Lit 102 Spring 2020 discussion

Not By Chance
This topic is about Not By Chance
Not by Chance

Comments Showing 1-23 of 23 (23 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new) - added it

J. Bliss | 111 comments Mod
What is a threat the couple is facing within their relationship? How does their reaction reinforce their character traits (speak on behalf of both main characters)?

message 2: by Jendayi (new) - added it

Jendayi Perez (jendayiperez) | 6 comments I believe that the couple is trying to be and sticking together while they both are being eaten up by their past. Andrew's status quo with his parents alongside his looks, to me, allowed him to live the life he was living being too into himself. Jasmine still remembering her past with her relationship and step father, to me, allowed her to be the way she was with being shy and cautious. Though they have interest in one another, both are turned on by how they are. Jasmine sees Andrew as a masterpiece and is turned on by his cocky good looks and charm and Andrew finds the shy young woman exciting and continues to want more.

message 3: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments Jasmine and Drew were sitting in Davio’s, enjoying lunch. Amelia and Jasmine’s ex walk in. Amelia notice Drew along with Jasmine noticing her ex as well. Shortly after realizing Amelia’s butterfly tattoo Jasmine’s mood change. Words were soon exchanged between the two sides, Andrew pulls a gun demanding Jasmine’s ex and Amelia immediately leave the restaurant.

Drew, the masculine gentleman he’s trying to display himself as for Jasmine reinforces why he was so quick to jump for her defense immediately noticing a shift in her atmosphere.
Jasmine, headstrong, refusing to indulge in negativity. Understanding she’s trying to establish her own mental clarity, she’s excited that Drew defused the altercation, yet reluctant towards Drew. Confused as to why did he pull out the gun.

message 4: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments Jasmine and Drew as a couple are facing quite a few threats to their relationship. For instance, they both have a troubled past of emotional and physical abuse. Which has made them both hesitant to a relationship other than just physical intimacy. Then, there's the threat of Jasmine's ex boyfriend and Drew's one time fling Amelia who seems to be crazy obsessed with him. She is an unpredictable threat to their relationship as well as their physical selves due to her pulling a knife on them during Jasmine and Drew's dinner date.

For Jasmine, you caner reaction to the stressors she's facing when attempting to have a relationship with Drew. It shows her character's quality of processing her emotions rationally but staying hesitant to the uncertainty of intimacy with Drew.

Lastly, Drew's reaction to the stress and emotions of the uncertainty of their relationship shows his protective nature in his character. It makes him more dominant in a protective way over Jasmine. To the point of pulling a gun to protect Jasmine from her ex boyfriend and Amelia.

message 5: by Amber (new)

Amber | 16 comments Jamila, I like the points you brought up. I also feel that the tattoo Amelia has was a trigger for Jasmine that made many unpleasant feelings and memories resurface. Which can cause stress on her new relationship with Drew. Especially seeing how he reacted so quickly.

message 6: by Braxton (new)

Braxton | 12 comments In The book not by chance Jasmine and Drew are facing multiple threats one of them are being mentally and physically abused. In the past Jasmine has been physically abused by her mother’s boyfriend this could affect her while she’s in the relationship with Drew when he pulls the gun out on her ex. I believe that was a trigger for Jasmine. Drew could be mentally abused by the way he was raised with his parents of negligence by his father never spending more time with him so he may feel like he has to protect Jasmine and that’s his duty.

message 7: by Braxton (new)

Braxton | 12 comments Amber , I totally agreed with what you said especially with drew being uncertain of their relationship if feels like he has to be very dominant and over protective about jasmine good point !!!

message 8: by Shaunae (last edited Jan 24, 2020 12:57AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shaunae | 20 comments A threat that Jasmine and Drew are facing in their relationship is Jasmine's protection from Amelia, the woman that she saw her ex-fiance with at Davio's, who also had a previous sexual encounter with Drew.

