Lit 102 Spring 2020 discussion

Perfect, Imperfect Christmas: A Single Father Romance II (Holiday Romance Book 2)
This topic is about Perfect, Imperfect Christmas
Perfect, Imperfect Christmas

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
Identify a challenge the main character(s) have with a sibling, past lover or treatment from society. How does their reaction towards the challenge reinforce their character traits (speak on behalf of both main characters)?

message 2: by Dillan (last edited Jan 20, 2020 11:09AM) (new)

Dillan | 17 comments In the fifth chapter of Perfect Imperfect Christmas, the author interprets a disconnected scene between Angelica and her bother, Rashad. According to Bliss, " Maybe if you stuck around more often, you would know. But you always have to runoff, get back to your life, sis. I love you, but you did your part as you always point out and it ends the same every time. You leave" (Bliss, 2019, p.17). Rashad feels deserted by his sister not spending time with the family during the holiday seasons, but to Angelica she's not trying to run away from her family; shes just dealing with a lot of grief that's causing her to show distance. Overtime, Angelica becomes courageous of wanting to feel her empty void of withdrawals from her world, so she try's new things to reconstruct her mentality. On the other hand, the author showcases a judgmental scene in chapter two, that correlates to the character Nicholas. Bliss implies, "No one will acknowledge us, hell in Colorado Blacks are microscopic"(Bliss, 2019, p.9). Colorado is the state that Nicholas's wife, Chrissy was from. She was a white women that married a black man, Nicholas. As much as Nicholas hates to go back and visit Georgetown, due to the fact that the majority of the population there are racist white people. He still decides visits because his son Paul wants to keep up with his mothers tradition. Through the struggle of Nicholas getting assailed by racial bickering, he still remains humble.

message 3: by Jaliyah (new) - added it

Jaliyah Webster | 17 comments In Perfect, Imperfect Christmas Nicholas had a very serious challenge he had to over come. He experienced racial profiling in Georgetown,Colorado. The police treated him wrong, and also Chrissy’s family because he was African American. “Oh no, I’m not traveling back to that town.Chrissy’s family is there. They never liked me even after Paul was born”(Bliss, 2018, eBook loc. 122). Nicholas knew if he didn’t go so many people would be mad at him, but he was a very understandable person. He set aside his problems and pass experience and went to Georgetown for Paul, Momma Liz, and he knew Chrissy would love this also. Even though, they treated him unfairly, he still kept a great attitude around everybody in Georgetown. Angelica had a communication disconnect with her sister Zaria. Angelica and her sister Zaria had an argument about their mom being sick, and Angelica left and didn’t speak to Zaria for 4 years. When Angelica sees Zaria she feels bad and guilty for not speaking to her for so long. Bliss uses Zaria to display that family might disagree on things, but at the end of the day that’s still family. “I never wanted you to leave. I’m sorry I didn’t stop you”(Bliss, 2018, eBook loc. 305). Zaria loves her sister. Angelica loves her to but has a hard time saying it, so she walks away. Angelica is mourning different from everybody so she is very emotional and can’t express her feelings. She speaks to her sister Deja to help with the problem and realized Zaria didn’t speak to anyone after their mom’s death. Angelica had to realize they are all grieving. Later she tries to associate herself with the family, because she missed out on so much family time.

message 4: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Ferguson | 13 comments In the novel Perfect Imperfect Christmas by J. Bliss, Nicholas faces a challenge that many in today's society still face. Throughout the text, many scenes of racism occurred mainly with the character Nicholas. Racism played a role in the father's life and also the child's life. Even with Nicholas's wife being the same color as her family, they disowned her. Nicholas was married to a white woman by the name of Chrissy who's family could care less about him. Nicholas having a child with Chrissy, didn't change the racism toward himself. It seems as if Nicholas was assaulted by a predominantly white clan "not long after Chrissy and I got married a group of skinheads attacked me" (Bliss,2019,p.29). When it was time to go to Georgetown colorado, Nicholas didn't want to go because it's where his wife was from, so he'd already known how the culture was in colorado. Racism is still occurring in today's time every day. Despite all of the civil rights movements, people always find a way to make a man feel less than what he is. The color of your skin shouldn't define who is are as an individual but in the eyes of many color matters. I'm not too fond of the idea of racism, but it's the way the world was then and even is still now. Nicholas being as peaceful as he was, he didn't let their ways bother him much. Nic's only concern was his son when it came down to Chrissy's side of the family " She is not worth my time but she had better stay clear of my son" (Bliss,2019,p.14-15).

message 5: by Dillan (new)

Dillan | 17 comments Jaliyah wrote: "In Perfect, Imperfect Christmas Nicholas had a very serious challenge he had to over come. He experienced racial profiling in Georgetown,Colorado. The police treated him wrong, and also Chrissy’s f..."

I totally agree with your statement about Nicholas setting aside his fears to continue his wife's tradition with his son, Paul in Georgetown, Colorado. Nice observation. ( :

message 6: by Jaliyah (new) - added it

Jaliyah Webster | 17 comments Dillan I agree with your statement. After Momma Liz passed Rashad tried to keep the family close, but Angelica is distance, because she’s grieving different from everybody else. Nicholas does set aside his problems for his son Paul, and to keep Chrissy’s traditions alive even in the city that’s racist towards him.

message 7: by Adrian (new)

Adrian Ferguson | 13 comments Dillan wrote: "In the fifth chapter of Perfect Imperfect Christmas, the author interprets a disconnected scene between Angelica and her bother, Rashad. According to Bliss, " Maybe if you stuck around more often, ..."

