The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Cosmic Affogato

Comments Showing 1-50 of 627 (627 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1382 comments
Team Cosmic Affogato

Team Members:

Jenny Stephenson - Captain
Harmony - Co-captain
Tammie - Co-captain
Keri
Carrie
Zoë
Michael McMahan
Laura L Fucci

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 6: by Jenny (last edited Jan 22, 2020 07:04AM) (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments February Cards
0-(1)
1-(7)
2-(9)
3-(11)
4-(3)
5-(6)
6-(7)
7-(8)
8-(7)
9-(7)
Reverse-(9)
Skip-(6)
Wild-(3)
Wild Draw 4-(2)
Draw 2-(5)
9Blue-(1)
4Yellow-(1)
6Blue-(1)
2Green-(1)
3Yellow-(1)
2Yellow-(1)
9Red-(1)

message 7: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Reserved

message 8: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 791 comments Res

message 9: by Tammie (new)

Tammie | 791 comments Res

message 10: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Hi all!
This is my third time playing Uno, and my second time being a captain.
I am so looking forward to this challenge, and to seeing what the mini-challenges will be!

I am Jenny, I live in Phoenix, AZ, with two lovely kitties. I own/run a picture framing shop, and have done for the last twenty five years or so. I am obviously a book addict, as well as a rabid Green Bay Packers and Wisconsin Badgers fan, a bit of a foodie, a single malt whiskey snob, a political junkie (although I won't bring politics into this group), sci-fi geek, and Project Runway fan. Among other things.

I hope you all have fun with this game. Feel free to ask any questions that you have- none are too silly.
If you haven’t played before, it won’t take you long to learn how. If you have played before, welcome back!

I would love for this to be a chatty team, as I think that make it all much more fun. If you are not terribly chatty, that’s fine, but please check in in this thread at least once a week so we know you are still active.

We have set up a tracking spreadsheet, linked above, to enter your books on. If you are uncomfortable using the spreadsheet, we can set up a books read thread, or you can post your books here. Just let us know.

Feel free to go to the tracking spreadsheet and start claiming cards!

message 11: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Tracking spreadsheet is here as well...

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/...

message 12: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 326 comments Hi all! I’m Carrie from PA. I’ve played UNO once before and had a great time doing so!

I have 1 daughter getting ready to graduate college in May, 3 kitties (all rescued strays) and a pooch named Bentley.

My favorite genres to read are mystery, thriller, literary fiction, and Nordic noir.

Super excited for UNO! Confession: I had to look up an Affogato to see what it was!!! Laughed when I found out because my husband was military and we were stationed in Northern Italy for 3 years and I still had never heard of it!!!

message 13: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi,

I'm Laura from Henderson, NV (near Vegas). This is my first time playing, so feel free to correct and education me on this.

I am recently retired from a career of leading technology teams. I am enjoying reading, crocheting, travel, and cooking with all this new-found time on my hands. I have two kids - a 24-yr-old daughter in Atlanta and a 17-yr-old son in his last year of high school. We also have three cats, two dogs, a snake and a bearded dragon. It gets a bit crowded here!

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Thanks Jenny!
Hey everyone, my name is Harmony. I'm generally new to goodreads and this is my first year in the uno challenge. I'm really looking forward to it.
I work in IT and am still a student working towards my B.S. in Computer Science. I love reading, most any genre, whenever I get a chance to pick up my book or kindle. Lately I've been listening to Lavar Burton's podcast to get my short story fix between my drives to work. I look forward to talking to everyone and seeing what we're all reading. :)

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura I added books to the spreadsheet. Let me know if this is not what you are looking for. I don't know what 'SS' refers to. Thanks!

message 16: by Tammie (last edited Jan 22, 2020 03:29PM) (new)

Tammie | 791 comments Happy UNO everyone! I love our team name...is that a drink or a dessert...maybe both!? Carrie I'll have to look it up as well :)

I've played UNO several times and look forward to the hunt...love the mini challenges especially. My husband and I are headed to Costa Rica for vaca 1st week in Feb so not sure about communication that week...but I'll read a lot for sure!

