Again, Yes by Mary Beth Keane

I will check out the spreadsheet now and try to catch up with whats been going on.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9