The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Jumpsuit Biscuit

Comments Showing 1-50 of 745 (745 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
Team Jumpsuit Biscuit

Team Members:

Melinda - Captain
Danielle - Co-captain
Dane Brooks
Sassafrass
Kelly Reynolds
Chelsea B
Vivi
Stephanie
Avamuc
Ashley

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 6: by Melindam (last edited Mar 14, 2020 01:11AM) (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Links to MARCH MINI

Here is the March MINI Challenge info.

Here is the COUNTDOWN to March MINI.

message 7: by Melindam (last edited Jan 23, 2020 04:46AM) (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments What to include in your completion post to the thread:

Book
Author
Page count
Start date
Read date
and whether you could add it to the Tracking Sheet or you want Danielle and me to do it.

I case you are not comfortable with excel or simply cannot access it, please list your info about which cards your books fit and how!

Please also make sure, the book is also added to your Read/Uno-shelves.

message 8: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments R

message 9: by Melindam (new)

message 10: by Melindam (new)

message 11: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Mar 01, 2020 07:25AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments

MARCH COLOUR CARDS
3 of 11 finished

CLAIMED

Yellow 1 - Ashley
Yellow 1 - Stephanie
Blue 2 - Dane
Blue 3 - Stephanie
Blue 4 - Melinda
Green 9 - Melinda
WD4 - Red 7 - Danielle
WD4 - Green 9 - Ashley

COMPLETED
Red 7 - Melinda
Green 5 - Danielle
Blue 4 - Sass

message 13: by Melindam (last edited Jan 22, 2020 12:30AM) (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Hello Fellow Cookies/Biscuits and welcome to our Team! :)

I am very excited to do UNO with you all this year.

description

message 14: by Melindam (last edited Jan 22, 2020 03:10AM) (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments description

I already know some of you from UNO and other challenges (NBRC’s tower teams or wheel-a-ton), but we have never been on the same team before.
In order to break the ice and to bide the time until 1st February, please leave an introductory message.
- Where are U from and what are you doing when U are not reading? :)
- Newcomer to UNO or seasoned player?
- Are you a “random reader” or do you like to plan ahead?
- Favourite Genres? Authors?
- If you had 2 or 3 books to recommend that you read in 2019, what would they be?

PLEASE ALSO POST THE LINKs to your UNO-shelves!

message 15: by Melindam (last edited Jan 22, 2020 01:16AM) (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Starting the introductions:
I am Melinda, from Hungary (GMT+1 timezone). I have been a GR member since 2014 and this will be my 4th UNO game, 2nd time as captain.
I grew up in a library, so to speak, with my mum being a Librarian, so being among books is my safe haven.
I work for an EU institution in Budapest and live in a small town outside the big city with my husband and 6-year-old son. Commuting time is precious, because I CAN READ or listen to audiobooks.

I am a random reader outside challenges, but I like planning ahead when it comes to challenges and I love excel tables, even though I'm an average user of those at best. :)

My favourite genres are fantasy, classics, golden-age detective stories & middle grade/children's books, romances, but occasionally I like to pick up some books outside my comfort zone, though I tend to avoid horror & dark thrillers.
Of course I have many favourite authors, but Jane Austen & Terry Pratchett are on top of that list.

My book recommendations from books read in 2019

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells & the Murderbot series in audiobook format.

Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4) by Ilona Andrews & Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston

message 16: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Just a quick hello at the moment. I’ll post more in an hour or so :)

message 17: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Jan 22, 2020 04:28AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Hiya team :)

I’m Danielle and I’m from Wales.

This is my 5th time playing UNO and it’s a fun challenge. I’m more of a random reader, if I plan my reading, I end up not wanting to read those books at that time. So rather go with what I feel like at the moment. I do like being organised with spreadsheets.

My favourite genres are Romance (mostly Contemporary, LGBTQIA, Paranormal), Fantasy and Sci-Fi. I do like some Mystery/Suspense too.

Favourite books from 2019 -
The Accidentals by Sarina Bowen
(audio), Whisper by Tal Bauer, Storm Cursed (Mercy Thompson, #11) by Patricia Briggs

message 18: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Here’s my shelf link.

message 19: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Melindam wrote: "My book recommendations from books read in 2019

All Systems Red (The Murderbot Diaries, #1) by Martha Wells & the Murderbot series in audiobook format.

Sapphire Flames (Hidden Legacy, #4) by Ilona Andrews & Red, White & Royal Blue by Casey McQuiston ..."

