The Perks Of Being A Book Addict discussion

ARCHIVE Team Challenge: UNO 2020 > Team Satellite Croissant

Comments Showing 1-50 of 577 (577 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

message 1: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (last edited Feb 20, 2020 02:14AM) (new)

UNO Pixie | 1216 comments
Team Satellite Croissant

Team Members:

Nikk the Sapphired Book Dragon - Captain
Laura - Co-captain
Tefek
Carlie
Vanessa M
Lacey (aka Lazy Days)
Tina
Mary C
Marisa
Sophia

Kylie - Co-captain
Rebecca

Team Spreadsheet

message 2: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 3: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 4: by UNO Pixie, Our UNO Helper (new)

message 5: by Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (last edited Jan 31, 2020 05:26AM) (new)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 296 comments

UNO Rules
- 100 pages (verify 25k words / 3hrs for Childrens, Poetry, Plays etc MPG)
- rereads OK after 6 months
- Spell out using title / author name / speaking character name / location
- Letters to find Z O T H F I S V E N K P
- Numbers in title or #series

COUNTDOWN TO START
Main cities, FYI:
Mumbai: 1.30pm, 1st February
Tokyo: 5pm, 1st February
London: 8am, 1st February
New York: 3am, 1st February
San Francisco: Midnight, 1st February

COLOUR COVERS
Need help? Check out these links for possibilities:
Red covers
Blue covers
Green covers
Yellow covers

Note: Some books on this list may not seem like the colour cover. This is because GR will show the default version. There may be a specific version that has been shelved that is the actual colour. The version you read is what you should shelve, and is what counts, for UNO.
If you want to add your own suggestions, please do! Create shelves "uno-red", "uno-blue", "uno-green" and "uno-yellow" and add appropriate books to them :)

message 6: by Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (last edited Feb 14, 2020 01:19AM) (new)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 296 comments Important Links

Tracking Spreadsheet

message 7: by Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (last edited Feb 17, 2020 03:11AM) (new)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 296 comments Cards still needed for February ( as at17 feb 2020):

Card-letter-Left
1 - O - 3
2 - T - 3
3 - H - 4
4- F - 2
5 - I - 4
6 - S - 6
7 - V - 5
9 - N - 2
Skip - P/K - 3
Reverse - 1
Wild - 4
7 Green - V - 1 - Claimed by Lacey
2 Green - T - 1 - Claimed by Lacey

Total cards left: 39

message 11: by Laura (last edited Feb 15, 2020 06:57AM) (new)

Laura | 935 comments February Color Cards

1 Yellow - Laura: The Unhoneymooners
7 Yellow - Laura: Death on a Platter
7 Green - Lazy Days: Insurgent
7 Green - Nikk: The Hand on the Wall
2 Green - Lazy Days: The Fever
6 Blue - Nikk: Wild Hunger
5 Blue - Mary: A Great Reckoning
And 4 Wild Draw 4s, which means we need to duplicate 4 of our color cards. Each color card can only be duplicated once.
Wild Draw 4 - 6 Blue - Nikk: The Alchemist and an Amaretto
Wild Draw 4 - 5 Blue - Mary: Cruel Winter
Wild Draw 4 - 7 Yellow - Carlie: A Beastly Kind of Earl
Wild Draw 4 - 7 Green - Mary: Postmark Bayou Chene

I’ll update this post as we volunteer for this month’s color cards, so give a shout out as to which color cards you can cover!

message 12: by Laura (last edited Feb 15, 2020 06:54AM) (new)

Laura | 935 comments February Reverse Cards, we need 7

1. Laura: Daisy Jones & The Six (Mary has read)
2. Tina: A Curse So Dark and Lonely (Nikk has read)
3. Mary: Secrets of the Lost Summer (Tina has read)
4. Laura: The Woman in Cabin 10 (Nikk has read)
5. Tina: The Toll (Nikk has read)
6. Tefek: Brave New World (Laura has read)
7. Mary: Nefertiti's Heart (Tina has read)

message 13: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2020 01:17PM) (new)

Laura | 935 comments Something helpful, I hope!

message 14: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments I’m not going to lie, this spot could contain something random!

message 15: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments This spot might just be for fun!

message 16: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments Hello fellow Croissants! I’m Laura (obviously) and I’ll be one of your co-captains! This is my fifth year of Uno and my second year as a co- captain.

A little about me: I’m from the New Jersey, by the beach. I’m married, I’m an elementary school teacher, have 2 dogs, 2 cats, and love to read. I’m looking forward to meeting all of you!

message 17: by Lazy (new)

Lazy Days | 23 comments Hey Laura and hey team, Uno virgin here. I'm Lacey and from New Zealand. It's summer here and hot as hell, perfect for relaxing in the sun and reading lots of books! I work in management and live with my hubby, two kids, dog, cat and bunny. ...Off to see which colour cards I can do.

message 18: by Lazy (new)

Lazy Days | 23 comments I can do either:
Insurgent (Divergent, #2) by Veronica Roth for Green 7 (author starts with a V)
or
The Fever by Megan Abbott for Green 2 (character name Tom Nash) dont know if he is a main but he is listed in the character section on GR

