75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2020 GR Completed) > Lianne Achieving Balance in 2020

Comments Showing 1-50 of 71 (71 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments So, weirdly, last year I forgot to update my thread in this group after early April! So, yeah. Anyway here I am again! By the way I finished 130 books in 2019, so not quite my goal, but not bad.

This year I'm aiming for 150 again, but I am also aiming for more balance. Last year, though I was participating in a challenge to read books from my TBR, I read almost nothing but library books. I also feel like too large a portion of my reading has been stuff I'm "supposed to" read, rather than stuff I choose to read on my own. Like, I'm pretty much expected to read all of our local award nominees, which has recently increased to 20 middle grade novels every year! That's a lot right there that I didn't choose (even if I do enjoy them). Plus I read 30+ picture books a year at work, and then I read other popular books in the library to help me have conversations with kids about them... It all adds up.

I don't know what the solution is. There's a lot of stuff I do have to read. But I also want to read the books I own and have been meaning to read for years. And I want to reread old favourites. And sometimes I want to participate in book clubs and read unexpected stuff! So, in 2020 I'm aiming to continue increasing the time I make for reading, and make more time for all the things I want to read.

As I track my books here, I'm also going to note what category they fall into, so we'll see how this goes!

message 2: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Jan 28, 2020 06:40AM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 1. I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver (public library, recommended to me)

LOVE! I am all about the LGBTQ+ lit and this one was a good one. So. Many. Feels! Lots of sad parts but ultimately happy, affirming, and full of love.

2. Persuasion by Jane Austen Persuasion by Jane Austen (free ebook, 1001 Books to Read Before You Die)

I struggled to get into this one, mainly because I had even more than my usual amount of struggle to understand who all the characters were and their relationships to each other, but it grew on me as I went. It's possible that this is one I'll like more if I reread it because I'll be less confused.

3. Mother Bruce (Mother Bruce, Book 1) by Ryan T. Higgins Mother Bruce by Ryan T. Higgins (storytime, reread because it's a favourite of mine)

Storytime books don't get much better than Mother Bruce!

4. Somebody Else's Kids by Torey L. Hayden Somebody Else's Kids: The True Story of Four Problem Children and One Extraordinary Teacher by Torey Hayden (newly owned by me, staff book club pick)

I was prepared to hate this 40-year-old book about working with disabled and otherwise struggling kids, but was pleasantly surprised. While there was certainly a lot of casual ableism, the author was definitely ahead of her time. And I grew very attached to the kids she wrote about, so I was hooked.

5. Maybe He Just Likes You by Barbara Dee Maybe He Just Likes You by Barbara Dee (school library, recommended I read it to booktalk it)

Wow. This middle grade book about a grade 7 girl dealing with sexual harassment from her peers is a must read. I think it's important for girls to read it, to be able to put a name to what's happening, and I'd love it if boys read it, because sometimes they don't even realise what they're doing, either. I've now read and loved two books by Barbara Dee (the other was Star-Crossed), so this is an author I should perhaps check out more of!

So, no TBR stuff so far, but at least I'm liking my reading! And I am currently trying to whittle down my library book stack (while trying to avoid that becoming a Sisyphean battle).

message 3: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Elyse (winesaboutbooks) | 7529 comments Mod
Welcome back, Lianne! :) Good luck on your goals!

message 4: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Jan 21, 2020 11:53AM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments Elyse wrote: "Welcome back, Lianne! :) Good luck on your goals!"

Thank you!

Wow, I just looked back through my posts here and realised I've been tracking my reading in this group since 2012! And before that I was in the 50 books group for a couple of years. Neat. (Also, wow, looking at those threads, especially the ones where I wrote about the books I read, is quite the walk down memory lane!)

message 5: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Welcome back, Lianne! :) Good luck on your goals!"

Thank you!

Wow, I just looked back through my posts here and realised I've been tracking my reading in this group since 2012! And ..."

Isn't it cool to have such a back-up?! I've also been here keeping track since 2012!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments Elyse wrote: "Isn't it cool to have such a back-up?! I've also been here keeping track since 2012!"