Drew discovers that Amelia is potentially stalking Jasmine and arranges a Private Investigator to keep an eye on her. He learns that Amelia is from Dallas, Texas, just like Jasmine, and the most shocking part is that the name "Amelia" is only an alias and that this name did not exist prior to her buying the ticket to come to Atlanta. This raises suspicions about Amelia's true intentions and causes Drew to be even more concerned about Jasmine’s safety. After a physical altercation between Amelia and Jasmine in the bathroom of Davio’s one night, Drew realizes the situation is more serious than he initially thought and immediately begins to take legal action to protect Jasmine at all costs while he digs deeper into who Amelia really is. This enforces his character trait of being protective and instinctive.

On the other hand, Jasmine is unaware that she is being followed, because Drew has not disclosed this information to her, therefore she is not constantly looking over her shoulders and does not feel as though she is in danger. The night at Davio’s, Amelia confronts Jasmine in the bathroom and pushes her on the ground, which results in a physical altercation. Amelia insists that Jasmine will be seeing her again, but Jasmine does not think much of it...yet. She does not allow that altercation to ruin her mood or her friends’ moods and continues to enjoy the rest of her night. This enforces her character trait of being headstrong and not letting unimportant things hinder her from doing what she wants to do.

message 9: by Jamila (new)

Jamila | 16 comments Replying to Braxton:

I agree, the two are facing multiple threats throughout the story. I also like how you elaborated on cause and effect aspect of the situation. Their past is strongly affecting their reactions.

message 10: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Grant | 11 comments The threats both Jasmine and Drew are facing is continuously referring back to their past trauma events . Through out the stories both characters have detailed memories that have stained them in their adult life. For example , Drew is constantly at odds with his dad . Although, others think highly of his parents . He knows the truth about both parents causing him to have a negative relationship with them both. On the other hand, Jasmine is mainly dealing with learning to accept love. She is still remembering her past with her ex and how devastated she was after getting cheated on the day before the wedding , in which turned out to be Amelia.

message 11: by Anwar (new)

Anwar | 7 comments One threat that the main characters Jasmine and Andrew are facing is the fact that Jasmine is trying to get to know Drew and trust him. In chapter 7, you would see that when Drew pulls out a gun in defense of jasmine, she "flips out" on him. Because of pass trama, she struggles to open up herself up to Drew directly. This is shown in her character by her being so uptight towards most things. Before meeting Drew, Jasmine's life was boring. All she would do is go to school, go home, and to the lake. However, as I continue to read I release that she is starting to "let down her hair a bit." On the other hand, Drew is more protective of jasmine because in my opinion, he never had protection as a child. Drew often talks about how he was neglected as a child and never had the love and affection he needed from both parents. In the past, Drew spoke of how he learned to be promiscuous from watching his father have affairs with different women.

message 12: by Anwar (new)

Anwar | 7 comments Jamila wrote: "Jasmine and Drew were sitting in Davio’s, enjoying lunch. Amelia and Jasmine’s ex walk in. Amelia notice Drew along with Jasmine noticing her ex as well. Shortly after realizing Amelia’s butterfly ..."
Jamila, I love the strong points you mention about both Drew and Jasmine. Drew is a real gentleman! He believes that he clearly has to protect Jasmine from anyone that tries to harm her. This is how I detect that he is falling for her.

message 13: by Mckenzie (new)

Mckenzie Manigault | 11 comments In the book Not By Chance the couples Drew and Jasmine are facing past trauma which is being shown in the way they react to certain things throughout the story . Another threat the couples are facing would be another female being in the picture which is the same female that Jasmine's ex slept with, which is the female Drew messed around with . The reaction that reinforce these characters would be Jasmine acting the way she does with her guard up and Drew being so use to always getting his way he has somebody who truly loves him but is unique and that is different for him .

message 14: by J. (new) - added it

Jendayi wrote: "I believe that the couple is trying to be and sticking together while they both are being eaten up by their past. Andrew's status quo with his parents alongside his looks, to me, allowed him to liv..."

