The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Futurity Parfait

Comments Showing 1-50 of 435 (435 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 13, 2020 03:39PM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
Team Futurity Parfait

Team Members:

Suzanne - Captain
Trinia - Co-captain
Lynne Norris
Lizzie
Ashlee
Allison
Jamie Kearney
Elizabeth Tarulis
Stacey

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 5: by Suzanne (last edited Jan 21, 2020 08:30PM) (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments Useful Links

Rules

Some of the most important rules:
All books used in this challenge must be started no sooner than Feb 1, 2020
Books must be more than 100 pages in length
We have to verify word count for childrens books, graphic novels, manga, plays, and poetry

Current Mini Challenge

Entering books
You can enter your books in one of two ways (you don't need to do both)

Working Spreadsheet
or
just in this thread.
Either way, try to list all of the cards the book fits.

Links to some possible color covers

Karen's Color Cover Post

message 6: by Suzanne (last edited Jan 24, 2020 06:11PM) (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments February Color Covers

Red
Red 4 Dying to Get Published (Jennifer Marsh Mysteries, #1) by Judy Fitzwater Ashlee
Red 0 Dark Matter by Blake Crouch Lynne
Red 9 Hellbent (Orphan X, #3) by Gregg Hurwitz Suzanne

Green
none! Of course because I have several green books I need...

Yellow
Yellow 9 Uprooted by Naomi Novik Lynne
Yellow 2 The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis Trinia
Yellow 9 Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan Lizzie

Blue
Blue 6 The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman Elizabeth

Wild Draw 4 (can match any of the above cards, but only once)
Wild Draw 4 Card 1 Dark Matter by Blake Crouch Allison
Wild Draw 4 Card 2 The Honeymooner (Paradise Bay #1) by Melanie Summers - Jamie

message 7: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments Reserved

message 8: by Suzanne (last edited Jan 21, 2020 01:22PM) (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments Hi team! My name is (obviously) Suzanne. I'm so glad to get a chance to play Uno with all of you! And what a wonderful surprise to see that I get to captain with Trinia - she has become such a great Goodreads friend!

Uno was my first Goodreads challenge ever, and I'm now addicted. I love getting to meet new people and learn about new books.

A little about myself - I teach college math - teaching college students is really really great - grading...not so much. I love dogs. I love reading. I cannot use my right hand for another month following surgery (coincidentally, Trinia is a hand therapist).

We'll go over team stuff later - but it's nice because Uno is exciting yet low-key (if that makes sense). Other than our color cards, most books fit in tons of places, so we can pretty much read things we like - at least til the mini-challenges. But let's always try to read things we enjoy :)

I'm excited to get to know all of you!

message 9: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments Reserved

message 10: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments Reserved

message 11: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments Hi Team! I'm co-captain Trinia, hopefully Suzanne's right hand lady ;D lol! We are super excited for this round and can't wait to meet you all! Although I do recognize a few of you from other games so not everyone is new.

I live in Texas with my family. I have 2 seniors graduating this year and a junior, so soon to be an empty nester! wow, time flies.
As Suzanne said I'm a Hand Therapist/ Occupational Therapist. Soon to be looking to return to the work force (got to pay for college somehow!) . My youngest is considering a Math career, so there's another connection with my brave Captain ;)

I love all genres, mostly thrillers , mystery and horror. But find I am a romantic at heart . I am constantly listening to Audiobooks and when I'm not I'm on my Kindle. This is my 3rd or 4th time playing UNO.

Can't wait to get this party started! Looking forward to having fun playing UNO!

message 12: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments Yay and our thread is open so we can meet everyone !

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tarulis | 170 comments Hello! I just checked and saw that teams were announced, so I thought I would come introduce myself.

I currently live in Massachusetts with my husband, dog, and two tuxedo cats. I am an archaeologist finishing my M.A. degree, and I just got word that I got into a PhD program so I'll probably be moving soon!

My favorite genres are sci-fi and fantasy, but I will also read mystery, thrillers, YA, and some horror/historical fiction. I read in all formats, including audiobooks. I think this is my third year doing uno.

message 14: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments Hi Elizabeth! Congratulations 🎉 on starting your PhD, where will you be moving?

message 15: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth Tarulis | 170 comments Trinia wrote: "Hi Elizabeth! Congratulations 🎉 on starting your PhD, where will you be moving?"