Very cool! I've been tracking everything I read on Goodreads since the start of 2009, and I've been able to fill in a few books here and there from before that, but I often wish I had a record of everything I've read in my life! I must have read so much as a kid/teen that I've totally forgotten. I'm thankful for the record I have, at least. :)

message 7: by Charleen (new)

Charleen (charleenlynette) | 1399 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Isn't it cool to have such a back-up?! I've also been here keeping track since 2012!"

Very cool! I've been tracking everything I read on Goodreads since the start of 2009, and I've b..."

I took such a long break from reading for pleasure over most of high school and college. So when I started up on Goodreads (also 2009!), I very clearly remembered everything I'd read in the few years between then and when I'd started reading again as an adult. So, as nice as it would be to know everything I read as a kid, it's easier to let go of that early stuff since there was such a definitive break in between.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments Charleen wrote: "I took such a long break from reading for pleasure over most of high school and college. So when I started up on Goodreads (also 2009!), I very clearly remembered everything I'd read in the few years between then and when I'd started reading again as an adult. So, as nice as it would be to know everything I read as a kid, it's easier to let go of that early stuff since there was such a definitive break in between."

I definitely read less during university, because of being so bogged down with school work, but I didn't have that kind of clear gap in my reading. Also I have a terrible memory! The only way I've been able to piece together some of my pre-2009 reading is by knowing that I read certain books in certain grades, so I could fill in a year. I also found some old forum posts of mine in a book club, in which I said what I was reading, so that was neat!

6. Miles to Go by Beryl Young Miles to Go by Beryl Young (school library, MYRCA nominee)

Honestly, this was my least favourite of this year's MYRCA nominees so far (and I've read almost all of them now).

7. The Cool Kids' Guide to Summer Camp by R.L. Stine The Cool Kids' Guide to Summer Camp by Jovial Bob Stine and Jane Stine (TBR pile)

I wanted to get a start on my Mount TBR challenge, so last night I read a quick R.L. Stine book. I'm trying to read them in roughly chronological order, though I don't have quite all of them yet. This is one of his oldest books for sure, and one that I didn't even know existed until I stumbled across it at a used book sale! It was a really fun, goofy book that brought back lots of great summer camp memories for me.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 8. The Jumbies (The Jumbies #1) by Tracey Baptiste The Jumbies by Tracey Baptiste (school library, personal choice)

I'm always excited to find stories based in mythology other than the usual European myths. This is a spooky fantasy based on mythology from Trinidad and Tobago. It's the first in a trilogy so I'll probably check out the other two.

message 10: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Jan 27, 2020 05:21AM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "8. The Jumbies (The Jumbies #1) by Tracey Baptiste The Jumbies by Tracey Baptiste (school library, personal choice)

I'm always excited to find stories based in mythology other than the usual European myths. This..."

Tamamo the Fox Maiden and Other Asian Stories is a great graphic novel that explores other culture's mythologies and legends! It's the only one I've read so far but it's part of a series: https://www.goodreads.com/series/1268...

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 9. Ruby's Chinese New Year by Vickie Lee Ruby's Chinese New Year by Vickie Lee (school library, storytime)

I didn't like this one quite enough to pick it for storytime this week (I don't think I could read something this repetitive 11 times in a school cycle lol), but I had one class in unexpectedly for extra library time so I read them this as a bonus story.

10. How to Talk to Girls at Parties by Neil Gaiman How to Talk to Girls at Parties by Neil Gaiman (public library, personal choice)

I haven't read Fragile Things yet, which apparently contains the short story this graphic novel was based on. Weird story! It was an enjoyable, quick read. I finished it while hanging out at the library before my tai chi class.

11. Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell Pumpkinheads by Rainbow Rowell, illustrated by Faith Erin Hicks (school library, personal choice)

OH MY GOD that was the cutest thing I ever read! I already want to read it again!

And with that I'm actually on track for my Goodreads goal for once! :D

message 12: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "9. Ruby's Chinese New Year by Vickie Lee Ruby's Chinese New Year by Vickie Lee (school library, storytime)

I didn't like this one quite enough to pick it for storytime this week (I don't th..."

I loved Pumpkinheads!!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments Elyse wrote: "I loved Pumpkinheads!!"