I agree with your opinion. Rashad mourning the absence of his mother at the same time dealing with Angelica leaving was more than he could bear. On the other hand, Nicholas did have to deal with racism, despite any challenge that came his way he still stood on all ten keeping his peace.

message 8: by Tyzell (new)

Tyzell Richardson | 12 comments I feel a sense that Rashad sees betrayal from his sister Angelica in Chapter 5 where he stated Maybe if you stuck around more often, you would know. But you always have to runoff, get back to your life, sis. I love you, but you did your part as you always point out and it ends the same every time. You leave" (Bliss, 2019, p.17). After losing their mother he only has his sisters so he needs them the most NOW! then he ever needed them before to cope with this loss.

Angelica is like many people in Today's world that when they have lost such a significant person they feel as if they don't need to be bothered with anyone and that's basically what she is going through right now "I lost my mom whats more for me to do" but she didn't make it clear to Rashad that she doesn't want to not be connected it's I'm going through a lot right now with mom being gone and I just need space.

With Rashad, he's kind of in a state of mind like dang I just lost my mom so my sisters are all I got and not my sister Angelica doesn't want to be connected I can't allow her to walk away from family like this.

message 9: by Tyzell (new)

Tyzell Richardson | 12 comments To Adrian, Yes Nic faced a lot of racism in this book for one to know that his wife was white and that she was from a place where it's heavily populated by white was a very courageous move. Then to know that you get comments about the baby was even more uncomfortable

message 10: by Sontez (new)

Sontez Williams | 16 comments In chapter 8 the author displayed a challenge between Nic, Chrissy parents and Chrissy. Bliss said "It took six years for her father to speak to her after we got married and that was only because her mother grew ill"(Bliss, 2019, "Perfect Imperfect Christmas," para 4). Chrissy's parents really didn't care for Nichols because he was black. In the story, Bliss also illustrates "Chrissy parents disowned her claiming my financial status would not offer her the life she was accustomed to"(Bliss, 2019, "Perfect Imperfect Christmas," para 4). Chrissy's parents didn't think that Nichols had enough money to accommodate the life Chrissy used to live. Chrissy's parent's reaction reinforced Nic character trait based on the way he treated her while she was living and the way he raised his son Paul. Nic is being the best single father to Paul he can be and was the best husband to Chrissy he could be.

In chapter 9 Bliss displayed a challenge between Angelica and her sister Zaria. Bliss illustrates "When mother died, I couldn't feel. My soul felt like it was ripped from my being. I called Zaria, she wouldn't answer my call."(Bliss, 2019, "Perfect Imperfect Christmas," para 6).Zaria is the sister that is a piece of work. Zaria is the type of person that feels intitled and I say that because when the mother had got ill Zaria stayed with her, but she was being controlled so that pushed her siblings away.

message 11: by Sontez (new)

Sontez Williams | 16 comments Adrian wrote: "In the novel Perfect Imperfect Christmas by J. Bliss, Nicholas faces a challenge that many in today's society still face. Throughout the text, many scenes of racism occurred mainly with the charact..."

Sontez- I would like to agree with Adrian, people in today's society are facing things that are going on in the book. I feel like that is a good comparison. Racism is still going on today and it's sad to say that our people are still encountering it. In the story, Nic is a strong person to continue to deal with the trouble he encountered with marrying outside his race. Despite the troubles the love for her wife and the love for his son, he stayed strong.

message 12: by J. (new)

Dillan wrote: "In the fifth chapter of Perfect Imperfect Christmas, the author interprets a disconnected scene between Angelica and her bother, Rashad. According to Bliss, " Maybe if you stuck around more often, ..."
Very good observations, you are carrying through well with displaying your support as well as your observations. Keep up the good work!

message 13: by J. (new)

Jaliyah wrote: "In Perfect, Imperfect Christmas Nicholas had a very serious challenge he had to over come. He experienced racial profiling in Georgetown,Colorado. The police treated him wrong, and also Chrissy’s f..."
Your observations are advancing as you continue to practice conveying what you observe from the text. It was nice to see you capture how Angelica begins to transition with asserting herself with family, noting she's missed family time. Very good. I'd like to see you about introducing quotes privately. Nevertheless, keep up the good work being expressive!

message 14: by J. (new)

Adrian wrote: "In the novel Perfect Imperfect Christmas by J. Bliss, Nicholas faces a challenge that many in today's society still face. Throughout the text, many scenes of racism occurred mainly with the charact..."
Very good observation! Be sure to capitalize nouns accordingly. Your skill set to examine what you are reading continues to blossom. Keep it up!

message 15: by J. (new)

Tyzell wrote: "I feel a sense that Rashad sees betrayal from his sister Angelica in Chapter 5 where he stated Maybe if you stuck around more often, you would know. But you always have to runoff, get back to your ..."
Nice observations Tyzell and you followed through with displaying support from the text. Keep up the good work. Remember to do spell check and view grammar errors. There are too many errors within this response and words are capitalized in the middle of the sentence that are not needed. See me privately about how to transition/ introduce quotes within the responses. Nevertheless, this is improvement. Awesome!

message 16: by J. (new)

Sontez wrote: "In chapter 8 the author displayed a challenge between Nic, Chrissy parents and Chrissy. Bliss said "It took six years for her father to speak to her after we got married and that was only because h..."
Good work! Your observation of Zaria is nicely demonstrated. I could sense you had more to say about her but I like how you got to the point. Remember to read your post aloud, you missed a few words every now and again in the response. Additionally, make certain you used the proper citation of your quotes. Keep up the good work!