I love to chat if I'm around...I'm a real estate agent so I never know when I'll be busy with work...keeps life interesting. Also an empty nester...2 grand dogs so I'm on GRs quite often throughout the day especially.

I read almost every genre of romance...particularly love suspense/thriller/pnr.

Having fun, the hunt, and working together to get it done is what I love about these challenges. Even if you don't read as much as others...everyone is contributing to our end result!

I'll be helping Jenny with captain stuff when needed...let's get started...now what do I want to start with...hmmmm?

message 17: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Yay! the team looks great so far!!!!
I am having a crazy busy day at work, so I will check back here when
I get home in a couple of hours.

Laura, looks like you played with the spreadsheet correctly. The On SS column is for the captains to check when we enter stuff on the official sheet.

Back later!

message 18: by Tammie (last edited Jan 22, 2020 04:33PM) (new)

Tammie | 791 comments For those who haven’t played before...it’s a good idea to get the colors claimed up front.

My opinion...the most difficult are #7 and #9.

Don’t over-claim. Be sure whatever you take you for sure can finish in time.

Any other bits of advice out there??

message 19: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Definitely look at each others' shelves. We have nine reverse cards this month! I have a lot of books on my read shelves, but there are a couple shelves that are a good start from my lists- "Books my team might like" (from an old challenge), "weird and wonderful fiction", and "can't live without".

I look forward to perusing your shelves looking for treasure too!

message 20: by Zoë (last edited Jan 22, 2020 06:16PM) (new)

Zoë (zeeohee) | 319 comments Hey everyone! So excited to be playing again this year! This is my second time doing the UNO challenge and I had a fun time with it last year. I did some other challenges too, but this was, by far, my favorite. :)

I live in Boulder, CO and am a Psychotherapist and Acupuncturist. I love to read (duh) and listen to a ton of audiobooks and today I quite literally was walking around with 6 books in my bag. Lol. Sigh. A book lovers gotta do what a book lovers gotta do. I also love cats - my dude is named Christopher and he’s crawling all over my right this second. We also have two horses, two donkeys, two dogs, and another cat in the house. Wait no. No horses or donkeys IN the house. Just on the property. Heh. I am also a big plant lover and collect them.
I can definitely check in regularly and captains - if I ever haven’t that week please feel free to PM me and say wtf, because sometimes life happens!

Also, the team tracking sheet for this year looks different than the one last year - last year it had all the descriptions of what each thing was and it made it super easy to fill it in. Is there anyway that we can add that to it at the top to make it easier for us to know what we need? I am often just doing all this on my phone and want to make sure I can update on the go, if possible. :)

Anyway, I said I could do 2-3 books a week though I typically read 4-5 a week - I wanted to save some of my time for nonfiction and random other ones that may not apply to UNO but I definitely will have weeks where those things will overlap too! We’ve got this!

Looking forward to our time together! Happy reading!

message 21: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Hi Zoe!
I was going to ask how the horses fared in your house, but then, I am a smart ass.

Welcome to team Cosmic coffee and ice cream!!!!!!

I can certainly add something to the tracking sheet to make things easier. Do you want the description of the cards (4=F, 4th in series, 4 or four in title eg.) at the top of the page, or with each card?

message 22: by Michael (new)

Michael McMahan (mcmahamg) | 55 comments Hello team! My name is Michael and this is my first time doing UNO or any challenge on Goodreads.

I live in Poteau, OK and am a high school math teacher. Started reading quite a bit after setting a reading goal a couple of years ago and haven’t stopped since. Usually get through 2-3 a week depending on length (or 1 when I was tackling The Count of Monte Cristo last summer).

Haven’t messed with the shelves on here too much but I’d be happy to start if that’ll help the team hit goals better and faster. If I ever slip up somewhere please don’t be afraid to correct me. Really looking forward to this and diving into some books I wouldn’t have thought about otherwise.

message 23: by Zoë (new)

Zoë (zeeohee) | 319 comments Jenny wrote: "Hi Zoe!
I was going to ask how the horses fared in your house, but then, I am a smart ass.