I don't know yet. I'm waiting to hear back about funding, and I have two schools that haven't made decisions yet. I got an offer from UT Knoxville and loved my visit there, so I'd be thrilled to end up there! Hopefully I'll get more information soon.

message 16: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments Wow that's exciting. Congratulations!

message 17: by Ashlee (last edited Jan 22, 2020 02:47PM) (new)

Ashlee | 261 comments Hi All! I am excited to see that teams are open. I have played Uno for the past 4 or 5 years. It is definitely one of my favorites!

I live in Pennsylvania with my fiance and poodle. I am a middle school teacher that teaches special education reading and science. As Suzanne said, I love to teach, but grading is not to be loved. :) In addition, I work for an online company that gives me the opportunity to teach English to students in China.

Since starting this school year, I have not had much time for reading. I am looking forward to Uno helping me out of this reading slump.

message 18: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments Hi Ashlee! Welcome to the team.
China would be cool, I went on a school trip to Beijing with my boys last year and we got to visit a school. Those kids were so smart and attentive. That would be a fantastic experience to teach over there!

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Kearney Hi! I’m Jamie! This is my first UNO challenge. I’m so excited! I love reading all kinds of genres. I live in NJ with my husband, 2 year old son, and dog. I’m currently couple weeks pregnant with my baby girl (IVF so I already know the gender). 😁 I teach special education math to grades 2-6.

message 20: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments Hi Ashlee and Jamie! It's so good to have you both on the team! Ashlee, one of my friends in the tutoring center does the online China teaching too. Wow those early mornings you ladies have to teach amaze me. But she loves it - says the kids are adorable.

Jamie, congratulations on the pregnancy - that is exciting, and I hope you feel well (or at least not too sick) this first trimester!

I was so glad when I saw our team that we have a mix of people who have played and not played! I think that makes it even more fun.

message 21: by Allison (new)

Allison | 252 comments Hello! I'm Allison, and I'm so excited to meet all of you!
This is my fourth time playing Uno, though I took a break from it for a couple of years - definitely looking forward to playing!

I live in Manitoba, and am a Business Analyst - I really enjoy working on projects to make other people's jobs easier (and sometimes more complicated too :) )

message 22: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments Hello Allison! I've been hearing stories about a friend's work with a growing business - I can sure see how a business analyst is necessary! Welcome back to Uno!

message 23: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 70 comments Hi everyone! My name is Lynne. This is my first time playing Uno, and I am so excited about it.
I am 34 and live in Texas with my fiancé at my grandmother’s house (we take care of her). We have two wonderful and somewhat psychotic cats, and we are expecting a baby girl in May.
I am a nanny, but I am looking to try something new after the baby arrives, but I do not know what (yet).
My very favorite genres are sci-fi and fantasy, but I read all sorts of things.

message 24: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments Wow! Welcome all or should I say y’all!
Lots of babies coming, exciting news 😁
What a great start to a challenge, I’m guessing we will have a fantastic game together 🥳

message 25: by Jhmingos (new)

Jhmingos | 128 comments Greetings! I'm Lizzie and I'm from sunny Southern California. I work in research, helping to find treatments in the field of dementia. This is my first year playing UNO and will be my second team reading challenge ever. I'm super excited! Even created shelfs for the UNO book colors. I enjoy all kinds of mystery/thrillers and the classics but I'll pick a book whatever the mood takes me.

message 26: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments Wow so many interesting lives and jobs. I guess when you get people who love to read together, that happens! I was thinking on my drive home from work just now that I feel pretty strongly already that we have a team I'll enjoy spending time with!

And thanks everyone for checking in!!

message 27: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments Lizzie my mother died of vascular dementia last May - it makes me happy that people are actively working on treatments for it.

message 28: by Jhmingos (last edited Jan 23, 2020 01:05PM) (new)

Jhmingos | 128 comments Suzanne wrote: "Lizzie my mother died of vascular dementia last May - it makes me happy that people are actively working on treatments for it."

I'm sorry to hear about your mom. Dementia is so complicated and coming up with the treatments is so frustrating. But everyone in this field are so passionate about what they do. It's affected a lot of people in some form.

message 29: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments description Reading Strategy

This is a first draft, so it probably won't contain everything and I'd love to update with everyone's ideas.

