Beta Reader Group discussion

Betas Offering FREE Services > Available Beta Reader for YA and NA Fantasy and Contemporary Romance

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

courtney ♡ librarycutie (librarycutie) Hello! I’m Courtney and currently looking to beta-read for free! I’ve been reading and reviewing books for years and if you’re looking for a reader to critique your work and give you honest and thorough feedback on your writing, characters, and plot—i’m your girl!

I have a bookish platform on instagram called @librarycutie where I started my love of reading, and last year I read a lot of disappointing reads and it gave me a much more critical perspective. So, I thought it was time to put my critical reading to use to help you finish that book or chapters and get closer to being published!

I’m mostly interested in Young Adult and New Adult Fantasy, Contemporary Romance, and Paranormal, as they’re my favorite. (bonus points if they have lgbtq+ representation)

Some of my favorite books are: Six of Crows by Leigh Bardugo, it’s such a dark and gritty story that honestly had me hooked the moment I met Kaz Brekker. Serpent & Dove by Shelby Mahurin, a story of a witch hunter and witch being forced to marry… honestly that enough had me sold. History is All You Left Me by Adam Silvera, a whirlwind of a book dealing with mental health and loss and acceptance and the way the story was written in both past and present really made you see it in a different way.

Good luck to all you writers out there, I’ll check this thread regularly and get back to you if your blurb/synopsis catches my eye. (and thank you in advance for considering me a beta reader.)

message 2: by Molly (last edited Jan 20, 2020 08:13PM) (new)

Molly Stegall (mollystegall) | 168 comments Hello, I have recently finished my Fantasy book: Ashes of Revenge (107,410 words). I would describe this as a YA Fantasy book and would love to have a Beta Reader(s) read and review it! If you would only be willing/able to do a chapter or two that is fine as well!
Thank you!

In the land of Fantacia, there are five Kingdoms that rule over all, each having its own species: Farian, Monstro, Mundus, Shifter, and Telik. The Kingdom's are constantly at odds and have been on the brink of war for years.

Hoping to take advantage of the Kingdom's disheveled state is Raven, a Mundus that has three-fourths of her body burned. Richard, a Farian with wings as dark as the night and an unmatched skillset with a sword. Colt, a Shifter with two different colored eyes who escaped the Shifter Kingdom and has unmatched fighting skills.

The small group wishes nothing more than to take over the Kingdom's and claim the thrones for themselves. However, one day Raven runs into the entity of Death, and he forces them to derail their plan and follow his, unknown to Richard and Colt. Raven has to go to the Kingdom that she never wanted to see again, the Mundus Kingdom. There, the group's secrets and pasts begin to slowly rise to the surface, threatning their plans. Raven is forced to do as Death says, which begins to take a physical and mental toll on Raven. However, they still have one goal - revenge.

Please PM me :)

message 3: by L.D. (new)

L.D. Walters | 1 comments Courtney ♡ librarycutie wrote: "Hello! I’m Courtney and currently looking to beta-read for free! I’ve been reading and reviewing books for years and if you’re looking for a reader to critique your work and give you honest and tho..."

I need a beta reader for my novel. If you need a synopsis, I'll be happy to send it to you in a dm or email.

Book genre: low fantasy/historical fiction

Word count: 58,633

Pov: 3rd, told in three povs

Sex: clean

Violence level: PG-13

message 4: by Diego (new)

Diego Salazar | 2 comments I wrote a fairy tale. 80,000 words. It's called Bellmaker (inspired by my great grandfather who was a bellmaker in Mexico.

It's about a young, war-weary bellmaker who returns to the home of his childhood, only to get wrapped up with moon magic, princesses, and more.

Easy reading, written for fun. Freshly edited.

message 5: by Richard (new)

Richard Barry | 24 comments Hi Courtney,
I'm sure you're going to be inundated with requests. Mine is a 62 000 word YA fantasy - I'll tag my tentative query and you can see if it has the vibe that might appeal to your reading tastes.

‘All’s not well in Everwell’ is a YA fantasy of 62 000 words.
No oracle chose him. No king claims him as a bastard son. A tinkerer rather than a terminator, he is the default setting in a high stakes game. Silvanius von Stumpff, failed fashionista and novice sorcerer of average abilities is currently sent home on leave (read suspended) from the academy of Conjurations and Magicks. Which is a blessing for the queendom of Everwell.
His beloved queendom is about to be invaded by a northern prince and a horde of unstoppable mammosaurs. Concealed within the invader’s ranks is an unbeatable alien mage who plays a double game. The fate of Everwell and the world will reside in the hands of a beta mage in an alpha confrontation. Luckily, Silvie is not alone. The kickass princesses of House Roland and a pair of bling-loving, delinquent dragons will guide his hand. While a mad mage, trapped inside his familiar, helps and hinders him.
War. Death. Exploding pumpkins. His own twisted foot. Silvie must survive them all and be prepared to sacrifice himself and those he loves to fulfil his duty.
Either way, thanks for putting yourself forward as a beta reader.