Welcome to team Cosmic coffee and ice cream!!!!!!

I can certainly add something to the tracking sheet ..."

lol. Horses in the house. Could you imagine?!

Anyway, thank you so much, yes! That would be so helpful how you mentioned just stating what a wild four is and what 9 corresponds to, etc. I’m sitting here trying to go back and forth from like three different things on my phone right now to fill in a few things and I’m like aaahhh. Hahah.

Also, I don’t want to take over any hands so I am only doing one in each hand for now, but that being said, I can definitely read more than that. So as we see what everyone is comfortable with and see what we need, just let me know and I’ll be keeping an eye on it too! :)

message 24: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Hi Michael!
Teachers are cool. Just saying. Of course, I grew up in a house with a middle school teacher and a university professor, so I am a bit biased.

You do not need to set up a special shelf for Uno, we can look at your read shelf to check books. Up to you.

Welcome to the world of GR challenges. Uno is the gateway drug normally, so get ready to get addicted.

message 25: by Keri (new)

Keri | 340 comments Hi everyone! I’m Keri and this is my third time doing UNO! It was my first challenge leading me right into my GR challenge addiction. And UNO is still my favorite that I look forward to each year!

I live in Ohio with my boyfriend and our dog Luna. I work in pharmacy and leadership, along with summers in a concert venue. I love reading many genres of books but my faves are probably YA, fantasy and mystery/thriller.

message 26: by Keri (new)

Keri | 340 comments One tip I felt worked super well in both my previous teams was claiming the harder cards like colors, reverse, etc.
But then for other books posting them when finished with all cards listed that they would work for. My previous captains had us do this so it was easier for them to move things around and fit them where needed then post later what we still needed.

I’ve never been in a team with a tracking spreadsheet tho so maybe still posting what the books would work for, but then as the captains update we could look to see what’s open.

I’m open to trying a new way tho, I just think if we all claim random ones it will be really hard on the captains to move them all around to cover our remaining cards if you guys don’t know ALL the cards each book will work for.

Just some ideas/thoughts!

message 27: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 1657 comments Hi Jenny! mmmmm.... affogato.... one of my favourite puddings, though in the puddings-with-drink-poured-on-them line, a coupe colonel is decadently delicious! Lemon sorbet with vodka is hard to beat.

message 28: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Cat wrote: "Hi Jenny! mmmmm.... affogato.... one of my favourite puddings, though in the puddings-with-drink-poured-on-them line, a coupe colonel is decadently delicious! Lemon sorbet with vodka is hard to beat."

Hello right back!
My lovely sister made coffee liqueur and cherry brandy for Christmas gifts this year. So, I have been pouring them over ice cream. Mmmmmm. And, I made chocolate ice cream last week, and added the cherry brandy to it. Wow. I have to go in early to work today...perhaps a stop at the donut shop on the way!?!?!

message 29: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Welcome Keri!
Love to have another Uno veteran on the team!!!
Yes, there is a space on the spreadsheet to list other cards and reasons that your books will work for, but feel free to post here if you prefer.

Summers at a concert venue? Do you get a chance to see really good bands, or are you too busy to enjoy it? Who have you seen?

message 30: by Laura (new)

Laura Hi,

I formatted a bit so the title row is frozen and always visible. I also added the description for 'color' cards. I hope that is okay. Let me know if you want me to undo my changes.

Do I need to wait until 2/1 to start reading my books?

Thanks!

message 31: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Perfect!!!!!
Every challenge, I learn a little bit more about how to use Google docs. I will be an expert someday...

Yes, we have to wait until the start of Uno to read the books for it.
But, you can start one on February first and finish it in March, so that is nice.

message 32: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments So, is everyone going through their library and bookshelves and Kindle and pulling out books? Grabbing a yellow spine only to see the that the front of the book is orange? (I just did that).

I love the hunt.
Now is the time to get back in the habit of writing down character names as I read. You never know when an Ollie or Eleanor or Victor will show up!

If you haven't explored them yet, there are links to color covers that people have used for Uno before in message 5 above.

