The Reading Challenge Group discussion

2020 Personal Threads > Holly's 2020 Challenge - Kicking Depression in the Butt!

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Holly, That Geeky One (last edited Feb 02, 2020 05:49AM) (new)

Holly (hollycoulson) | 1949 comments Mod
So some of you (if you've been around for long enough...) remember I used to run this group. For a variety of reasons (getting my undergrad/masters and mental health problems), I ended up stepping down for the most part and giving up on reading for a bit. However, since 2020 is a new year and a new me, I thought I'd try get back into things again!

My main aim is to just read more, especially books I already own. I haven't properly read in so long (depression's a bitch...), and I really want to get back into it. I'll be posting the books I've read, and some more general progress on my reading in part to share with you guys, but also to track for myself the progress I'm making not just in reading, but in my mental health as well!

I'm looking forward to being back and getting into the swing of things again.

My Reading So Far:

- The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu and Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts by Joshua Hammer (25/1)
- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (26/1 - re-read)
- A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine (2/2)

message 2: by Rosemarie, Obsessive Reader (new)

Rosemarie | 3703 comments Mod
Good luck on your reading plans, Holly!

Your plan sounds a lot like mine--read my own books! Of course, I still keep going to the library.

message 3: by Gulshan (new)

Gulshan Naqvee (x1f98agulshanx1f970x1f970) | 11 comments good luck...and with new members life can actually be interesting. there is group on Facebook the book Reading nook. it is a fun group and you can also find pop fun quizzes.. keep me busy somewhat. I'm a first time/ new mom of a toddler 21 months and 6 months old puppy.
depression hit me hard with my son...and I recollected that in 2018 I READ only 16 books.life sucked.. because everything was overwhelming.
finding a group...and some one to he accountable to... started to roll one step ahead of another. some days would be a cry and drag. because nothing could get accomplished..some days are better.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Welcome Back!

I received my Master's Degree in Social Work and now work hand in hand with substance abuse/mental health clients. Been in your shoes with depression and have many clients fighting this invisible disease - just remember to keeping loving yourself - "fight the fight" and "self-care".
Enjoy going back to your personal library and reading your TBR pile.

message 5: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Thank you all so much for your kind words! I kind of lost all interest in the things that used to make me happy, namely reading. I'm hoping that as I start to get better (so far it's been a long 8 month process...) my reading will come back more and more!

I'm actually going to organise my bookshelves today. Having moved my room around several times, they've all gotten out of order and it's been driving my mad (no pun intended...). Hoping going through them all will give me the nudge to finally read more of them!

message 6: by Sonya (new)

Sonya marie madden | 435 comments Holly, I also suffer from depression and anxiety. It's a pain in the butt! Reading has saved me from looking at my own life. My therapist calls it a defense mechanism.

Sonya

message 7: by Holly, That Geeky One (last edited Feb 02, 2020 05:49AM) (new)

And since I've forgotten to update this....

The January Update:

Reading:
- The Bad-Ass Librarians of Timbuktu and Their Race to Save the World’s Most Precious Manuscripts by Joshua Hammer (25/1)
- Little Brother by Cory Doctorow (26/1 - re-read)
- A Memory Called Empire by Arkady Martine (2/2, yes I know this is technically should be in the February update!)

It was a slow start for reading, but it's been very good now I've started. I'm honestly just reading what I fancy, rather than sticking to any plan right now. The Bad-ass Librarians was one on my to-read list for forever, and was similarly sat on my shelves gathering dust for a long time. I can feel myself getting excited by books again, which is an amazing feeling after so long of just general apathy.

The Mental Health Stuff:
I've managed to start a few courses at my local Recovery College, aimed at people with mental health issues, and that has definitely helped the isolation and general nothingness that has been the result of 8 months of depression...

I've also started running (which is something I'd never thought I'd say). Week 1 of Couch to 5k completed!

There's still a long way to go, but lets hope this month is an indication of the year to come!

message 8: by Alessandra (new)

Alessandra (chibisuke) | 266 comments It's great that to have you back, Holly. And starting slowly and what picks your fancy definitely is the right way to go (it's what I do in a moment of depression too).

Congratulations on starting to run. I'm happy to hear that it gives you the positive type of Energy (that one needs to get stuff done :))

Keep going! You're doing great!

message 9: by Renee, Mistress of the Mini-Challenge (new)

Renee M | 4709 comments Mod
So glad you’re here & doing this (both the reading & MH check in). Books, exercise, and classes! Sounds like a great combination! 👏🏼

message 10: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 421 comments It's great to have you back Holly! How was the shelf tidying?

message 11: by Holly, That Geeky One (new)

Shelf tidying was exhausting! Decided it would be easiest just to take everything off the shelves, organise into Authors name, then put back on in the right order. Ended up taking around 2 and a half hours... It does look lovely now it's done though!

message 12: by Sonia (new)

Sonia | 421 comments Holly wrote: "Shelf tidying was exhausting! Decided it would be easiest just to take everything off the shelves, organise into Authors name, then put back on in the right order. Ended up taking around 2 and a ha..."

That sounds like fun to me!

message 13: by Trisha (new)

Trisha | 768 comments Holly wrote: "Shelf tidying was exhausting! Decided it would be easiest just to take everything off the shelves, organise into Authors name, then put back on in the right order. Ended up taking around 2 and a ha..."

Well done! Every weekend I plan to reorganise something & every Monday I regret not doing it. You’ve made me feel guilty, so perhaps it will actually happen soon...