500 Great Books By Women discussion

Reading Women Bingo 2020 > Erin’s Reading Women Bingo 2020 Challenge

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (last edited Sep 15, 2020 08:07AM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments Thank you for putting this together, Aubrey! =)
I’m working on fitting in the books I’d already planned to read and then I’ll see what categories remain.

B1: Published in 1900’s - Novel Without a Name by Dương Thu Hương (finished 29-Apr-20)
B2: Sci Fi - The Fifth Season by N.K. Jemisin
B3: Author Born in Latin America - Rogomelec by Leonor Fini (finished 02-Jun-20)
➜ B4: Queer Theme - Notes of a Crocodile by Qiu Miaojin
B5: Potential Classic (published after 1969) - Beloved by Toni Morrison (finished 15-Apr-20)

I1: Translated - Free Day by Inès Cagnati (finished 22-Mar-20)
I2: Play - A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry (finished 21-Feb-20)
I3: Author with a Disability - To the Lighthouse by Virginia Woolf (finished 04-Jul-20)
I4: Published pre-1800’s - The Pillow Book by Sei Shōnagon
I5: Novella - Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth by Xiaolu Guo (finished 21-Jan-20)

N1: Published in 2000’s - Purple Hibiscus by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (finished 10-Feb-20)
➜ N2: Long Read - Middlemarch by George Eliot
N3: FREE - The Poet X by Elizabeth Acevedo (finished 28-Jul-20)
N4: <1000 GR Ratings - The Barefoot Woman by Scholastique Mukasonga (finished 27-Aug-20)
N5: Fantasy - Akata Witch by Nnedi Okorafor (finished 15-Aug-20)

G1: Published in 1800’s - Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë (finished 14-Mar-20)
G2: Nobel Laureate Author - Sula by Toni Morrison (finished 18-Feb-20)
G3: Author Born in Africa - Maru by Bessie Head (finished 14-Feb-20)
G4: <5000 GR Ratings - La Bastarda: A Novel by Trifonia Melibea Obono (finished 14-Sep-20)
G5: Mystery/Thriller - And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie

➜ O1: <10,000 GR Ratings - Half a Lifelong Romance by Eileen Chang
O2: Author Born in Asia - Human Acts by Han Kang (finished 02-Feb-20)
O3: Poetry - Eye Level: Poems by Jenny Xie (finished 12-Feb-20) & Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth by Warsan Shire (finished 15-Jun-20)
O4: Nonfiction - The Origin of Others by Toni Morrison (finished 08-Jul-20)
O5: Short Story Collection - Te Kaihau: The Windeater by Keri Hulme (finished 19-Mar-20)

message 2: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Glad to see you join the challenge, Erin! You've a number of good works planned, so I'm looking forward to your thoughts.

message 3: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 250 comments I'm so curious about many of these, Erin. And glad that you'll be reading The Wreath--you'll join our KL fan club after that I'm sure! I added Women of Sand and Myrrh, which I remember hearing about but it somehow slipped off my radar.

Thanks, and have fun!

message 4: by Erin (last edited Jan 22, 2020 06:31PM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments Thank you, Audrey and Kathleen! :) I am excited to read these!

I just finished Twenty Fragments of a Ravenous Youth and it was really good! Honestly, the cover blurb does not do it justice!

message 5: by Erin (last edited Aug 28, 2020 03:55PM) (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments I finished Human Acts by Han Kang which was devastating but so well done, recommended for everyone.

message 6: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments Making progress! :) I recently finished the shorty story collection, Te Kaihau: The Windeater by Keri Hulme — highly recommended!

message 7: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Erin wrote: "Making progress! :) I recently finished the shorty story collection, Te Kaihau: The Windeater by Keri Hulme — highly recommended!"

Glad you liked that one, Erin. For a Booker winner, Hulme is severely underrated.

message 8: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments Aubrey wrote: "Erin wrote: "Making progress! :) I recently finished the shorty story collection, Te Kaihau: The Windeater by Keri Hulme — highly recommended!"

Glad you liked that one, ..."