Also, do you guys want to set up a recommendation space, maybe a new tab on the tracking spreadsheet? Or do you just want to chat here when you feel the need to share a book?

message 33: by Tammie (last edited Jan 24, 2020 08:16AM) (new)

Tammie | 791 comments OK Jenny...I added a couple of books.

I notice too we have 9 REV...that's quite a few.
If everyone could look through the books you've already chosen...if someone from our team has read that book...we need to consider moving it to REV or at least have it as a 2nd choice...please note it on the SS

For those new to GR...the easiest way to see if a teammate has read a book--works if you've 'friended' the team. Check the threads under the main page of the book...there is an area where your friends have rated or commented on the book. Of course this assumes everyone has taken the time to rate their books...but it still saves a ton of time...

message 34: by Zoë (new)

Zoë (zeeohee) | 319 comments Good point Tammie! I’m reading Brave New World and I assume someone here has probably read that. I will look.

Jenny - I always google the books when I’m done and looonfor plot summaries so I can find character names and place names. Hahah. Your way is probably easier though. :)

I planned out for the first few hands and then will wait until we get closer to the later hands to fill those in. Has everyone checked in yet? I feel like there’s always someone who drops out every year. :)

message 35: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Everyone has checked in, and everyone seems happy to be here!

Zoe, I have tried the Google the books too, but for less popular titles, there won't be character lists, or plot summaries. So, I just try to write stuff down, and not try to rely on memory. The weirdest is to be listening to a book and having no idea how to spell a name. Oh well. I have asked Audible to add character lists as a pdf when books are downloaded, but alas, it has yet to happen.

message 36: by Zoë (new)

Zoë (zeeohee) | 319 comments Right? Audiobooks make it so hard! I’ve definitely been mistaken thinking a character starts with I but it’s E and things like that. Oh well. :)

message 37: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Happy Saturday all!
I was just looking through your "read" shelves, and I must say, this group has some great taste in books.
I was looking for ones to use for reverse cards, and I found a bunch that I already own, but have yet to read. There are enough for me to grab all of the reverse cards, but I won't be so selfish. So, which of these titles should I start with?
The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker How Long 'til Black Future Month? by N.K. Jemisin Us Against You (Beartown, #2) by Fredrik Backman The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow Erotic Stories for Punjabi Widows by Balli Kaur Jaswal Year One (Chronicles of The One, #1) by Nora Roberts Scythe (Arc of a Scythe, #1) by Neal Shusterman Red Rising (Red Rising Saga, #1) by Pierce Brown The Water Dancer by Ta-Nehisi Coates Watching You by Lisa Jewell Elevation by Stephen King The Cabin at the End of the World by Paul Tremblay

message 38: by Keri (new)

Keri | 340 comments Red Rising became my favorite book once I read it!
And I really really loved Scythe too, those are two of my top books I’d recommend them to any of you!!

message 39: by Keri (new)

Keri | 340 comments Oh I also loved Us Against You, it follow right along after Beartown and those characters really go to me. Very character driven set of books. I was thinking about those long after I finished!

message 40: by Tammie (last edited Jan 25, 2020 06:58AM) (new)

Tammie | 791 comments I’m planning to read ‘us against you’...I read ‘bear town’ last month and couldn’t put it down...I think this is #2

I loved ‘Year One’...the final in that series just came out ...finishing that hopefully this month too.

message 41: by Carrie (last edited Jan 25, 2020 08:39AM) (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 326 comments So as I mentioned I had no idea what affogato was until this challenge. Well, today I am placing an order for coffee for my hubby online and I am browsing their site. They have gifts and clothing as well as coffee. They had 1 candle. Guess? Affogato!!! LOL.

I put the link (not as an endorsement or advertisement..more as a have you ever ran across an adffogato scented candle?)!

https://groundsandhoundscoffee.com/co...

message 42: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 326 comments Jenny wrote: "Happy Saturday all!
I was just looking through your "read" shelves, and I must say, this group has some great taste in books.
I was looking for ones to use for reverse cards, and I found a bunch th..."

