Play Book Tag discussion

The Gunslinger (The Dark Tower, #1)
This topic is about The Gunslinger
January 2020: Thriller > [Poll Ballot] The Gunslinger by Stephen King 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Charlotte | 1597 comments The Gunslinger by Stephen King
3 stars

Meh... I am a Stephen King fan but some of what he writes is a little out there for me. I struggled with this one a bit. I did have something going on in my life that has killed my focus and the book jumped around and was a little chaotic and so my focus kept leaving the book.

The story follows Roland, the last Gunslinger, on the first portion of his overall quest. I see where this is the type of book where the main lead has several things that he needs to do and accomplish in his overall journey to his main and ultimate goal. His journey seems to be one that not only does he need to complete physically but also spiritually.

It's interesting to me that this is a book that I've picked up recently because I've read other books about people on their spiritual journey and seems to be my unintentional theme of the year.

This is tagged as Thriller but I didn't think it was that much of a thriller book. I could see why it is tagged like that because the whole story builds up to his eventual showdown with the Man in Black.

Not my favorite Stephen King book but I'm interested to see how his writing changes over the decades that it takes for him to finish this series. I know it'll probably be some time before I read the next in the series.

message 2: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3402 comments I did not enjoy this, for all the same reasons you mentioned.
I am intrigued about the rest of the series, but I think I am done with it after the first book. Too strange... and I really like strange!

Charlotte | 1597 comments Meli wrote: "I did not enjoy this, for all the same reasons you mentioned.
I am intrigued about the rest of the series, but I think I am done with it after the first book. Too strange... and I really like stra..."

Yea... the only reason I'm keen to keep going is the whole spiritual journey aspect of it and seeing where it goes. I just read the alchemist and I'm digging into this with other authors this year and wonder if it might be something I can tie in. We'll see though.

message 4: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3402 comments Charlotte wrote: "Meli wrote: "I did not enjoy this, for all the same reasons you mentioned.
I am intrigued about the rest of the series, but I think I am done with it after the first book. Too strange... and I rea..."

I'll rely on you to keep me updated on his journey :P

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gunslinger (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Stephen King (other topics)