Whichever (or both) that fits with everyone else.

message 19: by Lazy (new)

Lazy Days | 23 comments Are they green enough?

message 20: by Kylie (last edited Jan 23, 2020 02:05AM) (new)

Kylie (mspurrl) Hi everyone...I’m Kylie and I’m sharing co-captain duties with Laura. I’m from the east coast of Australia. I love reading classic/contemporary, mystery/thriller and dystopian fiction. I work in admin for a general practice, I have two cats and apart from reading I also enjoy sewing and pottering about in my garden. This is my first UNO challenge😊

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 296 comments HI all and welcome to the Satellite Croissants. This is my fourth or fifth year playing uno and my first being Captain though i have been co-captain the last couple of years.
A little about me - I live in Sydney with my partner and nearly 8 year old daughter and I also have two cats. I mostly read paranormal, be it Paranormal romnce, paranormal cozy but I am also partial to fantasy, urban fantasy, YA , romance or murder mysteries depending on my mood and the reading challenge I am participating in.

I am very much a spreadsheet girl so I am just finishing up setting up a tracking spreadsheet for books and letters and such and should have that ready shortly and will send you all the link.

If you are not a fan of spreadsheets, feel free to set up a tracking post each month for the books you have read, are currently reading or are planning to read and the uno numbers they go with

I am very much a pantser when it comes to reading so oly ever have a general reading plan for the month but I dod think it is a good strategy to try and plan out our colour reads early in advance where possible to avoid scrambling at the end of the month to finish them

Thank you to Laura for pulling the colour cards we need for February out so we can plan them :-)

Now if you haven't already, may I ask you all to introduce yourselves and the type of genres you like to read and also please tell me one book you are looking forward to reading in February.

For me it is Freaky Fangs (A Mystic Caravan Mystery, #9) by Amanda M. Lee by Amanda M. Lee which si due out Feb 4.

I am really looking forward to playing this year and hope we can all have a lot of fun :-)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 296 comments Lazy wrote: "Are they green enough?"
Yes both are more than 50% green :-)

message 23: by Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (last edited Jan 23, 2020 03:33AM) (new)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 296 comments I can also do a 7 green with The Hand on the Wall (Truly Devious, #3) by Maureen Johnson . It just means I have to wait till February to read it ;-(

I can also probably do Blue 6 with Wild Hunger (Heirs of Chicagoland, #1) by Chloe Neill

If you have a book that works for anyone of these even ones already spoken for above , let us know as we have 4 draw 4s so we will need to double up on 4 of them during the hand

message 24: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 299 comments I have 2 books that work for the 7 Green card. 1 for 6 Blue. 2 for 5 Blue. I also have books for 0 and 3. Most likely books for others. I haven't had time to look for more.

message 25: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 299 comments I copied the spreadsheet for my own use. Just so I can remember what books I found for what task.

message 26: by Mary C (last edited Jan 23, 2020 05:37AM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 299 comments I have not played Uno before but I am a seasoned reading challenge team player/captain. Still not 100% on the rules but I'll figure it out.

message 27: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments Mary C wrote: "I have not played Uno before but I am a seasoned reading challenge team player/captain. Still not 100% on the rules but I'll figure it out."

I think once you start to go through it, it will come easily, especially because you h ave group challenge experience.

P.S. Loving the pic of your dog!!!

message 28: by Carlie (new)

Carlie (carlie892) | 145 comments Hey team!!! This is my second year playing Uno and I’m so excited to get started. A little about me: I am from the Philly suburbs but spend most of my weekends at the Jersey shore. I’m a dog mom to one pup (so far) and I work in marketing.

I’ll read pretty much any type of fiction, but my favorites are historical, romance, and fantasy.

message 29: by Tina ❣ (new)

Tina ❣ (nutrinut) | 215 comments Hey all!

First of all, I love the team name! Croissants are a favourite of mine.
I’m Tina and I’m from Melbourne, Australia. This is my second time playing UNO and have come a little more prepared for it. I’m currently studying a Masters of Public Health and work as a medical receptionist. I’ve got one rabbit who is cheeky and one dog who is playful but also sleeps a lot

I think I can do most colours. I’ll have a look later today and let you all know

message 30: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 299 comments So are we going to be claiming books on a spreadsheet or something?

message 31: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments Carlie wrote: "Hey team!!! This is my second year playing Uno and I’m so excited to get started. A little about me: I am from the Philly suburbs but spend most of my weekends at the Jersey shore. I’m a dog mom to..."

Carlie - oh my gosh! What town do you go to when you come to the beach? I'm going to guess down south by Wildwood?

message 32: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments Mary C wrote: "So are we going to be claiming books on a spreadsheet or something?"

Mary - I think the only books we need to claim at first are for the color cards.

For most other cards (and for most of the month), I think we can just list all the cards our book fits on the tracking spreadsheet when Nikk links it up. Maybe towards the end of the month we claim certain cards so we know whatever we've got left is covered.

message 33: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments Lazy wrote: "Are they green enough?"

