What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

UNSOLVED: One specific book > YA book re: psychological abuse or mental illness, from the early 90s, fiction or nonfiction?

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nanaboos_bookends) | 2 comments I was an avid reader and my mom would take me to a kids' book store in the late 80s early 90s and have the clerk suggest books for me. That's how I ended up with this weird, disturbing book about a boy suffering abuse or maybe mental illness. Somehow sitcom characters from an 80s/90s show were involved. Not really them, but he hallucinated them, or his abusers pretended to be them. It's all vague to me now, but I'm curious to see if it's as disturbing to me as an adult as it was to me as a kid.

Edited to add: it seems along the same lines as books by Torey L. Hayden, or Sybil, or Magic Castle by Carole Smith, or A Child Called It or When Rabbit Howls... But I don't think it's any of those

message 2: by SamSpayedPI (new)

SamSpayedPI | 2070 comments Probably not Little Ralphie and the Creature but I thought I'd throw it out there. I don't remember there being sitcom characters, but it's been a long time since I read it.

message 3: by Rainbowheart (new)

Rainbowheart | 19064 comments Maybe check books by Mary MacCracken?

She's similar to Torey Hayden.

message 4: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (daisyporter) | 745 comments In Ghost Girl by Torey Hayden, Jadie describes some bizarre experiences that include characters from the show Dallas. (view spoiler)

message 5: by Nancy (new)

Nancy (nanaboos_bookends) | 2 comments Daisy wrote: "In Ghost Girl by Torey Hayden, Jadie describes some bizarre experiences that include characters from the show Dallas. [spoilers removed]"

I think this might be it! Dallas seems familiar. I read it as a child (maybe 6th or 7th grade) and it terrified me. Definitely disturbing.
Thanks.

message 6: by Daisy (new)

Daisy (daisyporter) | 745 comments I can't believe someone gave this book to a child! It's a terrifying, disturbing read.