Great books!

message 20: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Thanks Danielle. I have heard about Sarina Bowen's books, but I have yet to read one. Same goes for the Mercy Thompson series. They have been on my radar for some time. :)

message 21: by Cat (new)

Cat (cat_uk) | 1541 comments Hi Melinda, Danielle & Sass! *big wave* popped over from Celestial Baklava to check out the edible clothing :)
The burning question: are Jumpsuit Biscuits good for dunking in coffee whilst reading? My gold standard biscuit for excellent dunkability is a ginger nut

message 22: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments A very valid question, Cat. We'll consider this long and hard & get back to you. ;)

message 23: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 121 comments Hey guys! I’m Ashley 🙋🏼‍♀️ I’m from New Brunswick, Canada. I have been a book lover for as long as I can remember but fell out of it due to the gruelling hours of nursing school. I have since graduated and fell back into the love of reading ❤️ This is my very first team challenge ever and am excited, but also anxious to start. Due to being new with the UNO challenge, I assure you I will have many questions overtime 😅.
I am a random reader, and seek out recommendations on a Facebook group I am a part of for book lovers :) When I am not reading, I am working or spending time with my little one and my fiancée, and of course my dog and cat who I love dearly ❤️❤️
I am addicted to thrillers! However, I also enjoy YA, historical fiction and romance from time to time.
The books I would recommend which I have recently read are:
Before I Let You Go by Kelly Rimmer and;
Verity by Colleen Hover
I can’t wait to get started guys and to learn the ropes of this UNO challenge!

message 24: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 121 comments https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...
Sorry this is my UNO shelf!

message 25: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Hello Ashley and welcome.

Please feel free to come to me and Danielle with your questions. We are here to support you and to make sure this is fun for everyone! :)

message 26: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Hi Cat. Give me tea over coffee and we’ll see.

message 27: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Welcome Ashley.

Definitely ask any questions you have.

message 28: by Stephie (last edited Jan 22, 2020 10:47AM) (new)

Stephie | 196 comments Hello my name is Stephanie and I am from the United States-New York. This will be my second year playing UNO. I love to plan ahead even though sometimes that doesn't always go to plan! I mostly read YA fantasy. I love stories with magic. I also read historical fiction and non-fiction at random.

Sadie by Courtney Summers This audiobook was amazing!
A Heart in a Body in the World by Deb Caletti
Lovely War by Julie Berry
Educated by Tara Westover
Sorcery of Thorns by Margaret Rogerson
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer This whole series was great!

My shelf link https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 29: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Jan 22, 2020 10:50AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Welcome Stephanie.

I’ve heard good things about Sadie, but haven’t read yet. I don’t read much YA, but I did enjoy the Cinder series.

message 30: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Welcome to the Team Stephanie! I always find that a mixture of planning ahead & random reading go very well together. :)

I find that YA books are very much a hit or miss for me, but I totally loved the Cinder books and of course there are other YA books I really enjoyed.

message 31: by Dane (new)

Dane Brooks | 40 comments Hello everyone! excited to be a part of the team very cool to have people from all over!

I am from Washington State, US about 30 Minutes east of Seattle, in is a small town in the foothills of the Cascades. Being out here in the mountains my favorite past times are hiking, kayaking, biking and backpacking. Also love playing any sports but regularly play racquetball, tennis and volleyball. During these long dark rainy winters are when I get the most reading done. Audiobooks are the only way I get through my 1hr commute each way.

This will be my first time doing the UNO reading challenge, like Ashley I'll most likely have some questions!

Since I get almost all my books from the library I am kind of forced to be a random reader based on what I get on loan from the library. My friend and I share a digital library of books that I have only read about a quarter of so I have that to choose from as well. Our library is huge though so many books are readily available I went through and on my to read list 25 books were available right away so I will have plenty to choose from!

I have read and enjoy almost every genre of book out there, haven't really delved into the romance category but if it was good writing I am sure I would enjoy it! I would say I most enjoy SCI FI, Fantasy, and Crime Fiction. I have enjoyed Stephen King, Scott Orson Scott Card, and Scott Lynch over the last couple years reading the dark tower series, the Enders Saga, and most recently the Gentleman Bastard series! Would recommend them all!

My Uno Shelf

Melinda I have the Murderbot series on my to read list but the library doesn't have it! Am going to request it though.

Question 1 what will be the process for signing up to fulfill a card?

message 32: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (louloo) | 233 comments Hello Team!

This is my third year playing Uno. I’m a general devourer of all books chick lit with the odd historical fiction thrown in for good measure. I love a series.

I live in the UK in rural gorgeousness with my family which includes our 4 chickens.

When not reading I’m a crocheter and haven’t mastered how to do the two together without being plugged into audio - which I tend to avoid as it makes me antisocial at home!

Looking forward to getting started!

Shelf link below:

https://www.goodreads.com/review/list...

message 33: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Welcome, Dane & Kelly. :)

Dane, there will be no "process" of signing up for cards. But I'm going to check with you all in the thread, whether you are willing to read for special cards (colour cards, reverse). Of course, as the challenge goes on, Danielle and I will be monitoring the cards coveted and what's still needed to complete the hands.

