The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Rocketeer Crème Pâtissière

Comments Showing 1-50 of 411 (411 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Jan 26, 2020 03:40PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Rocketeer Crème Pâtissière

Team Members:

Heather Carrasco - Captain
Beth - Co-captain
Stephanie
Mrunalini
Harshit Vyas
teresa
Sally Taylor
Dee
Cindy Madrid

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 5: by Heather (last edited Jan 23, 2020 05:16PM) (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments Here is our tracking sheet!

Team Tracking Sheet

I included an example book in the sheet for February. Here's how it's set up...
At the top are where you can see our special colored cards. I have the color and number indicated. If you already have a book planned that can fit that, then go ahead and enter in your name in the box next to it, and the name of the book in the same cell as the card number and color.

Below that I have the Wild Draw 4s. They are duplicates of colored cards, and we can only duplicated any given colored card 1x. This month we have 2 Wild Draw 4s in the same hand as a Draw 2 and a colored card, SO I'm using the Draw 2s to cover that.

Below that is where you can enter all the books you are reading or planning to read. For each one, you'll put your name, the name of the book (and if you can help me and Beth by hyperlinking to the book's GR page, that is great), the date read (when completed), and then how the book satisfies the requirements of a card. The more card types you can identify (with character names, places, etc) the better.

The hand number and whether it is placed is for Beth and my use, so you can ignore those columns.

If you have questions, reach out and let me or Beth know!

message 6: by Heather (last edited Jan 26, 2020 07:57AM) (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments Countdown....

UNO Start is at Saturday February 1, 2020 at 7pm AEDST (Australian Eastern Daylight Savings Time)
Countdown Clock
This translates to...
Mumbai: 1.30pm, 1st February
Tokyo: 5pm, 1st February
London: 8am, 1st February
New York: 3am, 1st February
San Francisco: Midnight, 1st February

message 7: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments .

message 8: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments .

message 9: by Beth (last edited Feb 01, 2020 03:49AM) (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Random tips:
- for anthologies, only the person(s) listed as editor can be counted for author!
- characters with dialogue count as characters, does not have to be main characters only

message 10: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments .

message 11: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments .

message 12: by Heather (last edited Jan 22, 2020 01:22PM) (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments It's almost time to UNO! Welcome to Team Rocketeer Crème Pâtissière! Now that our thread is open, please start checking in, introducing yourself and planning your books!

I'm going to posting some (hopefully) helpful info and links in the posts above. We have our Feb hands already (!), and I've set up a tracking sheet, which will be linked above in message 5. When the mini-challenges are announced, I'll add those as separate sheets in the tracking sheet.

Also, I sent everyone friend requests...please accept my invite so I can easily see your UNO shelf. And feel free to friend each other too...it makes it a bit easier to see what other people have read (for the Reverses).

message 13: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments I also added everyone! It does make it much easier on the captains. So excited to get to know everyone!

message 14: by Heather (last edited Jan 22, 2020 01:28PM) (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments And my quick intro...

Hi all, I'm Heather and I'm your team captain. I live in the Los Angeles area, and I work full time doing consumer insights in the entertainment industry. Living in LA means I have a looooong commute, so I listen to books and read my Kindle in my free time. I have 2 kids -- a 7 year old and a 4 year old, so I'll admit that I don't actually have a ton of free time anymore.

This is my 4th time playing UNO (3rd as a captain), and I love this game! It always gets me to up my reading, and I love that I can still read whatever I want while filling cards.

Can't wait to meet all of you and get started on our game!

message 15: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 178 comments Hi I left life keep me from reading as much as I like last year. Not anymore, I am happy when I am reading.

I think this is year 3 for UNO its my favorite challenge to do. As you can read almost anything and it will fit somewhere.

I am in Ohio so eastern time zone BUT my work day starts at 4 am so I keep a very strange schedule. I usually go to bed around 7.

message 16: by Sally (new)

Sally taylor (sallyjanet) | 51 comments Hi, I live in the same city as Teresa! I can't wait to play this game!

message 17: by Dee (new)

Dee (nandee) | 21 comments Hi all, I am an Aussie from South Australia and this is my first time doing the UNO challenge so it is going to be interesting. I have always loved reading and books but after studying for a few years I lost that love and passion and have only recently found it again.

I work full time and am about to become an empty nester which should give me even more time to read!