Cheers
Richard

Tiffany Reutebuch | 3 comments I have written a new adult fantasy that sits just over 94,000 words. Here's my tentative query!

Everything in life comes from the choices you make. 
My father… He made the wrong one.
Now, I am his worst nightmare.
A survivor.

Put through hell by her Father's hands Sylva struggles to deal with the ever present memories of her past. Her only solice comes from the one who has been there through it all, Leon, but as his feelings for her grow she finds herself struggling to understand her own. Naturally thats when trouble strikes! As visions begin to intrude upon her nightmares she finds herself forced into action along with a grumpy mage, a peculiar knight, a studious dragon, and the two biggest members of Crystal Heart, the local mage guild. Her father aims to take a crown that rightfully belongs to Leon, a Prince the world believes to be dead, she knows it is only a matter of time before he gets his wish, but, even with her visions, the future remains uncertain. All she knows is that if her father takes the crown, millions will die.

You will probably have tons of offers, but if you're ever interested please let me know! I really want to thank you for putting yourself out there as a beta reader. It means so much to aspiring writers to see people like you actively seeking to read their writings!

message 7: by Isabella (new)

Isabella Harron | 3 comments Courtney ♡ librarycutie wrote: "Hello! I’m Courtney and currently looking to beta-read for free! I’ve been reading and reviewing books for years and if you’re looking for a reader to critique your work and give you honest and tho..."

Hello Courtney, I have my new novel, 118,000 words. Time to be the Better Man. Contemporary Romance with added suspense.
I am seeking a beta-reader, I appreciate your interest.
Blurb:
When Nathaniel Arias first met Charles Calthorpe, as a potential customer for his growing landscape business, he hated every minute. From the whiskey on Mr. Calthorpe's breath to the sway in his step, Nate searched for the appropriate excuse to leave. It was on the tip of his tongue to decline to job, that was until she pulled into the driveway sending her children running into the house. Her anger was all too apparent when she caught sight of Nate. His expectation that the Mrs., would mirror the wealthy Mr., but he was wrong.
Tara Calthorpe was as opposite as opposites can be, from her messy pony-tail to her work uniform and worn tennis shoes. After she released her anger and smiled, Nate melted. When the man of the house staggered down the street forgetting the meeting or the deposit check, Nate had no choice but to stay. One look into her sad blue eyes and he was lost. When Tara's life is turned upside down, Nate has to make a choice if he is committed to being the better man.
Isabella.harron@aol.com

message 8: by Shelby (new)

Shelby (shelbay9) | 34 comments Hi Courtney!

I have a contemporary romance. Below is the synopsis. Please DM me or email me at shelbyholt9@gmail.com. Thanks!

Shelby

Clementine has always dealt with her emotions head on. When she meets Jackson her emotions take a backseat as her head focuses on what a perfect match Jackson truly is. He has the looks, the family, the stability, but most importantly he’s the reliability in Clementine’s life that she’s always imagined. When she meets Jackson’s best friend, Oliver, her emotions start to unfold like a budding rose slowly pealing back. Oliver is opposite, however. He is everything Clementine doesn’t need. She has goals, and she has a plan, and Oliver doesn’t have either. Clementine’s life is structured and well-thought-out, but with Oliver she doesn’t have to think about the future in such detail. Every side has their own story, which means Clementine, Oliver, and Jackson might see things a bit different from one another.

message 9: by Rabitini (new)

Rabitini | 4 comments Hello, I would really appreciated it if you you took the time to read my manuscript!
It’s a 83K Fantasy novel.

🍃A CROWN OF LILIES 🍃

It’s a Great Gatsby x fairy tale retelling set at a Medieval Convention on a remote Swedish island. 🇸🇪🏰✨💕⚔️👑
Additional thing:
- It’s based on a Swedish fairy tale Agneta and the Sea King

Seminar Tutor Agneta’s feet never stop bleeding for reasons neither she nor doctors can explain. One day she receives an email offering her students to volunteer at Gotland’s annual Medieval Week in return for recommendation letters from a leading academic with all expenses taken care of. There is only one condition, that Agneta joins them on the trip and supervises the students across several activities.
Medieval Week is under fire, it’s mysterious organizer Jon Loke is accused of being frivolous because of the amount of money spent on a festival, and all the local museums are attacking him for twisting history into a very unusual, fantastical direction…
But if Jon Loke’s version of Gotland’s history is offensive and clearly fictional, then why does Agneta feel so drawn to it in a way she can only feel but not explain?

