2021 & 2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE 2020 > Meera's 150+ Books in 2020

Comments Showing 1-25 of 25 (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Meera (last edited Jan 20, 2020 01:03PM) (new)

Meera | 36 comments I'm happy to have found a group where having a challenge to read 100-200 books is ok and not out of the ordinary! It's 150 right now but as the year goes, I'll probably change it to more. Here goes my list so far:

message 3: by Meera (last edited Mar 06, 2020 04:23AM) (new)

message 4: by Meera (last edited Apr 01, 2020 09:27AM) (new)

Meera | 36 comments March (Current Total : 56)

1.Nine Dragons by Michael Connelly - ★★★
2. Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter ★★1/2
3. The Legion of Flame by Anthony Ryan ★★★★1/2
4. Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates ★★★★
5. The Empire of Ashes byAnthony Ryan ★★★★
6. The Butterfly Girl by Rene Denfeld ★★★
7. The Drop by Michael Connelly ★★★
8. Queen of Shadows by Sarah J. Maas ★★★★1/2
9. Smoke Bitten by Patricia Briggs - ★★★★
10. Things in Jars by Jess Kidd - ★★★
11. Empire of Storms by Sarah J. Maas - ★★★★1/2
12. Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jalaluddin - ★★★
13. Bringing Down the Duke by Evie Dunmore - ★★★★
14. The Line Between by Tosca Lee - ★★★★Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead
15. The Black Box - ★★★★
16. Blood on the Tracks - ★★★★
17. Dead Stop - ★★★1/2
18. The Burning Room - ★★★★
19. Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead - ★★★★
20. Ambush - ★★★★

Nine Dragons (Harry Bosch, #14; Harry Bosch Universe, #20) by Michael Connelly Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter The Legion of Flame (The Draconis Memoria #2) by Anthony Ryan Between the World and Me by Ta-Nehisi Coates The Empire of Ashes (The Draconis Memoria, #3) by Anthony Ryan The Butterfly Girl (Naomi Cottle, #2) by Rene Denfeld The Drop (Harry Bosch, #15; Harry Bosch Universe, #23) by Michael Connelly Queen of Shadows (Throne of Glass, #4) by Sarah J. Maas Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12) by Patricia Briggs Things in Jars by Jess Kidd Empire of Storms (Throne of Glass, #5) by Sarah J. Maas Ayesha at Last by Uzma Jalaluddin Bringing Down the Duke (A League of Extraordinary Women, #1) by Evie Dunmore The Line Between (The Line Between #1) by Tosca Lee The Black Box (Harry Bosch, #16; Harry Bosch Universe, #24) by Michael Connelly Blood on the Tracks (Sydney Rose Parnell, #1) by Barbara Nickless Dead Stop (Sydney Rose Parnell, #2) by Barbara Nickless The Burning Room (Harry Bosch, #17; Harry Bosch Universe, #26) by Michael Connelly Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk Ambush (Sydney Rose Parnell, #3) by Barbara Nickless

message 5: by Meera (last edited May 01, 2020 11:56AM) (new)