As far as "regular" books, I pretty strongly feel like we should just read what we want, say whatever cards it fits for, and then Trinia and I can place them in our Uno hands. I hope that's ok with everyone. I've just seen a few occasions where people claim specific cards, feelings get hurt, etc. and really, specific cards are (mostly) silly because I don't think any of us cares if our book gets used for a two or a reverse.

The exception is color cards, which do need to be more planned out, just so we get them all. I'll post a color card thing right after this one. If you can find one or two of those to "claim", that'd be great! I'm going to wait to claim after everyone has had a chance to look. Also, if you claim one and then can't read it - just let us know - that's what teams are for!

Reporting books can be done in this thread or in the working spreadsheet (linked at the top of this thread). You don't need to report both places - just choose whichever works best for you. I will often put books I want to read in the working spreadsheet - if you too would like to use it for planning - feel free! Be sure to put books on your uno shelf, and to mark books as "read" when you finish them.

One thing I am sure you all realize, but I've heard people worry about this in the past - is that we all read different amounts. The teams were built with that in mind. We will use all the books, although sometimes it happens that all the cards are full in the last week - but we'll deal with that "problem" if we come to it. But really, whether you read tons of books or just a few - we need you and you're a valuable member. Gah - I'm not very articulate, but I hope you understand what I mean.

message 30: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments description Color Cards - February

Note: Last year my team had like 90% yellow cards during the 3 months. That...was difficult. However we won, so I think yellow cards may be lucky.

Here are our February Color Cards:

Red
Red 4
Red 0
Red 9

Green

Yellow
Yellow 9
Yellow 2
Yellow 9

Blue
Blue 6

Wild Draw 4 Card 1
Wild Draw 4 Card 2

Speak up if you have a book you've found that will fit any of the above! No pressure if you don't have color covers, but I must admit it is sometimes fun to search for books :)

message 31: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 70 comments I have several I can do for the color cards, but I will go ahead and claim the three that I was already planning on reading soon anyway:

For yellow 9: Uprooted by Naomi Novik

For blue 6: The Sparrow (The Sparrow, #1) by Mary Doria Russell

For red 0: Dark Matter by Blake Crouch

I also have another yellow 9, a yellow 2, another blue 6, a red 9, and a red 4 if we need! Just didn’t want to claim too many :)

message 32: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments That's great Lynne - thank you! Lets see what everyone else has, and then you can use those other books either this month or next! Great color searching!

I'm going to get verification in the captains group about The Sparrow - the cover is definitely half blue and half other stuff, but they may decide its not enough because of the medal. Either way, you need to read it - such a great and different science fiction book!

message 33: by Allison (new)

Allison | 252 comments I also plan on reading Dark Matter by Blake Crouch
in February - we could use that for a Wild Draw 4 :)

I'll also have Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh ,
which I know is yellow, but nothing jumps out right away to link it to 9 or 2. Will only know if it can be used for a colour card once I start reading it.

message 34: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments I stuck the question in the captains group and have to get to class, but I'll let you know what they say later. I figure it's good to err on the side of caution! And I swear, by the end of uno two things happen to me:

1. I decide I don't know what color ANYTHING is
2. Everything I read - I see a name and think "N" - that's a 9 card, etc.

Has that happened to any of the other returning players or am I a psycho?

and thanks Allison!

I'll put the books on a "master list" when I get back from class

message 35: by Jhmingos (last edited Jan 23, 2020 05:51PM) (new)

Jhmingos | 128 comments I was going to read

Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan
Yellow 9: Is set in a place starting with N (New York)

Found this on my TBR and I can read this one too
Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston
Red 0: author first name or surname starts with Z (Zora) or
Red 4: Is set in a place starting with F (Florida)

message 36: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 70 comments I had the same concern about The Sparrow. We’ll see!

And Allison - Hyperbole and a Half is so good! I wish I could read it for the first time again.

message 37: by Elizabeth (last edited Jan 23, 2020 06:16PM) (new)

Elizabeth Tarulis | 170 comments We previously used TinEye Color Labs to determine cover colors, and that worked really well!

I will be reading The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman which works for Blue 6.

message 38: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 261 comments Yes, Suzanne, the online teaching is very fun. I try not to teach before 5:30 AM. The kids are so cute and dedicated, though, that it's hard to take a break from it.

Jamie, congratulations! I'm happy to see some fellow teachers in the group.