So many good choices...many of which are on my TBR. I'm a huge King fan so I recommend The Institute (without reading it yet myself:)). If you read The Water King, I would just advise that it's not something you can fly through in my opinion. It takes some time and thought. I also liked Watching You.

message 43: by Jenny (last edited Jan 25, 2020 08:59AM) (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Thanks guys.
I read Beartown a couple of months ago, so I am looking forward to Us Against Them too.
The Institute is really good. I love King a lot. I am afraid of clowns, for real, and I even read "It". Only book I have read where I screamed aloud while reading it.

I will wait to see if anyone else wants to grab any of the reverse cards, and then I will go with all of your recommendations!

Looking for colors today...

message 44: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments Carrie wrote: "So as I mentioned I had no idea what affogato was until this challenge. Well, today I am placing an order for coffee for my hubby online and I am browsing their site. They have gifts and clothing a..."

I have a friend who has a soy candle business. I will ask her if she has made that scent. It might be nice.

message 45: by Laura (new)

Laura I recommend My Life in France by Julia Child. It is delightful and interesting. I've read it so it would count as a reverse,

I love travel and food books, by the way.

Laura

message 46: by Carrie (new)

Carrie (carriele1216) | 326 comments Jenny wrote: "Carrie wrote: "So as I mentioned I had no idea what affogato was until this challenge. Well, today I am placing an order for coffee for my hubby online and I am browsing their site. They have gifts..."

Coffee and ice cream sounds like a heavenly mash up for a great kitchen scent!!!

message 47: by Keri (new)

Keri | 340 comments I’m for sure reading Clockwork Princess Clockwork Princess (The Infernal Devices, #3) by Cassandra Clare in February and it can be a reverse because it looks like Zoe and Jenny both read it.

I get to meet Cassandra Clare in March with my aunt and cousin and we’re all SOOOO excited!!!

message 48: by Keri (new)

Keri | 340 comments I’m looking for color cards today also

message 49: by Jenny (new)

Jenny | 1641 comments The Clockwork books are so fun! It's very cool that you get to meet the author.

message 50: by Keri (new)

Keri | 340 comments Jenny wrote: "Welcome Keri!
Love to have another Uno veteran on the team!!!
Yes, there is a space on the spreadsheet to list other cards and reasons that your books will work for, but feel free to post here if y..."

It’s a really great summer job, I love it!
We have to face back to the bands so we can watch the audience and make sure no one is getting in fights, breaking rules, passing out or getting sick/injured, etc. But we can turn around sometimes to watch and it’s also fun singing along and dancing along with the crowds. I’ve become a fan of so many artists since working there. This summer will be my fourth season.
I’ve worked catering and backstage a few times too and met some artists.
Three Days Grace is a rock band that’s one of my favorites—it’s probably my favorite story about working there also. I worked catering and recognized their bass guitarist and said hi and good luck, that they were one of my favorite bands and I had a small tattoo of one of their songs that really helped me in a rough time. He gave me a hug and seemed so genuinely happy to hear it and meet me. Fast forward about an hour later, HE BROUGHT THE WHOLE BAND in to meet me. They all gave me hugs and talked to me, along with giving me a shirt from the merch booth. It was the coolest thing that’s ever happened to me.
And other stories like that, it’s just great to find out the artists that are truly good people. I’ve seen Luke Bryan do a gender reveal for a fan during his VIP event, Green Day give away a guitar to a twelve year old girl who could play their whole song, Macklemore invite fans on stage to watch his whole set, Sam Hunt run through the crowd high giving everyone, Matt Nathanson carry a kid around the crowd with him, Brad Paisley’s dad come and personally thank us all for protecting his son during his couple songs performed in the GA lawn area, and more. And I basically get paid to go to concerts so I love that lol.
I’ve worked shows for some classic bands I never thought I’d hear live like ZZ Top, Rod Stewart, Janet Jackson, but also rising pop stars and rock bands, along with pretty much every country artist because every year they have at least ten country shows. I’m a fan of almost every genre so it’s a really cool job in my opinion. I have been star struck when I met Matchbox Twenty who I’m a giant fan of.
Sorry...that was super long an fun-book related haha

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 12 13