Meera | 36 comments April
Current Total: 84

1. The Cruel Prince by Holly Black ★★★★
2. The Wicked King by Holly Black ★★★★
3. The Queen of Nothing by Holly Black ★★★★
4. Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie ★★★★★
5. Ancillary Sword by Ann Leckie★★★★★
6. Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie ★★★★1/2
7. A Merciful Death by Kendra Elliot ★★
8. Suspect by Michael Robotham ★★★
9. Lost by Michael Robotham ★★★
10. The Friend by Sigrid Nunez ★★★
11. The Lies We Told by Camilla Way ★★
12. You Are Not Alone ★★★★
13. Hades★★★
14. The Keeper of Lost Things ★★★★
15. Why Kings Confess ★★★
16. Adulthood Is a Myth ★★★★
17. Big Mushy Happy Lump ★★★
18. Herding Cats ★★★
19. Where the Forest Meets the Stars ★★★★
20. Wool Omnibus ★★★
21. The Universe Versus Alex Woods ★★★★
22. The Dreamers ★★★
23. An Artless Demise ★★★
24. The Crossing ★★★★
25. Burial Rites ★★★★
26. The Grace Year ★★★★
27. The Banker’s Wife ★★★
The Cruel Prince (The Folk of the Air, #1) by Holly Black The Wicked King (The Folk of the Air, #2) by Holly Black The Queen of Nothing (The Folk of the Air, #3) by Holly Black Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch #2) by Ann Leckie Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch, #3) by Ann Leckie A Merciful Death (Mercy Kilpatrick, #1) by Kendra Elliot Suspect (Joseph O'Loughlin, #1) by Michael Robotham Lost (Joseph O'Loughlin #2) by Michael Robotham The Friend by Sigrid Nunez The Lies We Told by Camilla Way You Are Not Alone by Greer Hendricks The Keeper of Lost Things by Ruth Hogan Hades (Archer & Bennett, #1) by Candice Fox Why Kings Confess (Sebastian St. Cyr #9) by C.S. Harris Adulthood Is a Myth (Sarah's Scribbles, #1) by Sarah Andersen Big Mushy Happy Lump (Sarah's Scribbles, #2) by Sarah Andersen Where the Forest Meets the Stars by Glendy Vanderah Herding Cats (Sarah's Scribbles, #3) by Sarah Andersen Wool Omnibus (Silo, #1) by Hugh Howey The Universe Versus Alex Woods by Gavin Extence The Dreamers by Karen Thompson Walker An Artless Demise (Lady Darby Mystery #7) by Anna Lee Huber The Crossing (Harry Bosch, #18; Mickey Haller, #6; Harry Bosch Universe, #27) by Michael Connelly Burial Rites by Hannah Kent The Grace Year by Kim Liggett The Banker’s Wife by Cristina Alger

message 6: by Meera (last edited May 31, 2020 09:47AM) (new)

message 9: by Meera (last edited Aug 04, 2020 09:52AM) (new)

message 10: by Meera (new)

Meera | 36 comments September

message 11: by Meera (new)

Meera | 36 comments October

message 12: by Meera (new)

Meera | 36 comments November

message 13: by Meera (new)

Meera | 36 comments December

message 14: by Meera (new)

Meera | 36 comments I finished January with 19 books. That's more than I thought I could have.

My favorites were: Red at the Bone by Jacqueline Woodson The Ten Thousand Doors of January by Alix E. Harrow and The Arab of the Future A Childhood in the Middle East, 1978-1984 A Graphic Memoir by Riad Sattouf

Didn't care for The Long Way Home (Chief Inspector Armand Gamache, #10) by Louise Penny (I know people love this series and I usually do but didn't in this case) and Murder on Union Square (Gaslight Mystery, #21) by Victoria Thompson (same with this one).

message 15: by Meera (last edited Mar 06, 2020 04:26AM) (new)

Meera | 36 comments I finished February with 17 books.

Favorite of Month: The Waking Fire (The Draconis Memoria, #1) by Anthony Ryan The Waking Fire and Flamecaster series
Worst of Month: The Council (Darkness, #5) by K.F. Breene The Council and Someone We Know by Shari Lapena
Biggest Surprise of Month: Hellbent (Orphan X, #3) by Gregg Hurwitz Hellbent

message 16: by Meera (new)

Meera | 36 comments I finished March with 20 books. I had a lot more time in my hands this month like most and finished some long books in series.

The Empire of Ashes (The Draconis Memoria, #3) by Anthony Ryan was my favorite.
Grief is the Thing with Feathers by Max Porter was the worst of the month. It wasn't a bad book but not as enjoyable as the rest.
Drive Your Plow Over the Bones of the Dead by Olga Tokarczuk was a pleasant surprise.

message 17: by Meera (new)

Meera | 36 comments I finished April with 27 books. Some of them were graphic novels. It was a month with some really good books and some not so good ones.