It's so good!! I only wish I'd read it in autumn to get the full seasonal effect! It's just so sweet and I love the art.

message 14: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Feb 02, 2020 10:12AM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 12. When Planet Earth Was New by James Gladstone When Planet Earth Was New by James Gladstone, illustrated by Katherine Diemert (school library, storytime)

I've been wanting to include more non-fiction books in my storytimes, though it can be hard to find good ones that really work for reading aloud. This one was perfect! It starts when earth was just volcanoes and toxic gases, and brings you through the evolution of life, dinosaurs, early mammals, and up to the present. The kids had SO many questions and comments during this book! It made for a great storytime.

DNF: Punks Not Dead #1. Nothing wrong with it; I was just feeling like I have so much I want to read and this didn't seem important.

13. The Time Raider (Twistaplot #1) by R.L. Stine The Time Raider (Twist-a-Plot #1) by R.L. Stine (TBR pile)

I love a good gamebook! In this one you get in your uncle's time machine and the first choice is whether to go forward or backward in time. Either way, there are many possible endings, most of them bad! (I think that's common in gamebooks; it's hard to have a happy ending and easy to get eaten or exploded or trapped in a time loop or whatever.)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 14. 101 Silly Monster Jokes by R.L. Stine 101 Silly Monster Jokes by Jovial Bob Stine (R.L. Stine) (TBR pile)

Another one off the TBR stack! I am rocking that challenge! :D Oof these jokes were pretty bad lol.

15. Pulse Point by Colleen Nelson Pulse Point by Colleen Nelson (school library, MYRCA nominee)

I really enjoyed this one! Unfortunately, the ending is not even remotely an ending, and I have heard nothing of a sequel. This one came out in 2018. There HAS to be a sequel!

Ooh, check it out, I'm ahead on my Goodreads goal! It's been a while since that's happened! :D

message 16: by Elyse, Moderator (last edited Feb 04, 2020 06:01AM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "15. Pulse Point by Colleen Nelson Pulse Point by Colleen Nelson (school library, MYRCA nominee)

I really enjoyed this one! Unfortunately, the ending is not even remotely an ending, and I have heard nothing of a sequel. This one came out in 2018. There HAS to be a sequel!..."

Oh bummer, I hate that. I find an older book and then no sequel ends up happening. Because the book probably wasn't popular enough.

message 17: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1757 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Ooh, check it out, I'm ahead on my Goodreads goal! It's been a while since that's happened! :D ..."

Woohoo! Look at you go!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments Elyse wrote: "Oh bummer, I hate that. I find an older book and then no sequel ends up happening. Because the book probably wasn't popular enough."

I remain cautiously optimistic! I've seen series go a lot more than 2 years between books! Maybe she's just taking a while to write the ending.

16. Miss Peregrine et les enfants particuliers by Ransom Riggs Miss Peregrine et les enfants particuliers (French translation of Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children) by Ransom Riggs (public library, French reading)

I'm glad to be through this one! It was probably a bit too tough for my French level. I think the fact that I've read the book in English gave me the illusion of comprehension; if I didn't already know the story, I probably would have been rather lost. The vocabulary was a lot more than I expected!

Now I'm going back to the next installment in the easy YA email-based series I was reading before; it should be refreshing after this challenge!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 17. Awâsis and the World-Famous Bannock by Dallas Hunt Awâsis and the World-Famous Bannock by Dallas Hunt, illustrated by Amanda Strong (school library, storytime)

For I Love to Read Month, we're doing a battle of the books kind of thing, where every day there are two picture books that kids vote on. So, this wasn't one of my regular storytime books, but was one of the books being voted on, so I read it to two classes that day. I didn't have time to study the pronunciation of the Cree words beforehand, which definitely made this one a challenge! But it was a fun story.

18. Singing Away the Dark by Caroline Woodward Singing Away the Dark by Caroline Woodward, illustrated by Julie Morstad (school library, storytime)

My regular storytime pick for this week. A quick, relaxing sort of picture book about a girl who had to walk a mile to catch her school bus each morning.

