Play Book Tag discussion

January 2020: Thriller > The Late Show by Michael Connelly - 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Charlie (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 493 comments This is the first in a new series about a female police detective that works the graveyard shift in the Hollywood division of LA. It's a mystery so I won't get into the plot but know it's multi-faceted but not too convoluted. I liked this book but didn't love it (like I did Blood Work). Although I've read many books like this (Police/Mystery/Thriller) this one was VERY "procedural" which I think made the main character come across as wooden and robotic. Although she has a backstory, both it and she seemed contrived and stereotypical to me. The pace quickened as the book picked up steam which helped but it wasn't until the last 150 pages or so (I'm guessing b/c I listened to it) that it bumped up to my 3 star rating. I think I may pass on this series go-forward.

message 2: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 20, 2020 04:40PM) (new)

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 5582 comments Charlie wrote: "This is the first in a new series about a female police detective that works the graveyard shift in the Hollywood division of LA. It's a mystery so I won't get into the plot but know it's multi-fac..."

I liked this book more than you did, but I just read the next book in the series - Dark Sacred Night - and I didn't like it as much. It's more procedural, and she has even less personality, so I don't think you'll miss anything by skipping it. I haven't read a lot by this author, but so far I don't think any of his female characters have been very interesting. I didn't read his early books so I don't have the residual love built up like other readers might have for the author. (Or maybe he's using other writers like many older authors seem to be doing.)

Oddly though, I liked the procedural details of the next book more than the characters. They showed me a really logical step by step method of police work that I haven't read (or seen) elsewhere. It appealed to the puzzle solving part of my brain.

message 3: by Olivermagnus (new)

Olivermagnus (lynda214) | 2224 comments I didn't like the Renee character at all when I read this book. I do like the way Connelly integrated Bosch and Renee in the next two books, but probably because I love the whole Harry Bosch series.