Ancillary Justice (Imperial Radch #1) by Ann Leckie Ancillary Sword (Imperial Radch #2) by Ann Leckie Ancillary Mercy (Imperial Radch, #3) by Ann Leckie were my favorite books and some of my favorite books for the year so far.

The Lies We Told by Camilla Way - This was my worst read for the month. I had another 2 star read but this one annoyed me the most.

message 18: by Meera (last edited May 31, 2020 09:54AM) (new)

Meera | 36 comments I finished May with 27 books too. I read some really good books this month.
Network Effect (The Murderbot Diaries, #5) by Martha Wells Witchmark (The Kingston Cycle, #1) by C.L. Polk and Linesman (Linesman, #1) by S.K. Dunstall series were some excellent and fun sci-fi and fantasy books.
The Enchanted by Rene Denfeld The Vegetarian by Han Kang were thought-provokingly good.
The Current by Tim Johnston Out of the Dark (Orphan X, #4) by Gregg Andrew Hurwitz were good mystery and action books.
I Will Make You Pay by Teresa Driscoll True Fiction (Ian Ludlow Thrillers #1) by Lee Goldberg were the worst of the month.

message 19: by Meera (new)

Meera | 36 comments I finished June with 24 books! My total is now 134 books.

The House in the Cerulean Sea by T.J. Klune Lost Children Archive by Valeria Luiselli were my favorite reads.
Deception Cove (Neah Bay, #1) by Owen Laukkanen Into the Fire (Orphan X, #5) by Gregg Andrew Hurwitz In the Dark (DI Adam Fawley, #2) by Cara Hunter Girl Gone Viral (Modern Love, #2) by Alisha Rai were fun reads.
Last Lullaby (Detective Natalie Ward, #2) by Carol Wyer Dear Girls Intimate Tales, Untold Secrets, & Advice for Living Your Best Life by Ali Wong were the most disappointing.

message 20: by Meera (last edited Aug 04, 2020 09:53AM) (new)

Meera | 36 comments I finished July with 22 books with total of 156 books.

I had read some really good books in a variety of genres, my favorites being Valentine by Elizabeth Wetmore and The Dearly Beloved by Cara Wall . The worst being Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys .

message 21: by Meera (new)

Meera | 36 comments I'm way behind in keeping this up to date but I am at 218 books right now! Link to my challenge: https://www.goodreads.com/user_challe...

My favorite books since my last update is The Girl with the Louding Voice by Abi Daré and The Thursday Murder Club (Thursday Murder Club, #1) by Richard Osman .

message 22: by Meera (new)

Meera | 36 comments I made it to 235 books this year! This is the most I've ever read in a year! This is due to our horrible year of course. My favorites since my last update are:
Olive, Again by Elizabeth Strout and Foundryside (The Founders Trilogy #1) by Robert Jackson Bennett

message 23: by Shafinaz (new)

Shafinaz S | 4 comments I wonder how did you manage to read so fabulous number of books... share some tips ?

message 24: by Meera (new)

Meera | 36 comments Well, first I ignore my family completely! No, just kidding. Reading is my hobby and my stress reliever. Whenever I have free time, I am usually reading. I also listen to books when I’m driving or doing chores. I always read before going to bed. I limit my time online and avoid electronics after a certain time. I usually plan out what I’m going to read next while I’m still reading a book. I have access to ebooks through the library system and I take full advantage of that and always have something on hand to read.

I think the key though is that reading is supposed to be fun. I try not to force myself to keep reading something I’m not enjoying or bored with or start something I’m not in the mood for. I’ve found that when I do that, I get into reading slumps. So, I wouldn’t focus on the number of books to read. Just read what you enjoy because that’s what it's all about.

message 25: by Shafinaz (new)

Shafinaz S | 4 comments Hi Meera..
Thank you so much dear..for the reply. Yes, it is for fun! I am going to be more stringent with my time and I really hope this year will be different!

Of course...there are so many great books available in so many forms too.... ahh,,,I hope you will have another great year of reading too!

Take care.