I have sent everyone a friend request also and I look forward to reading with you all 😃

message 18: by Harshit (new)

Harshit Vyas | 19 comments Hi everyone. You can refer to me as Vyas. I am from India. This is the first time I'll be playing UNO challenge.
I am applying for master's in Europe. My applications will be over soon and then I'll have plenty of time to read books.
Looking forward to reading with you all.

message 19: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments I’m the co-captain! I’m in Michigan so in EST. I work at an assisted living facility as a caregiver and activities coordinator. I don’t have much time to read at work but I find time outside of work as much as I can.

This is my fourth or fifth UNO. I’ve lost track by now. I’ve captain/co-captained three of them.

message 20: by Mrunalini (new)

Mrunalini | 18 comments Hello everyone, I am Mrunalini!

I live in Dubai. This is my first time participating in the UNO challenge. It's great to know you all and excited about the challenge!!

message 21: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 60 comments Hello everyone, in from Colorado. I work full time in a hospital pharmacy and currently taking 2 college classes. I tend to read a lot at home when I’m free, on my breaks and lunches and downtime at work. This is my first uno challenge and I’m excited to get started.

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments Welcome everyone! I think everyone except one person has checked in! Are you getting excited to UNO???

message 23: by Cindy (new)

Cindy | 60 comments I'm excited to uno! :)

I have started to add my book ideas for the month to the spreadsheet but fair warning, I have never really used google sheets and it took me a long time to figure out how to do they hyperlink lol so I apologize if I messed anything up or if I didn't do something correctly but I tried my best

message 24: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 178 comments do books have to start after feb 1

I have a big book to read and might just push it to next month so I can count it

for uno I just read knowing the book will fit anywhere probably

past captains have let us know about halfway what we need in particular

cant wait to see which way this group flows this time

message 25: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Biggest tips for UNO:
When completing a book, mark down every place that it fits. We may need to move books around to make them fit so the more info we have on them, the better!

message 26: by Harshit (new)

Harshit Vyas | 19 comments I'm super excited. This is my first reading challenge. I have few books and series lined up for UNO challenge. Currently I'm reading books less than 100 pages.

message 27: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments This is a great challenge to do as your first! I feel like it's more laid back than some other challenges I've done, and way easier (at least for me) to find stuff to read that will work for the challenge.

message 28: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments Teresa wrote: "do books have to start after feb 1

I have a big book to read and might just push it to next month so I can count it

for uno I just read knowing the book will fit anywhere probably

past captai..."

Yes! Books will only count if started on Feb 1 or later. Beth and I will do our best to give updates periodically about what we still need or what we need more of.

message 29: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 178 comments Heather wrote: "Teresa wrote: "do books have to start after feb 1

for uno I just read knowing the book will fit anywhere probabl..."

ty

message 30: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments My Kindle died as I was trying to finish up a book so I'd be free and clear for next Saturday! On the bright side, I'll have a brand new Kindle for UNO, I guess.

And, I finally got a book I've been waiting for from the library, but it's a beast, and it will just bog me down if I attempt to read it during UNO. So I guess I'm going to return it and go back on hold for it.

Hope your reading weekends are going better than mine!

message 31: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments And I added a countdown clock and some info on timezones in message 6 above...

message 32: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments Please welcome Stephanie !

replacing Chloe

message 33: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Welcome Stephanie!

message 34: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments Hi Stephanie! Welcome to the team. Please check out the rest of the thread and introduce yourself!

message 35: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments Counting down the days! Are you all trying to finish books before Feb starts? Holding off on starting anything?

I'm trying to finish up The Final Trade (The Dominion Trilogy, #2) by Joe Hart this week. I got my new Kindle in, so hoping I can find some time this week to knock out the 2nd half so I'm in the clear for the challenge.

message 36: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 178 comments working my way through a 500 pg book. it is an author i like so will finish but at pg 130 when is something exciting going to happen

in the meantime got caught on all my reviews updated challenges

message 37: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie | 33 comments hello everyone, I am from Indonesia. I am a slow reader but I will try my best in this game. Nice to meet you all :)

message 38: by Harshit (new)

Harshit Vyas | 19 comments Welcome Stephanie!

One thing I noticed is that 5,7 and 8 cards have very few number of books. I'll try to add one each.

Second thing: Will this book be alright for 9 Blue Card.