COMMENT if you are interested

message 10: by Nadia (new)

Nadia Hi Courtney,

Mora has a special knack for finding murderers. Since the age of twelve, Mora’s witnessed people murdered in her head and now that she’s older those nightmares are coming true.

With only a small journal full of unjust memories, Moras began a self-imposed mission to save the victims of her past from their future fates. When the next victim on the list is revealed, a clean cut business man with a mysterious edge, Moras task becomes more complicated than ever before. With an endless list of suspects and a short window of time, Mora doesn’t know if she can save this man from his ill-fated death, but she’s going to give it hell.

Will her memories be enough to save him?

MORA’S MIND is a paranormal mystery novel that I need reviews for. It’s complete at only 60k words right now, but I’m totally ready to put some much needed advice to use and fill in or expand where needed! Please let me know if you’re interested. Thank you!

-Nadia

message 11: by Jenelle (new)

Jenelle Theis | 51 comments Hi, I am looking for beta readers for my completed YA Fantasy, currently at 103,129 words. Here is the blurb I have been working on:

Shayleen Cooper doesn't think she’s different or unique. Just another normal seventeen-year-old who doesn't fit in. Until the eerie night, she meets the monsters that show her just how different she really is.
She has no idea what is real anymore, including her own sanity. “Family history,” she’s sure the Docs will say, as they throw her in a padded room.
As she's launched deeper in this unknown world, Shay has no choice but to fight.
No big deal, right? All that stands in her way is her imprisonment, hordes of beasts, shifters, and an unknown civilization living amongst them. All hell-bent on killing her.
She discovers her unconventional family along the way, and the boy she just can’t have. But don’t they know to stay away from her? Everyone she cares about ends up dead or forever altered…

*Violence and some gore as well as light profanity.
Message me if interested.

message 12: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 2 comments What happens when an uptight, liberal, misanthrope gets tricked into renting a room in a raucous cowboy party house? She falls in love of course. My contemporary romance novel, weighing in at about 70,000 words, is a fast paced humorous look at what happens when cultures collide in a campus town, with far too much binge drinking, and the kind of cowboy young women go to war for.

message 13: by James (new)

James Cubby | 15 comments Greetings,, I am looking for beta readers for my 69,000 word YA Adventure titled MOB TREASURE. Inspired by Meyer “The Mob’s Accountant” Lanksy’s rumored hiding of millions of dollars, and the hunt to find it. Think National Treasure meets The Last Treasure. (A modern day Treasure Island where the pirates are mobsters.)

Fifteen-year-old Joey Lasky lives in a fantasy world of mafia kingpins and hitmen fueled by stories from his grandfather. In reality, he’s afraid of his own shadow and jumps at the sound of a closing locker – imagining it a gunshot. Now he feels lost and more alone as his beloved grandfather has died.

Armed with a book – Treasure Island - filled with clues sent to him after his grandfather’s death, Joey and his best friend fly to Miami to search for the hidden “treasure.” Joey knows the hunt will be dangerous because his grandfather was a notorious mob boss and the new mob boss has threatened him. Claiming the hidden money is theirs, the mob will stop at nothing to get it, including killing anyone who stands in their way.

message 14: by Marie (new)

Marie McKoy (mariemckoy) | 5 comments Hi, Courtney. I’d like to interest you in my 95K word YA nostalgic romance inspired by the life of the French Empress Josephine set at a 1990s suburban high school. More at www.mariemckoy.com.

Thanks.
Marie

message 15: by Katie (new)

Katie | 7 comments Hi there!

I'm looking for Beta Readers for my completed (118K words) New Adult SFF novel, A Comet among the Stars. Brief description below. Please message me if you may be interested! Thanks!

In a world where humans with superhuman abilities (Outliers) are hunted down for what they are, Finley Cooper is perfectly content with her normal life as, well, a Normal. Despite her best efforts, she finds herself falling for one of the bounty hunters tasked with hunting Outliers, the Reapers - a group that has been hated and feared since the end of the War. Logan is Fin's first love, but he's hiding things from her, things that could tear them apart, and he may not be exactly what he seems...

Soon Fin's world is shattered. She discovers that she's not a Normal after all - far from it. She's the most powerful outlier ever to exist, her powers hidden from her all her life. Now on the run for her life from the Department, she has to fight through heartbreak, loss, and betrayal to learn to control the unparalleled power within her. The question is: is there such a thing as too much power?