Thank you for the recommendation! I do wish more people would read her work! I wonder if many potential readers are put off by the strangeness of the first story or two in Te Kaihau: The Windeater — it did make me worry at first whether I would understand anything, but then it was first a relief and then a delight to find what variety there was! This is a book that I would like to find a copy of to reread in the future but it seems out of print and hard to find, alas.

message 9: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments I finished reading Free Day, a book I happened upon in the New section of my library, before it closed, written by the daughter of Italian immigrants to southern France last century. There were parts that I liked, and in a way I feel bad not to have liked it better, but for me the way it was told didn’t work — see my review if interested, and note that many liked it far more than I did.

message 10: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments I just read Rogomelec by Leonor Fini for B3 (author born in Latin America). Leonor Fini was born in Argentina but grew up in Italy and then moved to France. I am intrigued to learn more about her life and work and will be on the lookout for a book of her paintings!

I enjoyed this book and only wish it had been longer or perhaps it was just that I was expecting certain things to happen or motifs to recur. That isn’t a criticism of the book but perhaps of the cover blurb and intro as “...will lead to a shocking discovery...” put ideas in my head and embarking on this surreal journey without any preconceived notions might have been better still.

message 11: by Aubrey (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Erin wrote: "I just read Rogomelec by Leonor Fini for B3 (author born in Latin America). Leonor Fini was born in Argentina but grew up in Italy and then moved to France. I am in..."

I'm glad to hear that this went well, Erin. The author's the type of person whose existence I find to be borderline too good to be true, and I can't wait to be able to acquire a copy. I'll keep your criticism regarding its accompanying advertising material in mind.

message 12: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments Aubrey wrote: "Erin wrote: "I just read Rogomelec by Leonor Fini for B3 (author born in Latin America). Leonor Fini was born in Argentina but grew up in Italy and then moved to Fr..."

Thank you for bringing it to my attention! It was through seeing it added to your TBR that I learned of it and it so intrigued me, I had to get a copy. =) The introduction is certainly interesting and informative, but at least for me for this work, I think it may have been better to read it after the story.

I am eager to find more works that give me such an experience, but it is difficult to define and can be found across several genre/literary traditions in different varieties... How can I describe it? I thought Ficciones would be such a work but it is instead what such a work would be if it were dehydrated, dissected, carefully preserved and meticulously labeled and annotated. I am sure I do Borges a disservice and I must try reading him again sometime but that is exactly how it seemed to me!

On a completely unrelated topic, how do you format quotes from books in your reviews so that they are properly indented? I could not find any tags that worked.

message 13: by Aubrey (last edited Jun 03, 2020 01:41PM) (new)

Aubrey (korrick) | 2004 comments Erin wrote: "Aubrey wrote: "Erin wrote: "I just read Rogomelec by Leonor Fini for B3 (author born in Latin America). Leonor Fini was born in Argentina but grew up in Italy and t..."

Using the HTML < blockquote > text to be indented < blockquote > without the spaces is how I center my quotes.

You can see the results here.

As for more like Fini, Carrington's The Hearing Trumpet comes immediately to mind, as does Colette's The Pure and the Impure, Loy's The Lost Lunar Baedeker: Poems of Mina Loy, and Ocampo's Thus Were Their Faces, although I'm less sure about that last one as I am with recommending Lispector in general. Granted, I haven't read Fini or Carrington and didn't love everything I have read, but I didn't hate any of it either. I'd be interested in your thoughts on how any of these works if you haven't already read them.

message 14: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments Thank you, Aubrey! =)

message 15: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments I wouldn’t normally list more than one book for a category, but I wanted to bring attention to Teaching My Mother How to Give Birth by Warsan Shire. I just listened to the audiobook read by the author and I highly recommend it!

message 16: by Kathleen (new)

Kathleen | 250 comments I just love that about these challenges! Thanks for bringing it to our attention, Erin--it looks excellent.

message 17: by Erin (new)

Erin (erinm31) | 24 comments I recently finished La Bastarda: A Novel by Trifonia Melibea Obono for a Great African Reads group read; it’s the first work by an Equatorial Guinean woman to be translated to English. It could fulfill any of several categories for RWB including author born in Africa, <1000 GR ratings, queer theme, translated and novella. It’s different than books I usually prefer, being quite spare, but I think that it worked well and fairytale type of feel to the telling — I recommend it!