Play Book Tag discussion

The Lager Queen of Minnesota
This topic is about The Lager Queen of Minnesota
Archive: Other Books > The Lager Queen of Minnesota by J.Ryan Stradal - 5* and a BIG MINNESOTA HEART

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Doughgirl5562 | 754 comments (Cross posted to Poll Ballet Tally)

I LOVED this book - as did every single person in my Minnesota book club. I wanted to reach through the pages and give Edith and Diana - and even Helen - big bear hugs.

Yes, this novel is about beer. And I learned quite a few things about making beer. I could probably sound knowledgeable about making craft beer at a party now - throwing around words like hoppy, wort, and secondary fermentation LOL.

But really, this novel is about relationships - and hard work - and Minnesota / Midwest values - and forgiveness, and, well, LIFE.

If this book is on your TBR, Bump It Up! If it's not on your TBR, add it!

Additional Note: My Minnesota book club is a bookclub with a purpose. We read Minnesota books for the purpose of choosing our city's book of the year - the Plymouth Reads book. But the Plymouth library takes it further than most cities' annual reads. The Plymouth Reads program not only sponsors a city-wide read, they bring in the author and schedule multiple other events around the theme of the book. And we had a lot of fun thinking about possible events themed around this book :-)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5576 comments Oh, this review makes me feel all warm and toasty! (I was born in Minnesota and haven't been back in a long time.) I've had this on my tbr since it was on the giveaway list.

Craft beers are really big where I live now too. I've been to a few parties held in breweries/restaurants that offer a wide variety of beers to taste. (Blueberry beer is surprisingly good.) I'm going to get two copies and read it with my husband.

I think my Thursday night bookclub would like it too. We like to bring extra resources or props related to the books we're reading. So of course, we'd have to bring some beer to taste.

Holly R W | 1388 comments I liked this book too, as well as the author's first book, "Kitchens of the Great Midwest".

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2223 comments I recently finishedKitchens of the Great Midwest and hope to read this one soon.