The Sword and Laser discussion

In the Company of Others > ITCOO: A Mixed Bag

Comments Showing 1-12 of 12 (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4071 comments Finished this book a while ago. Found it pretty much average. Decent insomnia reading, kept me involved in the world, but didn't deliver on promises made

Spoiler protected below for the digest readers, so expect full book spoilers within the spoilertext.

(view spoiler)

message 2: by Lee (new)

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) completely agree with what you said about the first half of the book on the station makes me want to read the expanse even more and the big scale ambition that did not deliver.

message 3: by Lee (new)

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) one though I had on Gail's romance with Aaron I wanted to ask the group. how much was Gail affected by Aaron "quill effect"? hard to grasp his abilities but I think survival through empathy sums it up. was Gail in love or under this effect?

message 4: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 4183 comments I'm struggling to get into it. I think I'm only on page 45 or so and I just don't want to read it. I listened to what they said on the podcast and I'm trying to give it a chance, but I just don't care about any of them.

message 5: by John (Taloni) (new)

John (Taloni) Taloni (johntaloni) | 4071 comments Terkpristin: This might be a good one to skim through. The ending is pretty interesting. IMO you won't miss a lot if you skim the middle 50%

Lee: I really love that idea. What if...(taking it to spoilers) (view spoiler)

message 6: by Jan (new)

Jan | 427 comments Lee wrote: "how much was Gail affected by Aaron "quill effect"? hard to grasp his abilities but I think survival through empathy sums it up. was Gail in love or under this effect?"

Interesting thought. I never really felt that him being very well liked was part of his powers. But Gail definitely crossed some ethical lines with this romance...

message 7: by Lee (new)

Lee  (the Book Butcher) (butcherfromgeorgia) you're probably right John, I like you was confused how and driven brilliant woman throws everything away for a seemingly average man, you could convince me that Malley is a exceptional individual but the only exceptional thing about Aaron is the quill. but rather than Czenda adding a foil only I see, she probably just had a editor ask her where is the love.

message 8: by AndrewP (new)

AndrewP (andrewca) | 2501 comments This first half of the book reminded me of another S&L pick Downbelow Station.

message 9: by James (new)

James Thomas | 29 comments Lee wrote: "one though I had on Gail's romance with Aaron I wanted to ask the group. how much was Gail affected by Aaron "quill effect"? hard to grasp his abilities but I think survival through empathy sums it..."

I had the same thought. That "romance" just developed too fast for no apparent reason. I think it would have felt more normal after the two characters had interacted more outside the lab.

Overall I enjoyed the book but like others the world building and station portion was more interesting to me than back end of the book.

message 10: by Clyde (new)

Clyde (wishamc) | 428 comments AndrewP wrote: "This first half of the book reminded me of another S&L pick Downbelow Station."

A stellar recommendation!

message 11: by William (new)

William | 429 comments OK, so some people find it hard to believe that the great mind of Gail would fall for "OK" level Aaron.

Sometimes a guy isn't that attractive, special or bright, yet an amazing woman inexplicably falls for them.

I have no other explanation for the existence of my wife.

message 12: by Iain (new)

Iain Bertram (iain_bertram) | 1415 comments Hmm, I read this as a good version of Vessel....