19. Horrors of the Haunted Museum (Twistaplot, #9) by R.L. Stine Horrors of the Haunted Museum (Twist-a-Plot #9) by R.L. Stine (TBR pile)

In this gamebook, you spend the night in a museum, and choosing whether to enter the ancient Egypt room or the pirates room will determine what sort of frightening adventure you'll get yourself into!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 20. Indiana Jones and the Giants of the Silver Tower by R.L. Stine Indiana Jones and the Giants of the Silver Tower (Find Your Fate #3) by R.L. Stine (TBR pile)

Another one knocked off the TBR! I've been on a reading roll on the weekends lately and I'm loving it! At this rate I'll finally make some real progress on my TBR pile this year. With a few more books moved to my currently reading shelf, I've actually got my to read shelf back under 1000! For now... The next big used book sale isn't until the end of April so I have lots of time to make room for purchases lol!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 21. The Proudest Blue by Ibtihaj Muhammad The Proudest Blue by Ibtihaj Muhammad and S.K. Ali, illustrated by Hatem Aly (school library, storytime)

22. Virginia Wolf by Kyo Maclear Virginia Wolf by Kyo Maclear, illustrated by Isabelle Arsenault (school library, storytime)

23. Surfer Dog by Eric Walters Surfer Dog by Eric Walters, illustrated by Eugene Fernandes (school library, storytime)

More storytime books than usual lately, because of I Love to Read Month and activities related to that. I really liked The Proudest Blue and Virginia Wolf. Surfer Dog was boring.

24. The Pants Project by Cat Clarke The Pants Project by Cat Clarke

LOVE! This one has definitely earned a spot alongside George and The Other Boy as middle grade novels about trans characters that I can recommend without hesitation! In this one, the main character, Liv, is a trans boy who isn't out yet, and he has just started middle school and is required to wear a skirt as part of his school uniform. The Pants Project is his attempt to get the dress code changed. Friendship is also a major topic, as Liv deals with an old best friend who is being surprisingly unsupportive, and makes some unexpected new friends along the way.

25. 101 Vacation Jokes by R.L. Stine 101 Vacation Jokes by Jovial Bob Stine (aka R.L. Stine) (TBR pile)

More painfully bad jokes, lol. I've been feeling a sudden craving for Goosebumps books lately, so I'm quite tempted to jump ahead a few years in my R.L. Stine reading to get to some of those!

message 22: by Andrea, Moderator (new)

Andrea | 4073 comments Mod
Lianne so good to see you posting again!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments Andrea wrote: "Lianne so good to see you posting again!"

Thank you!! It's so good to be back! :)

26. Coop The Great by Larry Verstraete Coop the Great by Larry Verstraete (school library, MYRCA nominee)

Pretty good, but would have liked it more with less build up and more excitement. With this I finish the MYRCA Sundogs nominees!

27. Indiana Jones and the Cult of the Mummy's Crypt (Indiana Jones Find Your Fate, #7) by R.L. Stine Indiana Jones and the Cult of the Mummy's Crypt by R.L. Stine (TBR pile)

The last of R.L. Stine's early gamebooks (that I own, anyway; they're hard to find!).

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 28. The Proposal (Animorphs, #35) by K.A. Applegate The Proposal (Animorphs #35) by K.A. Applegate (TBR pile)

Lately I've been listening to an Animorphs fan podcast called Fanimorphs: The Dork Bajir Chronicles, so it was nice to actually read one of the books after quite a long break in between! And when this one ends you GOTTA read Visser, so I've got that one in progress now.

29. Bloom A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli by Kyo Maclear Bloom: A Story of Fashion Designer Elsa Schiaparelli by Kyo Maclear, illustrated by Julie Morstad (school library, storytime)

A little long for reading to the younger grades (I sometimes felt I was losing their attention), but a nice story about a fashion designer I wasn't familiar with. And gorgeous art!! Just look at that cover!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 30. Visser (Animorphs Chronicles, #3) by K.A. Applegate Visser (Animorphs Chronicles #3) by K.A. Applegate (TBR pile)

The only Animorphs Chronicles book I was missing as a kid! Finally I got to learn more about Visser One!

31. Friendships Don't Just Happen! The Guide to Creating a Meaningful Circle of GirlFriends by Shasta Nelson Friendships Don't Just Happen! The Guide to Creating a Meaningful Circle of Girlfriends by Shasta Nelson (TBR pile)

I've been meaning to read this one for years! (OK, so that's true of most of my TBR pile.) I definitely got some good stuff from it, even if it was a bit repetitive and self-helpy for my liking.

message 26: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1821 comments Mod
Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "8. The Jumbies (The Jumbies #1) by Tracey Baptiste The Jumbies by Tracey Baptiste (school library, personal choice)

I'm always excited to find stories based in mythology other than the usual European myths. This..."