How to Build a Car: The Autobiography of the World’s Greatest Formula 1 Designer

message 39: by Harshit (new)

message 40: by Mrunalini (new)

Mrunalini | 18 comments Hello! I am planning to read Harry Potter series during feb and given that all the books in the series starts with Harry Potter and the so and so, how should we categorise them? For suppose, the book - Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, should we consider it starting with H or can we take the start letter as P? If all the books can be categorised as starting with only H, it might not be much help to the challenge. Can someone please clarify?

message 41: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Mrunalini wrote: "Hello! I am planning to read Harry Potter series during feb and given that all the books in the series starts with Harry Potter and the so and so, how should we categorise them? For suppose, the bo..."

It can be by title/character/setting/series/series.

So Harry Potter would work for
1- first in series
2- second in series
3- third in series/Harry character/title
4- forth in series
5- fifth in series
6- sixth in series
8- eighth in series
Skip- Harry Potter character
Reverse- I’d anyone on our team has read the book (I read the first one)

If there is a character that starts with a Z or N then the book would also count for 0 and 9

message 42: by Teresa (new)

Teresa (teresainohio) | 178 comments Mrunalini wrote: "Hello! I am planning to read Harry Potter series during feb and given that all the books in the series starts with Harry Potter and the so and so, how should we categorise them? For suppose, the bo..."

i have read all these so works for reverse

and remember series numbers charcter names and locations count too

message 43: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments I’m trying to finish 2 more books before the challenge starts. Tonight I’m making my own spreadsheet of books I own that will fit for the different cards

message 44: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments We have 6 Reverse cards this month. If there is a book you plan on reading and it seems like something someone else here might have read, feel free to post and ask if anyone has read it. Or if you can compare books from their profiles, that’s another way to do it

message 45: by Mrunalini (new)

Mrunalini | 18 comments Thanks Beth and Teresa. I shall check the sheet and see if they fit in any of the less nominated cards.

message 46: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments Already found a book that will fit for 9 Blue The Mall by Megan McCafferty . The colored cards can be some of the hardest to find because it has to be a 50% cover of that specific color AND fit with the number it's given.

We have 4 Wild Draw 4's this month so that means we will have to read another book that fits for the colored cards we have.

This month we have:
9 Blue (blue cover & #9 in series or N in title/character/series/setting)
4 Green (green cover & #4 in series or F in title/char/series/setting)
1 Blue (blue cover & #1 in series or O in title/char/series/setting)
5 Red (red cover & #5 in series or I in title/char/series/setting)
3 Yellow (yellow cover & #3 in series or H in title/char/series/setting)
9 Red (red cover & #9 in series or N in title/char/series/setting)
0 Yellow (yellow cover & standalone or O in title/char/series/setting)

Since these can be hard to find, let us know if you come across one and maybe more than one of us can read it so we can knock out the Wild Draw 4 as well

message 47: by Beth (new)

Beth  (jasonverlander) | 722 comments 0 Yellow:
Because Internet Understanding the New Rules of Language by Gretchen McCulloch Almost True Confessions Closet Sleuth Spills All (Closet Sleuth #2) by Jane O'Connor

1 Blue:
Lily's Just Fine (Galloway Girls, #1) by Gill Stewart Full Share (Shore House, #1) by Eliza Freed Flower by Elizabeth Craft

4 Green:
Don't Tempt Me (Guthrie Brothers #1) by Lori Foster Falling into Place by Amy Zhang

9 Blue:
Full Share (Shore House, #1) by Eliza Freed

9 Red:

3 Yellow:
Have You Found Her by Janice Erlbaum The Bride Test (The Kiss Quotient, #2) by Helen Hoang Meet Cute by Helena Hunting

5 Red:

message 48: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments Luckily at most we need to read 3 Wild Draw 4s. One of them is in a hand with a Draw 2 and a colored card (Blue 1), so I'm thinking we can use the Draw 2 for the colored and the Wild Draw 4.

There are 3 Wild Draw 4s in one hand along with a Draw 2. I'll ask in the captain's group if it's okay to use a Draw 2 to cover two of them or not. I don't know if that would violate the rule that each Wild Draw 4 is duplicating a different colored card.

message 49: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments I'm going to read If We Were a Movie by Kelly Oram for 1 Blue and the corresponding Wild Draw 4. So if you can, focus on the other colored cards...

message 50: by Heather (new)

Heather Carrasco | 612 comments Now that I think of it though...could any of those yellows that you found work for 0 and 3? That could work within the Wild Draw 4 rules and the Draw 2 rules.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9