EPBOT Readers discussion

FoE Book Club > The Starless Sea Pre- Discussion

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 833 comments Mod
Hi everyone!

The Starless Sea was chosen to be our next book, winning by a significant margin!

Here is where you can put your pre-reading thoughts. If you have already read it, no spoilers in this thread, please.

Are you excited? Not looking forward to it? Any pre-reading /non spoilery thoughts welcome!

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1 comments Hi everyone! This is my first time posting, but have a been a member of the group for a while. My reading life just didn't line up with this book club so far. But I just started the Starless Sea two days ago (on audio) and I'm excited to discuss!

I listen to 75% of my books and I can already tell I'm going to need to pay closer attention to this book more than others.

message 3: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 228 comments I loved The Night Circus so am looking forward to this one! Hopefully it doesn't take too long to get it from the library.

message 4: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 833 comments Mod
Shel, no worries if it does. I won't be closing the threads so you can always contribute, even if it's not right away!

message 5: by Megan (new)

Megan | 236 comments I just finished it at the end of last week for another book club and loved it - I'm looking forward to hearing everyone's thoughts here! I had been looking forward to reading it so much that pre-ordered an autographed copy, and it lived up to my expectations.

message 6: by Jen (last edited Jan 22, 2020 08:44AM) (new)

Jen (piratenami) | 193 comments I haven't read any reviews, so I'm really looking forward to diving in unspoiled and enjoying Morgenstern's prose. All I know about it is what it says in the blurb, and that I loved the author's first book. (And, luckily, my library hold for it just came up a few days ago!)

message 7: by Erin (new)

Erin (ezzles) | 1 comments I read it when it came out and loved it so much. Time for a re-read!

message 8: by Victoria (new)

Victoria | 1 comments I loved the Night Circus, so I should definitely read this one!

message 9: by Sandimonium (new)

Sandimonium | 1 comments Can't wait to get started!

message 10: by Susan (new)

Susan LoVerso | 261 comments Like everyone else, I loved the Night Circus and look forward to when my library hold says it is available to me! My side passion is circus arts and many years ago we did a student flying trapeze show with the Night Circus theme. It was a lot of fun. Anyway, looking forward to getting this book.

message 11: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Klinich | 117 comments I ended up finishing the book before our discussion started because it was due at the library. I'm not good at remembering which parts of the story were where so don't want to accidentally spoil anything in the other comment threads.
I really loved Night Circus, but was happy I didn't get around to rereading it right before this one like I planned. If you can try to read it independently without making Night Circus comparisons I think you will enjoy it more.

message 12: by Sheri (new)

Sheri | 833 comments Mod
I agree with that, Kathy. I'd recently re-read Night Circus, and try as I might I couldn't NOT compare them.

message 13: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferle) | 26 comments This is great timing because my hold just came available on this book at my library. I loved Night Circus so much. I am hoping this one lives up to my expectations, but even if it's only partly as good as NC it'll still be a good read.

message 14: by Kathy (new)

Kathy Klinich | 117 comments Jennifer wrote: "This is great timing because my hold just came available on this book at my library. I loved Night Circus so much. I am hoping this one lives up to my expectations, but even if it's only partly as ..."
I think if this had been her first book, people would be raving about it like Night Circus. But that is a hard act to follow.

message 15: by Samantha (new)

Samantha MacMillan I was nervous starting it because it was inevitably going to be compared by me to The Night Circus, but I also desperately wanted to read it because of how much I love her writing

message 16: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (jenniferle) | 26 comments Kathy wrote: "Jennifer wrote: "This is great timing because my hold just came available on this book at my library. I loved Night Circus so much. I am hoping this one lives up to my expectations, but even if it'..."

I'm only through Book 1, but I agree. This is a wonderful book.