Ooooooh! I will have to check this out!

message 27: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Feb 29, 2020 10:35AM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 32. The Mutation (Animorphs, #36) by K.A. Applegate The Mutation (Animorphs #36) by K.A. Applegate

Continuing my Animorphs reading! I realised I only have 20 books left in the series! I've been reading it very slowly over the years but all of a sudden I find the end in sight. I love this series so much.

Had a bit of a slower reading week as I've been a bit sleep-deprived but hopefully this weekend I'll finish a few!

message 28: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "1. I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver I Wish You All the Best by Mason Deaver (public library, recommended to me)

LOVE! I am all about the LGBTQ+ lit and this one was a good one. So. Man..."

I LOVE Torey Hayden. L O V E her. My favorite of hers is "Just Another Kid".

My youngest little LOVED the "Bruce" series. We have Mother Bruce and Santa Bruce and she adores them.

It took me YEARS and many many many watchings of the movie to get into Persuasion. It was my ex's favorite and I just never could get into the book [I was reading it on the train once and fell asleep and almost missed my stop!]. Then one day, it all clicked and the book came alive for me and WOW. It filled in all the spaces that the movie left out [which is very little actually] and I just fell in love with Austen. Who knew? LOL So I highly recommend the movie [the one with Amanda Root and Ciaran Hinds. Such an amazing movie. Emma Thompson's sister is in that and she is very good. And very whiny. ;-)

message 29: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Isn't it cool to have such a back-up?! I've also been here keeping track since 2012!"

Very cool! I've been tracking everything I read on Goodreads since the start of 2009, and I've b..."

THIS Is why I buy my littles "book notebooks" and have taught them how to keep track of what they've read. There are SO many from when I was a kid that I just don't remember. I do remember quite a few, but there are some that are just so elusive. I remember what they are about, but not the titles. Sigh.

message 30: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Dawn Michelle wrote: "Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Isn't it cool to have such a back-up?! I've also been here keeping track since 2012!"

Very cool! I've been tracking everything I read on Goodreads ..."

That is so wonderful, Dawn Michelle!! I should encourage my nieces and nephews to do the same! On the hunt for fun notebooks! ;)

message 31: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Isn't it cool to have such a back-up?! I've also been here keeping track since 2012!"

Very cool! I've been tracking everythin..."

I found a sale at Shutterfly on notebooks and so I made each one of the one with all the fun pictures that we do each time they are here [well not ALL of them, I had to pick some and that was hard]. Each notebook also had their initial on the front and this way no one could claim that "someone stole my notebook". Because you know that would happen. If you have fun photos of them, I'd look into that. :-)

message 32: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Dawn Michelle wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Dawn Michelle wrote: "Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "Elyse wrote: "Isn't it cool to have such a back-up?! I've also been here keeping track since 2012!"

Very cool! I've been trac..."

That is AWESOME! What a brilliant, fun, personal idea!!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 33. How I Broke Up With Ernie by R.L. Stine How I Broke Up With Ernie by R.L. Stine (TBR pile)

R.L. Stine's "funny" stuff from before he devoted his life exclusively to terrifying children is so weird lol. This one was ok.

34. Larf by Ashley Spires Larf by Ashley Spires (school library, storytime)

Ashley Spires can truly do no wrong.

35. The Home for Unwanted Girls by Joanna Goodman The Home for Unwanted Girls by Joanna Goodman (public library, book club)

I joined a book club at my local library this month, and this was the book they were reading. I'm really glad I joined because otherwise I probably never would have read this fantastic book!! I learned some very disturbing history from it. At times it was a difficult read because of how horrible the setting was, but at the same time it sucked me in and made me stay up way too late reading.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 36. The Sleepwalker (Fear Street, #6) by R.L. Stine The Sleepwalker (Fear Street #6) by R.L. Stine (TBR pile)

Spooky!

37. The First Journey (Alternamorphs, #1) by K.A. Applegate The First Journey (Animorphs: Alternamorphs #1) by K.A. Applegate (TBR pile)

Ugh, not great. Rather poorly done gamebook in the Animorphs universe.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 38. Emmeline Pankhurst by Lisbeth Kaiser Emmeline Pankhurst by Lisbeth Kaiser (school library, storytime)

I love this series of picture book biographies. Every time I read one for storytime the whole series gets super popular for a while. Chose this one for International Women's Day.

39. Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles #1) by Marissa Meyer (reread from my own books)

Reread Cinder for the group read-along of the series. I really enjoyed it once again! Looking forward to finally reading the last few books in the series.

And now I have like a gazillion books on the go, which is not ideal lol, so hopefully this weekend I can actually finish some of them!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 40. Feathers for Lunch by Lois Ehlert Feathers for Lunch by Lois Ehlert (school library, storytime)

My last storytime book before the schools closed. :(

41. Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family, #1) by Melissa de la Cruz Witches of East End (The Beauchamp Family #1) by Melissa de la Cruz (TBR pile, ebook)

I liked this one! Currently waiting on the sequel from Overdrive.

42. Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles, #2) by Marissa Meyer Scarlet (The Lunar Chronicles #2) by Marissa Meyer (reread from my own books)

Continuing with the group read-along. This was my third time reading Scarlet, and the second time reading the physical copy. The time when I listened to the audiobook was the only time I didn't find this book WAY too long. That, combined with too many books on the go, and my schedule being all messed up, has contributed to my lack of finished books!

43. Funny, You Don't Look Autistic A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum by Michael McCreary Funny, You Don't Look Autistic: A Comedian's Guide to Life on the Spectrum by Michael McCreary (public library, audiobook)

I saw this one on the front page of Overdrive and went "hey, I know that face!" because I follow Michael McCreary's Facebook page! So when I saw that his book was available on Overdrive with no wait times as the Big Library Read, I downloaded the audiobook right away. Michael reads it himself, and it was awesome.

44. The Strange And Deadly Portraits Of Bryony Gray by E. Latimer The Strange and Deadly Portraits of Bryony Gray by E. Latimer (school library, ebook, MYRCA nominee)

Got this ebook from my school's Overdrive, and could only check it out for one week! And to make matters worse, apparently my Kobo just will not work with Adobe Digital Editions anymore (at least not on anything locked, like library books). So I had to read this whole book on my phone. *grumble grumble DRM grumble* Anyway, aside from that the book was good.

I've been at home all day for 3 weeks and this is what I have to show for myself?! *sigh* Well, at least I've gotten some good Netflix in, and today I beat Lego Harry Potter Years 1-4 on the Wii.

message 37: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Scarlet did seem very long. I read Cress faster and enjoyed it more than Scarlet. I also got Funny, You Don't Look Autistic from Overdrive, I started with the e-book and will be switching to the audiobook because I have more time to listen than read right now!

What you do with your free time is whatever you want! Whatever keeps you calm and relaxed.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 45. The Weakness (Animorphs, #37) by K.A. Applegate The Weakness (Animorphs #37) by K.A. Applegate (TBR pile)

46. Esio Trot  by Roald Dahl Esio Trot by Roald Dahl (TBR pile)

47. Phone Calls by R.L. Stine Phone Calls by R.L. Stine (TBR pile)

48. Interview with the Vampire Claudia's Story by Ashley Marie Witter Interview with the Vampire: Claudia's Story by Ashley Marie Witter (original story by Anne Rice) (TBR pile)

49. The Arrival (Animorphs, #38) by K.A. Applegate The Arrival (Animorphs #38) by K.A. Applegate (TBR pile)

50. Haunted (Fear Street, #7) by R.L. Stine Haunted (Fear Street #7) by R.L. Stine (TBR pile)

51. Juliet Fisher and the Foolproof Plan by Natalie Honeycutt Juliet Fisher and the Foolproof Plan by Natalie Honeycutt (TBR pile)

Those were my read-a-thon books! My decreased reading over the last few weeks had taken me from being way ahead on my Goodreads goal to being a few books behind. I made up for that yesterday! Now I'm 4 books ahead!

message 39: by Elyse, Moderator (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "45. The Weakness (Animorphs, #37) by K.A. Applegate The Weakness (Animorphs #37) by K.A. Applegate (TBR pile)

46. Esio Trot  by Roald Dahl Esio Trot by Roald Dahl (TBR pile)..."

Great job!

