What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > Fantasy set in Michigan/feature the Great Lakes

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Yonkers (new)

Yonkers | 29 comments Looking for some novels set in my home state of Michigan (or at least where the Great Lakes are a major backdrop)! I can think of several sci-fi books and movies that use Michigan (by which I mean Detroit), but fantasy in Michigan is a lot thinner on the ground. About the only one that comes to mind is the Dresden Files--they aren't actually in Michigan, but Lake Michigan is a major setting and gets mentioned all the time. (I think one of the Heroes of Olympus books briefly stops in Detroit... that's the only other one I can think of)

I'm most interested in urban fantasy, but historical would be interesting too! Not particularly interested in horror.

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (last edited Jan 20, 2020 11:20AM) (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2075 comments I was going to suggest the Dresden Files but I see it's too late!

The Cat Who . . . series is set in Michigan (upper peninsula after the first three books or so) but they're only barely fantasy; Koko "solves" mysteries and Qwill gets funny feelings in his mustache, but all can be attributed to natural causes.

Here's a list of books set in Michigan, not limited to fantasy but includes some (e.g. Abby Cooper, Psychic Eye).

message 3: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (cattriona) | 2 comments Have you tried the Heartstrikers series by Rachel Aaron? First book is "Nice Dragons Finish Last". Set in and around Detroit. Amazon carries them.

message 5: by Shel (new)

Shel (shel99) | 3 comments Embers by Laura Bickle is urban fantasy that takes place in Detroit.

message 6: by Joseph (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments Dark Currents by Jacqueline Carey is book 1 in a trilogy that takes place in Pemkowet, Michigan. It is about Daisy Johanssen, who was fathered by an incubus and raised by a single mother and is Hel’s enforcer and the designated liaison to the Pemkowet Police Department. It’s up to her to ensure relations between the mundane and eldritch communities run smoothly.

message 7: by Yonkers (new)

Yonkers | 29 comments I've created a list here and started adding these suggestions to it. Thanks and keep them coming!

message 8: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Your link leads here, Yonkers.

message 9: by Yonkers (new)

Yonkers | 29 comments Oops, looks like I copy-pasted the wrong link! Thanks. Good link is here: https://www.goodreads.com/list/show/1...

message 10: by Rosa (new)

Rosa (rosaiglarsh) | 5231 comments Here is a neat link.

message 11: by Yonkers (new)

Yonkers | 29 comments Bump!