At the beginning of the thread, I already listed what cards we have to read for in Februaty, but you can also see it when you open the Team Spreadsheet.

Only books started after the countdown of the 1 Febr will count. Once you finish a book, you will post it to the thread as well as fill in the details on our book tracking sheet (Please check if you can access it). Danielle and I will assign the books to particular cards or shuffle them around, if necessary.

Please let me know if sth is not clear. :)

message 34: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments I hope you can get the Murderbot series from your Library, Dane. They are not only fun, but quick reads as well and qualify for Uno as they are over 100 pages.

message 35: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments I might re-read them myself. I see that you are reading a Locke Lamorra book. How do you find it? I only read book 1 in the series.

message 36: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Kelly, I admire everyone with the special skills like knowing how to crochet. I'm totally hopeless at these. :)
Where do U live in the UK?

message 37: by Ashley (new)

Ashley | 121 comments So to clarify, team members will pick books according to the cards we have and just let the team know what we would like to read that month?

message 38: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (louloo) | 233 comments It’s been a lifelong skill. My Nan taught me to crochet over 30 years ago! I live in Norfolk in East Anglia.

message 39: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Welcome Dane and Kelly.

Kelly, I’m sure we were on same team for last years uno.

message 40: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Ashley, you can absolutely read what you like as long as it fits at least 1 card. :)
In case we need sth more focused (e.g. a book that fits card 7) we will let you know.

message 41: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments 1 book will usually fit several cards. If you open the book tracking thread ( the link is in my 1st comment at the beginning), you will see, how all can be listed.

message 42: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments List all options the book works for, so Melinda and I can move books into the best place.

message 43: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Jan 22, 2020 03:06PM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Stephanie - I see you have books in the planning sheet. Just to let you know, for a book to work for title, it needs to be the first letter of the first word. The only exception is if a book starts with an article, (A, An, The) then you can you use or ignore the article.

Iron Kissed works I.
The Hunger Games works for T or H.

message 44: by Stephie (new)

Stephie | 196 comments ✿Danielle✿ wrote: "Stephanie - I see you have books in the planning sheet. Just to let you know, for a book to work for title, it needs to be the first letter of the first word. The only exception is if a book starts..."

Opps I knew that haha... silly brain today!

message 45: by Sassafrass (new)

Sassafrass (sass-a-frass) | 447 comments HI all! I'm Sass and I live on the east cost of the USA right outside of Philadelphia. I'm an avid romance reader because of the love the escape. I will read just about anything though if it keeps my interest.

I have extremely busy weekdays for the first half of the week then I'm usually more available Thurs-Sun.

I'm not sure how many UNO's I've done. I know I have 2 but it may be 3. I just love being able to read what I want and making it work for the cards.

I look forward to playing with you all. Let's have some fun!!

Oh and here is my shelf

message 46: by Melindam (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Hello Sass & welcome to the Team! :)

message 47: by Melindam (last edited Jan 23, 2020 02:10AM) (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments description

Good morning / afternoon / evening Team! :)

Some of you already started adding books to the Tracking Sheet and that's great!
No hurry or pressure, though, for the Random Readers. Main thing is that you add your book there with the details, once you finished reading. PLUS, you report it to this thread.

However, I'm still asking you to do some possible planning ahead, concerning the the "difficult cards" with the highest points.

These are the colour + Wild Draw 4 & reverse cards.

This month, we have 7 reverse cards (read a book a team member has already read). Ashley already added 2 Harry Potters that I read, so we need 5 more.

We have 7 colour cards and 3 WD4s (duplicating one of the colour cards)
We have the following colour cards, 1 of each + we need to duplicate 3 of these.
4 Blue
7 Blue
4 Green
4 Yellow
7 Yellow
5 Red
7 Red

So, in case you happen to have books that fit and you are willing to read, just give us a shout in the thread.

Thanks a lot! :)

message 48: by Melindam (last edited Jan 23, 2020 04:48AM) (new)

Melindam | 1510 comments Once you finished a book, please report it to the thread as follows:

Book
Author
Page count
Start date
Read date
and whether you could add it to the Tracking Sheet or want Danielle and me to do it.

In the latter case, please also list the info about which cards your books fit and how!

Please also make sure, it's also added to your Read/Uno-shelves.

Thanks. :)

message 49: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (last edited Jan 23, 2020 03:15AM) (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Adding to Melinda’s completion post format above. If you don’t get along with spreadsheets and can’t add books there, that’s fine. Just add the cards and reasons it works for into the completion post. That way Melinda or myself can add the book for you.

message 50: by ✿~Danielle~✿ (new)

✿~Danielle~✿ (dmh1) | 1068 comments Welcome Sass.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 14 15