message 40: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited May 21, 2020 01:35PM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 52. 101 School Cafeteria Jokes by R.L. Stine 101 School Cafeteria Jokes by Jovial Bob Stine (aka R.L. Stine) (TBR pile)

53. How to Catch a Star (The Boy, #1) by Oliver Jeffers How to Catch a Star by Oliver Jeffers (school library, storytime)

54. Iggy Peck, Architect by Andrea Beaty Iggy Peck, Architect by Andrea Beaty (school library, storytime)

55. Paulie Pastrami Achieves World Peace by James Proimos Paulie Pastrami Achieves World Peace by James Proimos (school library, storytime)

It took me a bit after school closed to really get going with storytime. (It's a whole thing. Publishers are giving special permission to read books online, but there's still a process and you have to make sure you're following their rules. Plus I just hate recording myself lol.) But anyway, I have settled into a weekly routine, and hope to do a few more this school year.

56. Cress (The Lunar Chronicles, #3) by Marissa Meyer Cress (The Lunar Chronicles #3) by Marissa Meyer (TBR pile)

I finally finished one of my books that I've had going since almost the start of quarantine! Now let's see if I can knock off another one or two before I get too many other books started...

Also, I might do the Sci Fi Summer Read-a-Thon from Seasons of Reading, even though I don't normally do month-long read-a-thons. A significant chunk of my library book pile (that I'd really like to get through before the library reopens) is sci fi, so it might be fun to really focus a month on the genre.

message 41: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Jun 08, 2020 03:18PM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 57. Mustache! by Mac Barnett Mustache! by Mac Barnett (school library, storytime)

58. The Silver Spear (The Violet Fox #2) by Clare C. Marshall Silver Spear (Violet Fox #2) by Clare C. Marshall (TBR pile, ebook)

59. Dog Loves Books by Louise Yates Dog Loves Books by Louise Yates (school library, storytime)

60. First Contact by J.M. Dillard Star Trek: First Contact (graphic novel version) (TBR pile)

Being incapable of concentrating right now, and at the same time reading a huge Stephen King book, is a terrible combination. So today I read a quick comic because I just needed a win lol. I've had a terrible week. Here's hoping things get better.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 61. Dog Loves Drawing by Louise Yates Dog Loves Drawing by Louise Yates (school library, storytime)

62. Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs by Giles Andreae Captain Flinn and the Pirate Dinosaurs by Giles Andreae (school library, storytime)

63. Serpent's Kiss (The Beauchamp Family #2) by Melissa de la Cruz Serpent's Kiss (The Beauchamp Family #2) by Melissa de la Cruz (public library, ebook)

64. Riot Baby by Tochi Onyebuchi Riot Baby by Tochi Onyebuchi (public library)

65. Halloween Party (Fear Street, #8) by R.L. Stine Halloween Party (Fear Street #8) by R.L. Stine (TBR pile)

66. Girl of the Southern Sea by Michelle Kadarusman Girl of the Southern Sea by Michelle Kadarusman (school library, MYRCA nominee)

67. The Magpie's Library by Kate Blair The Magpie's Library by Kate Blair (school library, MYRCA nominee)

My reading has still been slow (except for a little while back when I read Halloween Party in a single evening!), but I did manage to get the library's copies of the MYRCA nominees before summer break officially started, and have managed to get a start on those. I've loved the two I've read so far!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 68. Curtains by R.L. Stine Curtains by R.L. Stine (TBR pile)

69. 101 Creepy Creature Jokes by R.L. Stine 101 Creepy Creature Jokes by Jovial Bob Stine (R.L. Stine) (TBR pile)

70. The Stepsister (Fear Street, #9) by R.L. Stine The Stepsister (Fear Street #9) by R.L. Stine (TBR pile)

Knocked a few more off the R.L. Stine pile!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 71. Needful Things by Stephen King Needful Things by Stephen King (TBR pile)

I finished my quarantine read!! The book I've been reading literally throughout all of my work-from-home time plus summer break. Five months. It was good, but I lacked focus. Unfortunately this set me back on my reading goals for the year by a LOT, but hopefully I can read lots of nice short books in the fall and get caught up. I'm only 22 books behind schedule! *sweats nervously*

72. Finna by Nino Cipri Finna by Nino Cipri (public library)

I LOVE THIS. I read this book because it was on this list of 2020 sci fi releases to read based on your favourite Star Trek character. This was the one for Paul Stamets on Star Trek Discovery. The setting: a fictional version of Ikea in which wormholes to other points in the multiverse tend to pop up. The characters: a recently-split-up queer couple trying to figure out how to be around each other. The world building: awesome.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 73. The Case of the Snack Snatcher (West Meadows Detectives #1) by Liam O'Donnell West Meadow Detectives: The Case of the Snack Snatcher by Liam O'Donnell (school library, personal choice)

Definitely one of the better autistic characters in middle grade fiction!