Yes, Lazy Days, those specific editions are green enough. They look more than 50% green, and I ran them through Tin Eye just to be sure. When you shelve them, just be sure to shelve those exact editions, please.

message 34: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments Kylie wrote: "The Enchanted April by Elizabeth von Arnim
I can do 5 Blue, The Enchanted April is set in Italy."

Kylie, Tin Eye is saying that it is not at least 50% blue, only about 38%. I guess all those other colors of the flowers take up a large percentage. Sorry. :(

message 35: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2020 01:14PM) (new)

Laura | 935 comments Team - I just realized we also have 7 Reverse Cards this month!! That seems a lot to me. So please be on the lookout if you're reading a book another team member has read (not just during Uno but has ever read).

I can cover one with Daisy Jones & The Six because Mary has read it.

message 36: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 299 comments I'll peruse some team member read shelves as soon as I can.

I posted what color cards I could cover. We can duplicate some color cards because of the Wild 4 cards right?

I mainly looked to see what I had for the harder categories so far. Which seemed like the color ones due to having to match the number. I didn't have time today to do any book snooping.

message 37: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments Mary - Yes, we need to duplicate 4 of the color covers.

I have to do some shelf snooping too.

message 38: by Laura (last edited Jan 23, 2020 02:29PM) (new)

Laura | 935 comments Oh my gosh - I skipped right over your color books post, Mary, when I was updating. I updated again and added all the ones you said you could cover. That's a lot of books, so if you decide you don't want to read all those, just let us know and someone else can cover them. Also, can you please give us the links to those color books when you get a chance?

I think for the challenge being a week away, we are in good shape! Hopefully our last 2 team members check in soon!

And hello, Tina! Welcome!

message 39: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 299 comments I average 20-25 books a month. So I'm good. I am fortunate in that I can listen to audio books a lot at work. Especially now as it's our slow season. Also hubby is a big read/audio book listener. We'll just sit next to each other reading.

message 40: by Mary C (last edited Jan 23, 2020 05:15PM) (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 299 comments OK I hit compare books with Laura and found 7 of her read books that are on my wish list. I'll probably check out some other team members shelves. Then I'll check my libraries. I'm very lucky. My library system is connected to 7 other counties and Hoopla. I also have a couple of audible credits and I want to pause that.

ETA: found 15 potentials just looking at Laura and Tina's books. So I'm going to stop for now and start my library hunt.

I did check out a book that Tina read. But I'm going to hold off on claiming any more spots until other have a chance. It also works for 1, 4, 6, 9,

message 41: by Carlie (new)

Carlie (carlie892) | 145 comments Laura wrote: "Carlie wrote: "Hey team!!! This is my second year playing Uno and I’m so excited to get started. A little about me: I am from the Philly suburbs but spend most of my weekends at the Jersey shore. I..."

Close!! I'm usually in Cape May. Which beach are you near?

message 42: by Laura (new)

Laura | 935 comments Oh, Cape May is so beautiful! I’m in Manasquan, so quite a bit more north.

message 43: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 299 comments Do we have to read the hands in order? I didn’t think about that when saying what I could read. Or is it just that we have to finish the hands in order but can be reading for all of the. At the sane time and just hold off finishing later ones. If that makes sense.

message 44: by Lazy (new)

Lazy Days | 23 comments Whoa thats a lot of books Mary, super impressive. Cute how you and hubby hang together listening to audio though, do you listen to the same book at the same time?

What kind of bunny have you got Tina? I have a mini lop albino who is 7 months old and my daughter and I are obsessed with their tiny cute lil mouthies.

I love that we are all dog lovers

message 45: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 299 comments We don’t usually sit and listen to audio books together. We sit and read on our kindles next to each other. But we frequently will be working on the same book or series at the sane time.

message 46: by Lazy (new)

Lazy Days | 23 comments lol I had imagined in my head you would have one set of iphone headphones and each take an ear. Still cool that you like the same books. My husband reads mainly fantasy, whereas I read a bit of everything, its not often we are reading the same book at the same time though.

message 47: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (mspurrl) Laura wrote: "February Reverse Cards, we need 7

1. Laura: Daisy Jones & The Six (Mary has read)
2. Kylie: Pride and Prejudice (Tina has read)
7."

message 48: by Kylie (new)

Kylie (mspurrl) I can do Wild Draw 4 - 6 Blue The Public Image by Muriel Spark
Author surname starts with ‘S’ and the cover is 55% blue.

message 49: by Mary C (new)

Mary C (marymaryalwayscontrary) | 299 comments For the Reverse: I can read:
Secrets of the Lost Summer (Swift River Valley, #1) by Carla Neggers from Tina's read shelf

I can probably cover another if needed. I don't like to pick too many ahead of time in case my reading mood changes. (I tend to binge on a genre and then get burnt out with it)

Nikki the Sapphired Book Dragon (sapphireddragon) | 296 comments Mary C wrote: "Do we have to read the hands in order? I didn’t think about that when saying what I could read. Or is it just that we have to finish the hands in order but can be reading for all of the. At the san..."

No need to read hands in order. Read as and when you can. As long as we aim to have hands done by the end of the month we are good 😀

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12