This information is vague and doesn't meet the expectations. This observation is not fully accurate. The lack of quotes to support your claim makes it insufficient. Please see me promptly with an appointment about this matter, asap.

message 15: by J. (new) - added it

Jamila wrote: "Jasmine and Drew were sitting in Davio’s, enjoying lunch. Amelia and Jasmine’s ex walk in. Amelia notice Drew along with Jasmine noticing her ex as well. Shortly after realizing Amelia’s butterfly ..."

Nice details providing details of a threat with the couple; however, the method of the delivery is insufficient. Your post reads as a list and not a discussion post. It s my observation you continue to miss the mark because you are making careless mistakes. I notice zero quotes within the response, alleviating me the opportunity to ascertain if you understand how to quote and examine the text. Remember this is for class not a list. See me privately for clarity on how to improve.

message 16: by J. (new) - added it

Amber wrote: "Jasmine and Drew as a couple are facing quite a few threats to their relationship. For instance, they both have a troubled past of emotional and physical abuse. Which has made them both hesitant to..."

Your observation is nicely conveyed; however, it is missing support from the text to support the response you give. I appreciate you keeping this for the most part in line with a class response. Remember support must be included as I observe if your skill set is advancing.

message 17: by J. (new) - added it

Braxton wrote: "In The book not by chance Jasmine and Drew are facing multiple threats one of them are being mentally and physically abused. In the past Jasmine has been physically abused by her mother’s boyfriend..."

I appreciate this new found observations you share; however, you forgot to insert quotes to support such examination. Remember to capitalize titles of a book and use quotes.

message 18: by J. (new) - added it

Shaunae wrote: "A threat that Jasmine and Drew are facing in their relationship is Jasmine's protection from Amelia, the woman that she saw her ex-fiance with at Davio's, who also had a previous sexual encounter w..."

I appreciate the observations you share regarding Drew's realization of taking legal action to protect Jasmine and how it enforces his character trait of being protective and instinctive. This is what I was looking for and you did a great job stressing how the threat reinforces the character.

Again, you showcase how, Jasmine's experience with the altercation with Amelia stressing her ability to maintain her joy and not let Amelia steal it. Very good. On the other hand, you forgot to insert quotes to support such examination.

message 19: by J. (new) - added it

Brittany wrote: "The threats both Jasmine and Drew are facing is continuously referring back to their past trauma events . Through out the stories both characters have detailed memories that have stained them in th..."
Great word choice as you express your observation! Very impressive to see how you continue to grow with what you are reading. Remember to include quotes to support your response.

message 20: by J. (new) - added it

Anwar wrote: "One threat that the main characters Jasmine and Andrew are facing is the fact that Jasmine is trying to get to know Drew and trust him. In chapter 7, you would see that when Drew pulls out a gun in..."

Thank you for sharing, you forgot to include a quote with the many claims you point out. When giving an opinion a quote must be included. As you continue to post be certain to not repeat the same focal points as your peers. Either post early or read through to not repeat the same ongoing points. Keep reading and you will have a stronger response.

message 21: by J. (new) - added it

Mckenzie wrote: "In the book Not By Chance the couples Drew and Jasmine are facing past trauma which is being shown in the way they react to certain things throughout the story . Another threat the couples are faci..."
Good work showing how the threat stressing the character trait. Remember quotes are required to support your claims as you continue your post. I observe your ability to follow through with your examination of quotes here.

message 22: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel Cabasag | 17 comments One threat that Drew and Jasmine are facing is that they are insecure in their ability to love and be loved.

Jasmine doesn't want to let Drew into the private space in her head beacuse she already had let one person in and he had betrayed every ounce of trust that she poured into him by cheating on her.

Drew understands the textboox definition of love but had never seen it used practically because he never saw his parents as loving one another, so when he meets Jasmine he becomes defensive when he starts to have deeper emotions for her than he's ever had for anyone else, taking from the text "They've all been one night stands, nothing more."

message 23: by Angel (new) - added it

Angel Cabasag | 17 comments Anwar, I think you summarized what most of us feel in a way that is easily understoond and does nto leave room for misinterpretation. I like it.