Play Book Tag discussion

Archive: Other Books > [Poll Ballot] Bad Blood: Secrets and Lies in a Silicon Valley Startup, by John Carreyrou (5 stars)

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by KateNZ (last edited Jan 20, 2020 03:00AM) (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments An extraordinary story of manipulation, bullying and greed, a tremendous piece of investigative journalism, and a tribute to the courage of the former Theranos employees who dared to speak out.

I knew next to nothing about Theranos except for some very sketchy details, but the book was recommended by several people in PBT, and they were right - this was a fabulous read. The mix of science, technology, law and ethics (or, rather, the distinct lack of the latter) was irresistable.

Now that the truth is out, of course, it's hard to understand why the Theranos board members and investors bought into the smoke and mirrors for so long - there seemed to be so many warning signs both inside and outside the company. Carreyrou did a good job of trying to explain it, but everything seemed so obvious. Ultimately, I guess, it's a story that shows if people want to believe something badly enough, they will - particularly if it's coated with the veneer of power and privilege and influence.

message 2: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments Always love your input on a book like this Kate-I will have to give this one another look. It was a toss up for me between this one and The Spider Network: The Wild Story of a Math Genius, a Gang of Backstabbing Bankers, and One of the Greatest Scams in Financial History for Delaware. Given my background, I chose this one instead for Delaware. But Bad Blood is there for back-up if I need it! Thanks

message 3: by Shelly (new)

Shelly | 578 comments I really need to get to this one!

message 4: by Meli (new)

Meli (melihooker) | 3400 comments I loved this book! So totally insane.

message 5: by Theresa (last edited Jan 20, 2020 02:14PM) (new)

Theresa | 7431 comments Definitely adding this and Spider Network to my TBR.

I highly recommend The Smartest Guys in the Room: The Amazing Rise and Scandalous Fall of Enron which I read years and years ago.

And for some interesting gossipy trivia...It also inspired a terrific Oscar nominated documentary Enron: The Smartest Guys in the Room which lost because that was the year of March of the Penguins. The producers and distributors are both clients of mine, and said that it was known throughout the industry before the nominations that there was no beating the penguins. It truly was an huge honor to be one of the nominees, and that was where the competition rested - what documentaries were worthy of being nominated and what not.

message 6: by Joanne (new)

Joanne (joabroda1) | 7875 comments Yep, I would have voted for the Penguins too-I loved the film

message 7: by KateNZ (new)

KateNZ | 2504 comments Of course. Because. Penguins.

But the Enron doco (and book) sound great. On the list.