Play Book Tag discussion

Dark Sacred Night (Harry Bosch, #21; Renée Ballard, #2; Harry Bosch Universe, #31)
This topic is about Dark Sacred Night
January 2020: Thriller > [poll ballot]Dark Sacred Night, by Michael Connelly, 3 stars

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by NancyJ (last edited Jan 19, 2020 09:56PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

NancyJ (nancyjjj) | 4887 comments This is the second book in the Renee Ballard series in the Harry Bosch universe. Harry is poking around in file drawers after hours in Renee’s division, where he doesn’t belong. Renee gets curious and they end up working a Cold case together. Renee’s personality doesn’t show through in this book as much as in the last one, which is disappointing. She seems a lot like Harry. They are both work horses willing to put aside their own lives to solve a case, and they’re not seeking recognition. They’re also both willing to break the rules, break the law, and cross lines in order to solve a case. The plot has the action you’d expect in a thriller, but curiously I was most enthralled by the step by step processes they used to find clues in a very old case. I’ve grown to accept some rule breaking by cops, but it seems to be getting more excessive imo, with no apparent guilt or consequences.

message 2: by Charlie (last edited Jan 21, 2020 06:06PM) (new)

Charlie  Ravioli (charlie_ravioli) | 393 comments Wow, I can't imagine Renee's personality shining thru less than the first book (somebody put a mirror under her nose to see if she's still breathing, please)! I also completely agree with your comment about the rule breaking, it's like everything is by the book in these procedurals until they completely are NOT, and yes, absolutely no remorse. Good thing Lady Justice is already blind because if she wasn't, she'd probably gouge her eyes out.