Just from reading everyone's introductions, I think we are going to make a great team!

message 39: by Ashlee (new)

Ashlee | 261 comments I can claim Red 4 (or Draw 4) with Dying to Get Published (Jennifer Marsh Mysteries, #1) by Judy Fitzwater

message 40: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments Hey all! Sorry I’ve been driving for the past 3 hours 🤪 bringing my youngest (16) to Texas A&M (Whoop), for an Engineering conference. I’m back at the hotel and finally have some book looking time 😜
Thanks Suzanne for getting the party started!
I’ll look thru my To Read List for colors. Also , if anyone is looking for a color cover, I have shelves with the color as the title. You’re welcome to look through mine.

message 41: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments Lizzie I don’t think your Red book, Their Eyes We’re Watching is red enough, Tin eye has it only at 38%. So you can start with the yellow one, it looks plenty yellow.

message 42: by Allison (new)

Allison | 252 comments Elizabeth wrote: "We previously used TinEye Color Labs to determine cover colors, and that worked really well!

I will be reading The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman which works for Blue 6."

Let me know what you think of that book! I read it last year and found it really played with my emotions.

message 43: by Allison (new)

Allison | 252 comments And Allison - Hyperbole and a Half is so good! I wish I could read it for the first time again."

I'm looking forward to it! And I definitely have the same feeling about a couple other books. :)

message 44: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments I found The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis
For Yellow 2 , if no one else has one this month.

Allison I loved The Light Between Oceans, definitely emotional ping pong!

message 45: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 70 comments So I went to grab my upcoming reads out of the stacks in my closet, and it turns out that my copy of The Sparrow is a different edition than the one I linked to earlier. Similar enough that I thought I had chosen the right one. Anyway, I think the one that I actually own has more blue. What do y’all think?
The Sparrow (The Sparrow, #1) by Mary Doria Russell

message 46: by Trinia (new)

Trinia | 732 comments Sorry Lynne, I’m not sure that is enough Blue. But please let others comment.. I hate to be the Debbie Downer (Tineye barely gave that 3% blue)

message 47: by Lynne (new)

Lynne | 70 comments Oh dear. Well now I don’t trust my eyes. Is it calling what I see as a shade of blue a different color then? In person it looks like blue on the top and dark blue-gray on the bottom.

message 48: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments I know EXACTLY how that is with not knowing what colors are anymore - Uno does this every time! Tineye is calling it Violet, and saying 51% which is enough. So that begs the question what is violet? Google says violet is NOT purple, which I didn't know until tonight.

That said, we are told to use:
1) Team consensus
2) Captains color check thread
3) common sense

as our first three options. Tineye can be a tool but we don't have to abide by it (because sometimes it is weird)!

Also images are not always spot on - and actually looking at the physical book is way more accurate.

Anyway, do you want me to ask about that one in the captains thread? And any team opinions are also ok!

message 49: by Suzanne (last edited Jan 24, 2020 06:07PM) (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments Updated February Color Cards:

Red
Red 4 Dying to Get Published (Jennifer Marsh Mysteries, #1) by Judy Fitzwater Ashlee
Red 0 Dark Matter by Blake Crouch Lynne
Red 9 Hellbent (Orphan X, #3) by Gregg Hurwitz Suzanne

Green

Yellow
Yellow 9 Uprooted by Naomi Novik Lynne
Yellow 2 The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis Trinia
Yellow 9 Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore (Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore, #1) by Robin Sloan Lizzie

Blue
Blue 6 The Light Between Oceans by M.L. Stedman Elizabeth

Wild Draw 4 Card 1 Dark Matter by Blake Crouch Allison
Wild Draw 4 Card 2 The Honeymooner (Paradise Bay #1) by Melanie Summers - Jamie

Possibilities:
Hyperbole and a Half Unfortunate Situations, Flawed Coping Mechanisms, Mayhem, and Other Things That Happened by Allie Brosh Allison (if it ends up matching something)

message 50: by Suzanne (new)

Suzanne | 1953 comments Lynne, if we don't use The Sparrow for a color card, it'd also be super useful as a 7 (lots of V names). V is just a more difficult letter than the others (I feel)! I just asked my daughter "What color is this book?" She said "blue or purple....blue...no purple...no blue". You found one of those magical mind/bending book covers!

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9