74. Pickles vs the Zombies by Angela Misri Pickles vs. the Zombies by Angela Misri (school library, MYRCA nominee)

75. Guts by Raina Telgemeier Guts by Raina Telgemeier (school library, personal choice)

76. Thomas the Tank Engine (The Railway Series, #2) by Wilbert Awdry Thomas the Tank Engine by Wilbert Awdry (public library, 1001 Children's Books You Must Read Before You Grow Up)

I don't really see the appeal of Thomas, to be honest.

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 77. Best Frints at Skrool by Antoinette Portis Best Frints at Skrool by Antoinette Portis (school library, storytime)

First storytime book of the school year!

message 47: by Juli, Moderator (new)

Juli | 1821 comments Mod
Lianne (The Towering Pile) wrote: "71. Needful Things by Stephen King Needful Things by Stephen King (TBR pile)

I finished my quarantine read!! The book I've been reading literally throughout all of my work-from-home time plus..."

I am eyeing Needful Things as my next King read!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments I polished off two quick ones today when I looked at my Kindle Cloud Reader and saw some short ones there. (I don't have a Kindle; I have a Kobo. So my Kindle books are generally picture books or very short free books, which I just read in my browser.)

78. The Password Trick How To Use a Different Password for Every Website by Thomas MacEntee The Password Trick: How to Use a Different Password for Every Website by Thomas MacEntee (free ebook)

I got this one when it was free a long time ago, having heard about it because an acquaintance of mine wrote it. It's suddenly very relevant to me as I recently had a bit of a security kerfuffle and realised it was urgent for me to improve my password habits. (I had a bad habit of password repetition which I'm trying to stop.) I'm glad I got this book for free, though, since it was pretty much the same as a couple of articles I've recently read on the subject. Nothing really groundbreaking.

79. Organization Strategies - Effective Strategies For Disorganized People to Live A Organized Life in 7 Days or Less And Become Stress FREE (Effective Strategies ... For Disorganized People, Stress Free life) by Tammy Garner Organization Strategies - Effective Strategies for Disorganized People to Live an Organized Life in 7 Days or Less by Tammy Garner (free ebook)

This one was terrible. I'm definitely glad I never spent money on this one! I've read free articles with significantly deeper advice than this "book". It basically tells you what room to clean each day for a week and then suggests that your home will magically stay clean after that. It made me imagine someone skimming Marie Kondo but not absorbing any of her wisdom and then quickly jotting down what they remember.

Neither of these counts towards my Mount TBR challenge because they weren't on my Want to Read shelf. I only put ebooks there when I spend money on them, basically because it doesn't matter if I let free ebooks pile up. In fact I had forgotten to even add these two to my free-ebooks-to-read shelf. But, they do count towards my Goodreads challenge, which is good because I'm super behind!!

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 80. Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball by Vicki Churchill Sometimes I Like to Curl Up in a Ball by Vicki Churchill (school library, storytime)

This was a nice storytime for kindergartners. Good if you want to get them up and moving a bit.

81. How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi How to Be an Antiracist by Ibram X. Kendi (public library, audiobook)

Essential reading.

message 50: by Lianne (The Towering Pile) (last edited Oct 06, 2020 07:28AM) (new)

Lianne (The Towering Pile) Lavoie (liannelavoie) | 488 comments 82. The Fabulous Friend Machine by Nick Bland The Fabulous Friend Machine by Nick Bland (school library, storytime)

83. The Seep by Chana Porter The Seep by Chana Porter (public library)

This was my third book off the list 20 2020 Sci-Fi Books to Read Based on Your Favorite Star Trek Character; this one is matched up with Jadzia Dax. I loved the premise, though I would have liked it to be a bit more fleshed out.

« previous 1