Play Book Tag discussion

Hamilton: The Revolution
This topic is about Hamilton
Archive: Other Books > (Poll Ballot) Hamilton: The Revolution by Lin-Manuel Miranda and Jeremy McCarter - 5 stars

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Ellen | 2134 comments Although I have never seen the play "Hamilton" (definitely on my bucket list) I thoroughly enjoyed this book. It exhaustively covers every single thing associated with the Broadway play from Miranda's initial idea to compose a Hamilton mix-tape album, a short performance for President Obama at the White House, to opening night of the full production 6 years later. Who could have imagined that the tale of Alexander Hamilton and other important politicos of the time would lend itself so well to rap music. The entire libretto is included in the book along with hundreds of footnotes explaining lyrics or giving snippets of historical fact. There are interesting chapters featuring the performers, costume designers, set designers, musicians and many, many photographs. If the book is this good....I can only imagine how astounding the musical must be. Loved it!

annapi | 4965 comments It truly helps to know the lyrics (more or less) before you go see the play - the words are rattled off so fast it's hard to understand what they're saying. But it's a fantastic performance!

message 3: by Hebah (new)

Hebah (quietdissident) | 675 comments I had a chance to see Hamilton live this summer, and it was amazing. Can recommend it. We took my in-laws along to see the show, not sure what they would think of it, and now my mother-in-law is obsessed with it.

annapi | 4965 comments My daughter was obsessed with it before it came to Los Angeles - she was playing the music for about 2 years before it came to town so we were quite familiar with the lyrics when we finally saw it!

Theresa | 6656 comments I can attest to just how amazing the show is. I saw it the first time during the Broadway preview -- before there was a cast album, a book about it, awards, documentaries -- and I remember at intermission saying to my friend, "this must be what it felt like to be in the audience of West Side Story in 1957. " You just knew you had just experienced something new, different, unique, brilliant.

And this book really captures that. I managed to read it before I saw Hamilton again and it added layers to my appreciation.

message 6: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8516 comments The book is on my list - but it’s long which is always a personal deterrent. Saw the play, but never heard it first. That’s a disadvantage to be sure.

message 7: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments I feel like I should have read a hard copy instead of listening to the audio book of this. Even with that, I still loved it, the insight, and the fodder for my Hamilton obsession. I saw it a couple years ago, and want to see it again (and again and again).

For those who want to see it, but can't- another of Miranda's shows- In The Heights is a movie set to come out this Summer!!

Ellen | 2134 comments You guys are making me want to see this even more!!!!!

message 9: by Theresa (last edited Jan 21, 2020 06:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Theresa | 6656 comments Amy wrote: "The book is on my list - but it’s long which is always a personal deterrent. Saw the play, but never heard it first. That’s a disadvantage to be sure."

Amy - this is not the biography of Alexander Hamilton which is an intimidating door stop. This is the heavily illustrated book about the making of the musical and is really not that long.

message 10: by Theresa (last edited Jan 21, 2020 06:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Theresa | 6656 comments Joi wrote: "I feel like I should have read a hard copy instead of listening to the audio book of this. Even with that, I still loved it, the insight, and the fodder for my Hamilton obsession. I saw it a couple..."

You absolutely need to get your hands on a print copy -there is so much visual in it that you just cannot possibly get from an audio.

I tell everyone to do this in print.

message 11: by Joi (new) - rated it 5 stars

Joi (missjoious) | 3809 comments I'm going to take a peek through next time I'm at Barnes and Noble, haha.

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy | 8516 comments That’s good to know! I did think it was the doorstop biography on which the play was based. And since it hits so many state tags I should up at on my list!

message 13: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2811 comments The biography is definitely a doorstop ( all praise to e-books) but it was well worth the effort. It's easy enough to read it in sections, no need to rush through it.

message 14: by Nicole R (new)

Nicole R (drnicoler) | 7758 comments Jgrace wrote: "The biography is definitely a doorstop ( all praise to e-books) but it was well worth the effort. It's easy enough to read it in sections, no need to rush through it."

I am currently listening to the doorstop on audio and it is excellently done!

message 15: by Jgrace (new)

Jgrace | 2811 comments Nicole R wrote: "Jgrace wrote: "The biography is definitely a doorstop ( all praise to e-books) but it was well worth the effort. It's easy enough to read it in sections, no need to rush through it."

I am currentl..."

I think I tried to listen to it. And I had a hardback copy (too heavy), but I couldn't make progress until I had a kindle copy. I ended up with 179 highlights. I can't think of any other book in my library that has come even close to that.