This topic is about Ninth House
Archived BOTM > Ninth House by Leigh Bardugo

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Leigh | 16181 comments Mod
Ninth House (Alex Stern, #1) by Leigh Bardugo

Genre: Fantasy, Fiction, Mystery, Contemporary, Adult

Description: Galaxy “Alex” Stern is the most unlikely member of Yale’s freshman class. Raised in the Los Angeles hinterlands by a hippie mom, Alex dropped out of school early and into a world of shady drug dealer boyfriends, dead-end jobs, and much, much worse. By age twenty, in fact, she is the sole survivor of a horrific, unsolved multiple homicide. Some might say she’s thrown her life away. But at her hospital bed, Alex is offered a second chance: to attend one of the world’s most elite universities on a full ride. What’s the catch, and why her?

Still searching for answers to this herself, Alex arrives in New Haven tasked by her mysterious benefactors with monitoring the activities of Yale’s secret societies. These eight windowless “tombs” are well-known to be haunts of the future rich and powerful, from high-ranking politicos to Wall Street and Hollywood’s biggest players. But their occult activities are revealed to be more sinister and more extraordinary than any paranoid imagination might conceive.

Some things to think about while you're reading. Answer just one or all of these questions, but remember, PLEASE USE SPOILER TAGS when necessary! If you don't know how, ask :)

1. What was your initial reaction to the book? Did it hook you immediately, or take some time to get into?

2. Do you think the story was plot-based or character driven?

3. What was your favorite quote/passage?

4. What made the setting unique or important? Could the story have taken place anywhere?

5. Did you pick out any themes throughout the book?

6. How credible/believable did you find the narrator to be? Did you feel like you got the 'true' story?

7. How did the characters change throughout the story? How did your opinion of them change?

8. Which character did you relate to the most, and what was it about them that you connected with?

9. How did you feel about the ending? What did you like, what did you not like, and what do you wish had been different?

10. If the book were being adapted into a movie, who would you want to see play what parts?

badge-24

message 2: by Elsa (new) - added it

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) | 412 comments I really hope I can get to this one this month.

message 3: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

It took me a while to connect with the characters but loved it in the end.

message 4: by Elsa (new) - added it

Elsa Carrion (ecarrion) | 412 comments I just finished a book like that, in the end I really liked the story.

message 5: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elsa wrote: "I just finished a book like that, in the end I really liked the story."

It happens sometimes.

message 6: by Sheri, Bookworm (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri | 12452 comments Mod
Leigh wrote: "It took me a while to connect with the characters but loved it in the end."

Same for me. After the first chapter I wasn't sure I'd be able to get into it, but by the end I loved it!

message 7: by Elle (last edited Feb 15, 2020 07:56PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elle (elleay) | 143 comments Ditto Leigh and Sheri - it was a slow-go in the beginning. It took me a while to finish the book because I put it down multiple times and read something else before coming back. I'm glad I did though. When we finally got more of her back story, I started perking up. Props for it not being your usual MC background. I really got into it when she dropped the fitting-in facade and let her real personality out. Things got interesting after that. Looking forward to the next book in the series.

message 8: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (last edited Feb 16, 2020 06:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elsa, congrats on finishing this book. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Here is your badge.
badge-24

message 9: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sheri, congrats on finishing this book. I'm glad that you enjoyed it. Here is your badge. badge-24

message 10: by Leigh, ⚔️ Wonder Woman ⚔️ (new) - rated it 4 stars

Elle wrote: "Ditto Leigh and Sheri - it was a slow-go in the beginning. It took me a while to finish the book because I put it down multiple times and read something else before coming back. I'm glad I did thou..."

I agree with you on the more I got to know Alex the more I connected with her. I will definitely read the next book.Congrats on finishing the book. Here is your badge.
badge-24