YA Buddy Readers' Corner ♥ discussion

Firefight (The Reckoners, #2)
This topic is about Firefight
BUDDY READ: Dystopian/Sci-Fi > Firefight (The Reckoners #2) by Brandon Sanderson - Restarting April 15th 2020

Comments Showing 1-49 of 49 (49 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments Babylon Restored, formerly Manhattan, may give David answers. Ruled by the mysterious High Epic, Regalia, David is sure Babylon Restored will lead him to what he needs to find. And while entering another city oppressed by a High Epic despot is a gamble, David's willing to risk it. Because killing Steelheart left a hole in David's heart. A hole where his thirst for vengeance once lived. Somehow, he filled that hole with another Epic—Firefight. And he's willing to go on a quest darker, and more dangerous even, than the fight against Steelheart to find her, and to get his answers.

message 2: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments ************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★

Date changed. Restarting February 6th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

message 3: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments I'm running a little late on this one but will be starting it tomorrow :)

message 4: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily (galvadonexnorta) | 217 comments Just finished Steelheart so I can also start this tomorrow.

message 5: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments Lily wrote: "Just finished Steelheart so I can also start this tomorrow."

Awesome :) I'll be jumping into it this afternoon.

Karen Barber | 10142 comments Just finished Steelheart and waiting for my library copy of Firefight to come in.

message 7: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily (galvadonexnorta) | 217 comments Part 1- The beginning seems to be starting off a bit predictably. Have they mentioned Regalia’s powers or are they yet to be found out? I’m wondering if we will meet other branches of the Reckoners at some point.

message 8: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily (galvadonexnorta) | 217 comments I’m enjoying Obliteration and Regalia. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10142 comments Part 1. Yes, it does seem a little obvious here. Like a reminder of book one but just dropping a few hints.

message 10: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments I'm running SUPER late on this BR as I thought my library hold would have come in by now. I have the book and am going to start this one, tomorrow :)

message 11: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily (galvadonexnorta) | 217 comments That’s fine. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10142 comments I’m still reading it but got caught up with some family stuff. Part way through part two-introduction to Regalia is interesting.

Karen Barber | 10142 comments Part two. Curious to see what Prof is planning. Increasingly irritated by the fact that Sanderson has David referring to metaphors when he’s using similes - how did nobody spot this?

Karen Barber | 10142 comments Lily wrote: "I’m enjoying Obliteration and Regalia.

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10142 comments Lily wrote: "That’s fine. [spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

message 16: by Lily (new) - added it

Lily (galvadonexnorta) | 217 comments Karen wrote: "Lily wrote: "That’s fine. [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10142 comments Up to part four. (view spoiler)

Karen Barber | 10142 comments Well, that didn't quite go as I'd expected. Some great moments, but - overall - this was unevenly paced. Full review on home page, but I have been left interested enough to read Calamity and see if things take the turn I'm expecting.

message 19: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments Just starting on this one :)

Karen Barber | 10142 comments I’ve enjoyed this series more than I expected to. They’re paced quite well, and easy to read. Can’t wait to see what you make of this. I’m waiting for my copy of Mistborn 1 from the library...

message 21: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments I read The Final Empire last month and ADORED IT. I'm currently reading The Well of Ascension and it is just as good so far. I hope you enjoy the series as much as I am :)

message 22: by Dannii (last edited Feb 19, 2020 03:28PM) (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments First quarter - (view spoiler)

message 23: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments Lily wrote: "Part 1- The beginning seems to be starting off a bit predictably. Have they mentioned Regalia’s powers or are they yet to be found out? I’m wondering if we will meet other branches of the Reckoners..."

Oooh that would be interesting, to meet other branches!

message 24: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments Second quarter - (view spoiler)

message 25: by Dannii (last edited Feb 19, 2020 05:27PM) (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments Third quarter - (view spoiler)

message 26: by Dannii (last edited Feb 19, 2020 05:28PM) (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments Fourth quarter - (view spoiler)

message 27: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments Lily wrote: "I’m enjoying Obliteration and Regalia. [spoilers removed]"

I really liked Mizzy, too.

message 28: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments Karen wrote: "Lily wrote: "That’s fine. [spoilers removed]"

[spoilers removed]"

Those were exactly my thoughts when reading this part, too!

message 29: by Dannii (new)

Dannii Elle (danniiellereads) | 8328 comments Karen wrote: "Well, that didn't quite go as I'd expected. Some great moments, but - overall - this was unevenly paced. Full review on home page, but I have been left interested enough to read Calamity and see if..."

I completely anticipated this going a different way too, but it's left me excited to continue with book three.

Sarah Elizabeth (bookworm_sarah) | 83364 comments Mod
************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Date changed. Restarting April 15th 2020. Happy Reading ☺

Amanda Baker | 177 comments I'm going to join in! Just have to finish book one real quick!

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments Started a couple days early. Just finished chapter 9.
(view spoiler)

Amanda Baker | 177 comments For some reason I thought we were strting this earlier so I thought I missed it! Just started today:
(view spoiler)

Elena Granger | 601 comments I was quite busy recently, going to start in a couple of days, sorry :(

Amanda Baker | 177 comments Philosophy on living life with Epics
(view spoiler)

Amanda Baker | 177 comments Ouch (view spoiler)

Amanda Baker | 177 comments Quirks wrote: "Started a couple days early. Just finished chapter 9.
[spoilers removed]"

(view spoiler)

Amanda Baker | 177 comments Is it me, or is this not Sanderson's best? It is good, but IDK, maybe I am just used to his epic fantacies/space travel? LOL

Amanda Baker | 177 comments Finished (view spoiler)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments Chapter 26
(view spoiler)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments Chapter 35
(view spoiler)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments Amanda wrote: "Is it me, or is this not Sanderson's best? It is good, but IDK, maybe I am just used to his epic fantacies/space travel? LOL"

No, Sanderson's definitely got better books. It's the weakest in terms of originality, at least, when it comes to the world-building. But I still like the series.

Amanda Baker | 177 comments Quirks wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Is it me, or is this not Sanderson's best? It is good, but IDK, maybe I am just used to his epic fantacies/space travel? LOL"

No, Sanderson's definitely got better books. It's the w..."

I do too, a few months ago, I read the last book first, and like these are really good stand alones even if you don't fully know some of the characters pasts.

Elena Granger | 601 comments I finally managed to start reading Mitosis (it's a small 1.5 book in the series) and right after that going to read Firefight.

Elena Granger | 601 comments Chapter 11 I love the setting and also the idea, but compared to other Sanderson's works this one is weak :( I do enjoy reading, but something is always missing.
(view spoiler)

Quirks (quirkyopinions) | 7167 comments Amanda wrote: "Quirks wrote: "Amanda wrote: "Is it me, or is this not Sanderson's best? It is good, but IDK, maybe I am just used to his epic fantacies/space travel? LOL"

No, Sanderson's definitely got better bo..."

Wait, you read Calamity first? That might have been a bad idea since you'd already know most of the things revealed.

Elena Granger | 601 comments 50% Still ok, but nothing special. Definitely not his best series.
(view spoiler)
Looking forward to read more today.

Elena Granger | 601 comments 50-85%
I'm going to finish reading today. Nothing changed, pretty boring and predictable plot. I still like some parts, main ideas, though not the story. Disappointed and hope the final parts of this book and the next book will be better.

message 49: by Elena (last edited May 01, 2020 04:21AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Elena Granger | 601 comments Finished
The ending was good!
(view spoiler)